Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed a rattling sound when the R1T is in conserve mode? I almost always keep my truck in conserve mode driving around town but on the occassions I've switched to all-purpose I hear a noticable difference going over bumps and so on. Much quieter and no rattles. This sound has been there since day 1 and hasn't gotten worse, so I don't feel like it's an issue but I'm curious if it's just me. Maybe it just has to do with how the rear wheel motors are disengaged?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Yes. In addition to a rattle, I now have a noticeable "creak" when I accelerate or brake. It is coming directly from the front driver's side suspension. I recorded video of it in a parking lot and submitted the video with my first service ticket. Will advise, but so far service has been slow to respond (not surprising as they seem focussed on deliveries and are just ramping up support at my local SC). I will say this: If you are having any issues, the techs all seem to want media uploaded with any ticket or request for service - Likely so they can be most efficient with remote diagnostics before sending a service tech out, OR having you come into the SC. I'm sure it also helps to create a database of known issues internally at Rivian, then they catalogue them all, and track them. This is not something that they are very explicit about when you create a ticket, and my impression is that they will request media, then sit on tickets and wait until you provide as much detail as possible, along with the media. I haven't noticed any performance issues or pulling to one side or anything bad. Just some noises that should not be there, leading me to believe that there might need to be some additional torque applied somewhere in my suspension. Guides (at least mine) are not proactive at all on service tickets FYI.

·
Registered
Rivian R1T Adventure Edition
12 Posts
I took delivery of my R1T on 6/1 and I'm hearing this sound too. It's most noticeable at slower speeds. I've been driving in conserve mode and haven't checked to see if this noise is present in other drive modes. I placed a GoPro under the truck and made some recordings. I have an open ticket and I'm going to send it to the SC today. I'll report back with any information I receive, but it seems safe so far.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I read somewhere the rattle might be the tailgate opening floor cover that covers the gap between the tailgate and the bed of the vehicle when you drop the tailgate. I think I read somewhere that when the tailgate is up, this floor piece is loose and can make a rattling sound.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read somewhere the rattle might be the tailgate opening floor cover that covers the gap between the tailgate and the bed of the vehicle when you drop the tailgate. I think I read somewhere that when the tailgate is up, this floor piece is loose and can make a rattling sound.
Interesting - I can see how that would be the case, but at least for me it really does go away when I change drive modes. Not sure how engaging the rear motors would would affect the bed cover. But I'll check whether that floor piece is loose in any case. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do have a rattling sound inside the truck coming from inside the dashboard right under the center screen. It comes and goes and sounds like a loose screw or wire hitting the dashboard cover. When you hit it with your hand, it makes the same noise as when driving on a not too smooth road. My truck has to go back to the service center to fix a short fuse due to water intrusion in the compressor, so I was hoping they can also fix the dashboard rattle.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Interesting - I can see how that would be the case, but at least for me it really does go away when I change drive modes. Not sure how engaging the rear motors would would affect the bed cover. But I'll check whether that floor piece is loose in any case. Thanks!
Doesn't changing drive mode change the suspension height? Perhaps the height is what makes a difference with the noise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doesn't changing drive mode change the suspension height? Perhaps the height is what makes a difference with the noise.
That's a good suggestion, thanks! I just tried flipping through the three suspension heights available in the all purpose mode while on a short drive just now and didn't get the rattle on any of them. And i hear it in both standard and lowest suspension height in conserve mode.

So still seems linked to drive mode, at least in my case.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a rattle that I was pretty sure was coming from near the drivers side A pillar. turns out it was the roof rack not fully locked down. The locking mechanism was in the locked position, but the black cover was not closed tight over the keyhole.

·
Registered
2006 Ford F-250 Powerstroke 6.0 Diesel
32 Posts
Has anyone else noticed a rattling sound when the R1T is in conserve mode? I almost always keep my truck in conserve mode driving around town but on the occassions I've switched to all-purpose I hear a noticable difference going over bumps and so on. Much quieter and no rattles. This sound has been there since day 1 and hasn't gotten worse, so I don't feel like it's an issue but I'm curious if it's just me. Maybe it just has to do with how the rear wheel motors are disengaged?
Thats the problem with being the first with anything usually all the kinks need to be worked out. The people placing orders today wont have to deal with alot of these breakdown issues because Rivian will be able to fix at the factory before shipping to another patient customer.😙

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a similar rattle coming from the driver side front suspension. Doesn't actually sound like anything wrong with the suspension itself but not entirely sure. I have also noticed that driving in conserve mode at the lowest setting and set to soft is not pleasant at all. Changing the damping to stiff seems to make the ride better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I took delivery of my R1T on 6/1 and I'm hearing this sound too. It's most noticeable at slower speeds. I've been driving in conserve mode and haven't checked to see if this noise is present in other drive modes. I placed a GoPro under the truck and made some recordings. I have an open ticket and I'm going to send it to the SC today. I'll report back with any information I receive, but it seems safe so far.

I made a quick video where you can hear the sound while watching the front drive train - both wheels.

Creaking or Clicking Noise

Listen closely during the first 30 seconds. Is this the sound others are hearing?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a similar rattle coming from the driver side front suspension. Doesn't actually sound like anything wrong with the suspension itself but not entirely sure. I have also noticed that driving in conserve mode at the lowest setting and set to soft is not pleasant at all. Changing the damping to stiff seems to make the ride better.
I have this but also suspect it's normal in the lowest setting while dampening set to soft. Odds are its a mechanical bump stop at the bottom of the shock/air/strut assembly. I have 25+ years in automotive aftermarket air ride experience building show cars and often times its the air strut/shock/coil assembly. These unit are exponentially more complicated than anything else on the market today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have this but also suspect it's normal in the lowest setting while dampening set to soft. Odds are its a mechanical bump stop at the bottom of the shock/air/strut assembly. I have 25+ years in automotive aftermarket air ride experience building show cars and often times its the air strut/shock/coil assembly. These unit are exponentially more complicated than anything else on the market today.
If you are correct this is great news. Hopefully the SC will review the video I emailed and confirm soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The left axle front shaft (I assume this is driver?) certainly has some rotational movement outside its center of axis unless it's designed to have some movement. Could be contributing to high speed vibration.

·
Registered
R1T LE
42 Posts
I have rattles too. Mine were in the front right. Took it in for service and they said a bunch of my heat shields were loose. It is better, 85% better. I get some creaks too in the suspension some times but what truck doesn't ?? My issue now is the wind noise in the drivers side window seal. They already replaced my window seal, but now it's worse !!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes. In addition to a rattle, I now have a noticeable "creak" when I accelerate or brake. It is coming directly from the front driver's side suspension. I recorded video of it in a parking lot and submitted the video with my first service ticket. Will advise, but so far service has been slow to respond (not surprising as they seem focussed on deliveries and are just ramping up support at my local SC). I will say this: If you are having any issues, the techs all seem to want media uploaded with any ticket or request for service - Likely so they can be most efficient with remote diagnostics before sending a service tech out, OR having you come into the SC. I'm sure it also helps to create a database of known issues internally at Rivian, then they catalogue them all, and track them. This is not something that they are very explicit about when you create a ticket, and my impression is that they will request media, then sit on tickets and wait until you provide as much detail as possible, along with the media. I haven't noticed any performance issues or pulling to one side or anything bad. Just some noises that should not be there, leading me to believe that there might need to be some additional torque applied somewhere in my suspension. Guides (at least mine) are not proactive at all on service tickets FYI.
I’m noticing this creak with regen breaking - what was the solve for you? Asking as I have a trip planned in 2 days and want to make sure this can wait. Thanks for any advice you have!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also noticed a fair amount of noises from the suspension in all modes. Some is from the air springs/compressors; lots of susspension creaks, rattles coming from the rear cab, wind whistles from front quarter windows, etc. The stiff supsension setting seems to settle the body motion much better on surface streets vs Soft. Now, I only use Soft setting while off-roading.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts