Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
impressive platform - stable, quick and problem free. The ability to use a WD hitch is a welcomed benefit along with the built in trailer brake controller (cool integration with the steering wheel).
The range isn’t horrible given the elevation changes, trailer weight and climate. But definitely need the larger battery pack. The only unknown is why the truck won’t charge at a higher rate and consistent ramp. The payload is still an issue for larger RV’s, especially when adding the larger battery I’m sure. Especially, Rivian has engineered an awesome pickup.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The only unknown is why the truck won’t charge at a higher rate and consistent ramp.
Others have questioned this. FWIW, one response I read, and asked for elaboration, from a source that has been to the Rivian plant, drove the R1T and spoke with Rivian employees, indicated the charge rate is currently software limited and there plans for it to get better.

·
Registered
2017 Prius, 2012 Tacoma, 2012 Vespa GTV300
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know why they only obtained 2% regen during the decent portion of the test? Was it because they hadn’t selected max regen? They had it set at 5/10.

·
Registered
498 Posts
For people surprised at the high loss of range/battery percent SOC.. keep in mind 1 gal of gas = 33.7kWh. So the R1T's 135kWh battery is only equivalent to 4 gallons of gasoline.

Put 4 gal of gas in your favorite V8 pickup truck (which still has way less hp/torque than the R1T) an see how far you make it towing 8.5K lbs uphill at 60mph in the winter :oops:

I wish they would mention those facts on the post-tow wrapup video.

·
Registered
38 Posts
For people surprised at the high loss of range/battery percent SOC.. keep in mind 1 gal of gas = 33.7kWh. So the R1T's 135kWh battery is only equivalent to 4 gallons of gasoline.

Put 4 gal of gas in your favorite V8 pickup truck (which still has way less hp/torque than the R1T) an see how far you make it towing 8.5K lbs uphill at 60mph in the winter :oops:

I wish they would mention those facts on the post-tow wrapup video.
I never knew that - thanks for the post. That really does put things into perspective! It's actually amazing to think how efficient these trucks really are. 314mi of range of a heavy vehicle for 4 gallons of gas. I'd get about 1/3 of that with my little 4-banger Subaru Baja. Puts a smile on my face.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It would be instructive to see the results for the same towing test using an ICE. I bet the drop in gas mileage going up is pretty dramatic. The braking and down shifting going down will be a bit annoying.

·
Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
141 Posts
It would be instructive to see the results for the same towing test using an ICE. I bet the drop in gas mileage going up is pretty dramatic. The braking and down shifting going down will be a bit annoying.
Check their youtube channel. They have done the same test on a lot of gas and diesel trucks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I never knew that - thanks for the post. That really does put things into perspective! It's actually amazing to think how efficient these trucks really are. 314mi of range of a heavy vehicle for 4 gallons of gas. I'd get about 1/3 of that with my little 4-banger Subaru Baja. Puts a smile on my face.
I think this is a little misleading. While gasoline may have a 33.7 kWh of energy density, the combustion engine is only about 30-35% efficient in creating usable energy by the car, with the balance energy available gasoline going to waste heat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's exactly the point. Energy is energy - it lets us compare fairly among different energy delivery systems. The focus has always been on the reduction of green house gasses with EVs. But this also highlights just how bad ICE systems are at using the massive amount of energy stored in this incredibly energy dense resource.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think this is a little misleading. While gasoline may have a 33.7 kWh of energy density, the combustion engine is only about 30-35% efficient in creating usable energy by the car, with the balance energy available gasoline going to waste heat.
And let’s not forget that the ICE is spewing toxic crap into the air we breath!

·
Registered
217 Posts
No one mentioned that when they ACCELERATED SO HARD that they lost the chase truck THAT USED A BUNCH OF THE BATTERY!
SO THE RANGE TEST WAS F__KED!
THEY KNOW BETTER!
My guess is that they lost 10 miles at least
When I floor my performance Y it seems to take 1% every time
Can't imagine what that ACCELERATION with a #8000 pound non aerodynamic brick behind it took from the "RANGE TEST"
I want to like these guys but they do some
DUMB S__T!
BE CURIOUS what they would have had if they didn't pull that stunt

RANT OUT!
😆

·
Registered
2017 Prius, 2012 Tacoma, 2012 Vespa GTV300
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree but unfortunately they do this every single friggen time they do this test with every single tow vehicle. Therefore, I think they felt they'd have to do it with the R1T in order to maintain some continuity. I also feel that they kind of have to demonstrate that any tow vehicle is able to properly accelerate to highway speed in order to safely merge with traffic. However, I agree that he could've been a little less aggressive.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It would be instructive to see the results for the same towing test using an ICE.
Let me summarize the above link 2022 Tundra Vs 2021 F150 Hybrid
These are the numbers from their tests along with the timestamp where they presented the numbers.

2022 Tundra:
MPG: 24 (@time 14:05)
MPG when towing: 12.4 (@time 22:14)
Range reduction when towing = 48%

2021 F150 Hybrid:
MPG: 36 (@time 23:25)
MPG when towing: 11.8 (@time 12:20)
Range reduction when towing = 63%

TFL says that "both trucks did better than expected"

So why does everyone complain about Rivian's towing, when Rivian gets the same sort of range reduction when towing as other leading vehicles?

Check their youtube channel. They have done the same test on a lot of gas and diesel trucks.
Yes, but the problem is that as far as I can tell they don't present the results in the way we need to make a comparison. I would like to see a table like this comparing all the vehicles they've tested, along with the Rivian. But I had to go through that whole video just to get four numbers - I'm not going to do that for all the other comparisons.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Let me summarize the above link 2022 Tundra Vs 2021 F150 Hybrid
These are the numbers from their tests along with the timestamp where they presented the numbers.

2022 Tundra:
MPG: 24 (@time 14:05)
MPG when towing: 12.4 (@time 22:14)
Range reduction when towing = 48%

2021 F150 Hybrid:
MPG: 36 (@time 22:14)
MPG when towing: 11.8 (@time 23:15)
Range reduction when towing = 63%

TFL says that "both trucks did better than expected"

So why does everyone complain about Rivian's towing, when Rivian gets the same sort of range reduction when towing as other leading vehicles?

Yes, but the problem is that as far as I can tell they don't present the results in the way we need to make a comparison. I would like to see a table like this comparing all the vehicles they've tested, along with the Rivian. But I had to go through that whole video just to get four numbers - I'm not going to do that for all the other comparisons.
I would love to see all trims of the f150 side by side (hybrid, lighting, gas, and diesel)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I think it’s a combination of factors.
  • Most people are unfamiliar with EVs. We tend to be scared or at least cautious with things that are ‘new’
  • Gas stations are everywhere. It’s rare to be concerned with “where is the next gas station”
  • refueling an ICE vehicle is a ~5 minute affair. Stopping for 5 minutes every 90 minutes is more palatable than charging an EV for 40 minutes every 90 minutes (assuming there are even DCFCs located that close on your route)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts