Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ram revealed during the Stellantis EV day livestream that there will be a 1500 EV that's coming in 2024 and that it will have a range of up to 500 miles.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Wow, hope this is NOT the shape of the 2024 model because it looks like a 2021 model. At LEAST style it differently Stellantis. Do do the Ford Lightning thing.
It's a full size truck from a legacy manufacturer trying to appease their existing customer base. It's also only 3 years away... Expecting a radically different design is unrealistic.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's a full size truck from a legacy manufacturer trying to appease their existing customer base. It's also only 3 years away... Expecting a radically different design is unrealistic.
To add it's not even a prototype, it's a mock up drawing. Who knows what the final product will look like. Bottom line though is I think there is a large market for EV trucks that look like traditional trucks. It's personally why I like the Rivian over the CT or the Hummer. If I didn't have a strong aversion to Ford I would consider their entrant as well. Looking forward to see more traditional EV trucks from GM and Ram in the years ahead.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
A 500 mile range would be quite the feat considering how little Dodge/Jeep/Ram have been involved in EV technology so far. I'm skeptical to say the least that they can pull that number off.

They also have a hybrid version coming that they're calling the Range Electric Paradigm Breaker (no idea what that actually means).

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
A 500 mile range would be quite the feat considering how little Dodge/Jeep/Ram have been involved in EV technology so far. I'm skeptical to say the least that they can pull that number off.

They also have a hybrid version coming that they're calling the Range Electric Paradigm Breaker (no idea what that actually means).

500 miles is incredible and has me wondering how far off were are from a heavy duty electric pickup.
For all we know Ram could use some of this in a 2500 HD EV, or at least a hybridized version that we're likely to see first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If it looks like my 2019 ram 1500 and has a frunk, I'd choose it over anything else. Only reason I'm here is that ram doesn't have an EV. I don't know if expecting radically different designs or bold moves from Ram is out of the question. Chrysler loves to do weird shit so long as it has a lot of horsepower. They won't let GM have the last laugh at the most absurd EV truck just like they didn't with the TRX.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
If it looks like my 2019 ram 1500 and has a frunk, I'd choose it over anything else. Only reason I'm here is that ram doesn't have an EV. I don't know if expecting radically different designs or bold moves from Ram is out of the question. Chrysler loves to do weird shit so long as it has a lot of horsepower. They won't let GM have the last laugh at the most absurd EV truck just like they didn't with the TRX.
As for design, an approach like what Ford did with the Lightning is best.
Otherwise Ram risks losing potential customers.

We can sort of seeing it happening already...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The CEO of Ram recently said in an interview that an extended range Ram 1500 will launch alongside the standard range Ram in 2024.

Ram is making a big deal about the full-electric Ram 1500 coming in 2024, as well it should. It will be a major competitor to the Ford F-150 Lightning and Chevy Silverado EV, and it will have an interesting development process with input from Ram fans. An all-electric model would generally be big enough product news, but it's getting an interesting addition: a range-extender model.

We learned this in an interview with Ram CEO Mike Koval Jr. He noted that it will be a part of Ram trying to respond to customer interests and concerns, as well as offering more than expected. He didn't go into detail about the powertrain, but it will launch alongside the electric model in 2024. It sounded as though it will be based on the electric truck, but with some sort of gasoline engine to provide power. It's not clear if it would be a pure series hybrid a la BMW i3, or if the engine would engage the wheels to provide some propulsion.

We think there's one big area where this powertrain makes sense: towing. While capable of towing huge amounts, electric vehicles tend to lose a drastic amount of range when towing. And especially with an underdeveloped charging network, it would make towing any distance frustrating — and a big issue, when towing is a big reason for owning a large truck. Introducing an internal combustion engine for occasional towing would mean that a Ram buyer could have a much more efficient experience, and still have full EV capability when not towing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts