Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched the Out of Spec episode where they took the R11T in some slippery & snowy conditions and there is some concerning revelations.

1) Headlights ice over because the LED's don't put out enough heat.
2) Rear diff locks up under regen braking.

My daily commute is over a very snowy, very icy, very steep (10% grade) mountain pass and I've been concerned with the weight of the truck it would struggle on icy inclines. Seeing this review does not ease my concerns. I understand the rear diff problem could be corrected with an OTA updated snow/mud drive setting, but not sure there is much they can do about the headlights. Maybe I'm wrong 🤷‍♂️

I've been making this drive everyday for 5+ years so I've driven through some gnarly conditions, however stakes are raised when you're driving a $90k truck with service/repair unknowns.

Anyone else concerned?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Hey @TetonR1T I've had LED headlights on other cars get snow ice stuck to them. You'll either have to brush it off yourself or try a hydrophobic spray.

It's annoying because LEDs provide way better visibility than Halogens you'd think car companies would solve this issue already. What do you currently drive for your daily commute?

·
Registered
24 Posts
@TetonR1T In the following videos, he does also comment that the lights freezing seemed to be an isolated incident, it didn't happen again and he put a couple thousand miles on it. as for the regen locking up in the snow, I'm sure that will be updated in software, but in the meantime, you could shut it off in the snow?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Just watched the Out of Spec episode where they took the R11T in some slippery & snowy conditions
If you're going to comment on a video it would be nice to provide a link / cite your source. For the record, it's here:

In the following videos, he does also comment that the lights freezing seemed to be an isolated incident, it didn't happen again and he put a couple thousand miles on it.
Yes, I saw that too. The initial lights comment was in the above video at 3:14. The follow-up comment was in the later video
at 9:30. In this second video he showed how the entire light bar and most of the front of was iced over, but the lights were clear.

As far as the lockup of the rear wheels mentioned in the first video, yes that's something to pay attention to, but I was disappointed that he didn't use any of the normal drive mode settings to test the behavior in snow - he fiddled with everything, resulting in a non-standard settings that perhaps Rivian didn't anticipate would be used in snow. For example, he set stability control to "low" and regen to "high", which may or may not have hurt the performance. I would have greatly preferred a test in "Auto" or some other mode where we could evaluate whether the software was making the right decision, as opposed to some customized (and changing) mode where we're basically evaluating whether Kyle made the right choice.

Kyle suggested Rivian should add a new "Mud/Snow" mode (at 19:37), which may be a good idea as that would help people make the right choice for mode. Regardless, as things like this get pointed out Rivian can address them with an OTA update if necessary, because this is all software.

I've been concerned with the weight of the truck it would struggle on icy inclines
Note that in the first video, he had NO problems at all on the uphill portion of the drive - he raved about how well it did and how it felt like he was "just driving to Starbucks in the morning" (at 18:25). The problem with the locking brakes at low speed was on the downhill section, and I'm not sure exactly what mode he had it in at that point because he kept changing the settings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Currently driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Rivian will be my first EV and first pickup. Hence the trepidation.
If you're going to comment on a video it would be nice to provide a link / cite your source. For the record, it's here:

Yes, I saw that too. The initial lights comment was in the above video at 3:14. The follow-up comment was in the later video
at 9:30. In this second video he showed how the entire light bar and most of the front of was iced over, but the lights were clear.

As far as the lockup of the rear wheels mentioned in the first video, yes that's something to pay attention to, but I was disappointed that he didn't use any of the normal drive mode settings to test the behavior in snow - he fiddled with everything, resulting in a non-standard settings that perhaps Rivian didn't anticipate would be used in snow. For example, he set stability control to "low" and regen to "high", which may or may not have hurt the performance. I would have greatly preferred a test in "Auto" or some other mode where we could evaluate whether the software was making the right decision, as opposed to some customized (and changing) mode where we're basically evaluating whether Kyle made the right choice.

Kyle suggested Rivian should add a new "Mud/Snow" mode (at 19:37), which may be a good idea as that would help people make the right choice for mode. Regardless, as things like this get pointed out Rivian can address them with an OTA update if necessary, because this is all software.

Note that in the first video, he had NO problems at all on the uphill portion of the drive - he raved about how well it did and how it felt like he was "just driving to Starbucks in the morning" (at 18:25). The problem with the locking brakes at low speed was on the downhill section, and I'm not sure exactly what mode he had it in at that point because he kept changing the settings.
There is no rear diff on the R1T quad-motor…. There will be on the dual motor config — but those aren’t being delivered yet.
yeah I’m no car expert just using the term he used. The spirit of the observation is more important than the actual terminology.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

my bad, everyone on here seems so dialed in with content I wrongly assumed it would be understood…

Couldn’t agree more. Wish he tried to find the best setting instead of randomly cycling through settings without coming to the best way to combat the problem. Guess these are issues early adopters have to work through on there own, no silver bullets…

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@TetonR1T In the following videos, he does also comment that the lights freezing seemed to be an isolated incident, it didn't happen again and he put a couple thousand miles on it. as for the regen locking up in the snow, I'm sure that will be updated in software, but in the meantime, you could shut it off in the snow?
Change tires to winter tires will make a big difference
Will obviously be running winter tires, however as mentioned if you’re on a 10% grade hill sheet ice that won’t make a difference if the wheels lock up. Just a concern I thought I’d throw out to see what others thoughts are…

·
Registered
542 Posts
You gotta admire the guy though. Doing all of this in real time and being entertaining at the same time is pretty remarkable.

Note that the lockup only happened below ~7 mph. Not ideal, but also relatively low risk unless you're on ice; and it's just the rear, which is also low risk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

You gotta admire the guy though. Doing all of this in real time and being entertaining at the same time is pretty remarkable.

Note that the lockup only happened below ~7 mph. Not ideal, but also relatively low risk unless you're on ice; and it's just the rear, which is also low risk.
yep, unfortunately my commute is chalk full of terrified winter drivers that will absolutely be driving under 10 mph down an icy hill so I’m at their mercy. Fairly heavy traffic both up and down (plus no shoulder) doesn’t give me a lot of outs if I lose traction and start sliding. I understand my circumstances are super specific but I figured with the number of CO adopters this might be on their minds as well.
Appreciate the input from everyone! So excited about the truck but issues like this just give me pause…probably just looking for reassurances lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Never been afraid of the way up, that’s the fun part ;)

·
Registered
542 Posts
yep, unfortunately my commute is chalk full of terrified winter drivers that will absolutely be driving under 10 mph down an icy hill so I’m at their mercy. Fairly heavy traffic both up and down (plus no shoulder) doesn’t give me a lot of outs if I lose traction and start sliding. I understand my circumstances are super specific but I figured with the number of CO adopters this might be on their minds as well.
Appreciate the input from everyone! So excited about the truck but issues like this just give me pause…probably just looking for reassurances lol
Haha, oof. Your much bigger risk is clearly the people you share the road with as opposed to your vehicle's capabilities :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Grand Cherokee is a great car. What tires do you run?
I bet overall, even on the downhill, the Rivian will be the safer vehicle. Just a hunch.
I’ve liked my GC, few quibbles here and there with fit and finish compared to my past Japanese cars, but having a local service shop steered me to trying a Jeep. I’ve been running stock OEM summer tires and Nokian 10’s studded in the winter, treated me well even with a few pucker moments as to be expected. As per your previous post, yes other drivers are always the main concern, but things get real often on the pass and sometimes it’s out of your control. Don’t want another variable added to the mix regardless of how confident I am in my winter driving skills (they’re called accidents for a reason right?). I sure hope the rivian proves to be safer, but I’m nervous as hell driving a car that is already on the far end of my budget with no reassurance of acceptable repair timelines. Was stoked to finally have a truck that wasn’t light in the ass (needing sandbags), only to see that review and consider the weight might be a issue (downhill stopping) in its own right. Not a deal killer just something I’m noodling on as an EV novice…

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.