Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know which tires would do better in the rain. I am leaning towards the 20AT tire because of the look and possibly getting more miles from the tire due to the beefy tread design. Here in SW Florida everyday it rains pretty heavy in the afternoon.
Thanks.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I wouldn't assume that. Just because the 20" tires have a knobbier tread pattern does not necessarily equate to water shedding or channeling capabilities. Tires are purpose built construction. High speed, snow, off roading, water, race, etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
AT tires are typically designed for loose surfaces (e.g., dirt, sand,...) and not hard wet surfaces. AW tires do just fine in rain. Both 21 and 22 are AW tires from Pirelli.

Some of the best tires in the wet paved roads are summer performance tires.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Goodyear says the tire tread depth is the greatest factor in minimizing the chances of hydroplaning.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I wouldn't assume that. Just because the 20" tires have a knobbier tread pattern does not necessarily equate to water shedding or channeling capabilities. Tires are purpose built construction. High speed, snow, off roading, water, race, etc.
I would agree with this. In general AT tires are some of the worst in rain. They have harder compounds, larger lugs, and less siping. From tire rack reviews the OEM 21” tire seems to have the best wet performance.

On another note against AT tires for you. They will only hinder on road performance and drive. And I imagine in S FL the only possible off road scenario would be sand which AT tires are also quite poor in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Goodyear says the tire tread depth is the greatest factor in minimizing the chances of hydroplaning.
If all things being equal, then yes. But tread pattern matters as much as the tread depth.

Water (rain) is incompressible unlike gas, so the water has to go somewhere else between the tire contact patch and the road. The reason tread depth is important is because it can help move the water out of the way from the contact patch; hence the tire on the road. That said, in terms of traction, it matters where that water goes. That's where the tread pattern comes in.

A better tread design will help move the water away from the tires path and help reduce head build up of water (think of moving your hand across the surface of the water, you'll see a small build up of water immediately in front of your moving hand). The water volume is being propagated in the front, which is exactly what happens to the tire when being driven.

So that's probably more than you wanted to know but tire design is nothing but constant tradeoff of how it performs in different conditions vs weather/temperature vs adhesion to the road vs wear life....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts