Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I’m trying to decide between the 20” all terrain dark and the 22” sport dark for my Glacier White R1S. Do you know what effect the 20” vs 22” has on range?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Been discussed and reviewed all over the place, and it's even in the FAQ on the Rivian site. Rivian says 10%-15% loss for the 20" and 5%-10% loss for the 22". The baseline EPA estimate is for the 21".

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I don't understand why the rim size makes a difference in range. Would the tire, off-road vs. road make a bigger difference?
Probably has to do with difference in weight and especially conservation of momentum. Larger wheels typically use more metal, and would often weigh more. Even if you had two wheels of differing diameter and the same weight the larger diameter wheel will resist changes in speed more than a smaller wheel (aka less efficient).

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don't understand why the rim size makes a difference in range. Would the tire, off-road vs. road make a bigger difference?
Generally that's correct. The road tires should do better than the off road tires. Smaller should do better than larger. I'm assuming the EPA range shown for each battery pack is based on the standard tire offered. On the Explore rated at 314 it is the 21" road tire offered as standard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts