Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to determine whether/which Rivian R1S can consistently get me to my vacation home under worst-case scenario without requiring charging stop: winter temps, highway speed, the uphill direction.

I have owned a Chevy Volt for 11 years, so I am more than aware the impact of temperature on range and the significant delta between summer and winter range as a result. As well as the large impact that speed and hills has on range.

This site seems to handle all the calculations I'm looking for to determine whether an EV makes it under these criteria or requires a charging stop. But it doesn't have Rivian in it's selection of vehicles. Are there any other sites that have similar functionality and include Rivian? Or any vehicles on that site that you think for which I can safely proxy in the Rivian?

fwiw, my drive that must be handled without charge stop is 170 miles, highway speed, start sea level and end 2500', winter temps.

Yes, I understand that charging stops are not the end of the world. But, this trip is done frequently enough, and often at night with sleeping family, that my EV requirement is that this trip can be done without a stop.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you used ABRP?
Yes. Maybe I need to create an account to get more metrics, though, because when I do it all I get is an answer of 0 charges and no visibility into speed, temperature, that the mountainous terrain was considered, how many kwh were consumed, etc.... I'll create an account and play more with that site, though. Thank you.

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Agreed - with 100% SOC it won't be an issue. On ABRP, if you make it a round trip, it would show you where / when / how long you would need to charge at a minimum to make it back home. You do this by adding a waypoint for your vaca home (between your home addresses), and you don't need any subscription to do this on the ABRP site. You just need to add your vehicle information and your SOC at the start, with anything else you can configure in the settings for free. It's not perfect, but it does the job

1 - 5 of 5 Posts