Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is a stupid question. I don’t expect anybody to have an answer with certainty; rather, I’m just hoping to get some insightful direction.
I preordered an R1S in August of 2021. I ordered 20” wheels. After doing more research, taking into account the loss of range, and believing there would be little falloff in all season driving based on my location, I want to reconfigure to 21” wheels. In my mind I think that Rivian would rather have their proprietary wheels ordered, so I would hope it wouldn’t delay my delivery window. But I have no idea.
I’d appreciate any thoughts the forum may have on whether it would cause a delay. Thanks.

· Registered
149 Posts
I doubt Rivian has a preference for building configs with one wheel vs another based on anything other than what they have on hand. I think they are still delivering R1Ses that people have pre-ordered a year or more before you, so I would not expect changing wheels to have a meaningful impact on your delivery. I am not an expert and YMMV though.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt Rivian has a preference for building configs with one wheel vs another based on anything other than what they have on hand. I think they are still delivering R1Ses that people have pre-ordered a year or more before you, so I would not expect changing wheels to have a meaningful impact on your delivery. I am not an expert and YMMV though.
My window right now is July-September 2023 (subject to change later this month, of course). I can live with the 20”s, but would prefer the extra range of the 21”s, so I’m conflicted whether to change or not. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

· Premium Member
37 Posts
I've been on 21's for a year, made no change in my current ETA Jul-Sep '23 :cool:

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wanted the 20s but range prevailed and I switched to the 21s when I got the request to confirm my reservation.
I thought about waiting for this scenario. I just received an email today asking for any reconfiguration before January 15 so an update delivery date can be provided at the end of the month. This is a different email than the contact you received when they confirmed you for delivery. I may just wait until I get the final request to confirm like you did. Thanks for the info.

· Premium Member
37 Posts
we all got that email :cool:

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we all got that email :cool:
Oh, I know. But it got me thinking about configuration at the very least. I still like the anticipation of opening up Rivian emails, though. It looks like you and I are on the same timeline for now. I live in indiana, so I keep expecting Rivian to just say, “You guys are too much trouble. Here’s you’re down payment back.”

· Registered
12 Posts
Oh, I know. But it got me thinking about configuration at the very least. I still like the anticipation of opening up Rivian emails, though. It looks like you and I are on the same timeline for now. I live in indiana, so I keep expecting Rivian to just say, “You guys are too much trouble. Here’s you’re down payment back.”
I'm in the same boat with feeling like I've made it this far and reaching out too much is gonna cause them to pass me over for the next reservation holder. Got my configuration confirmation one week ago (January 2022 reservation), 8 steps opened the same day. Couple days later my guide said the truck was a few weeks out and was being loaded for delivery as they spoke. In one last fit of configuration anxiety I emailed and texted my guide to see if the shop had any limestone R1Ts, crickets. CS said my original order hasn't even shipped yet. Hate to be that guy but the wait was easier when it was said to be months out still. Sorry to all who've spent way more time waiting than me, I just need an outlet for my privileged anxiety. Oh, ordered with 21"s but I'll take any sized wheel they let me have at this point. Ha

· Registered
12 Posts
I'm in the same boat with feeling like I've made it this far and reaching out too much is gonna cause them to pass me over for the next reservation holder. Got my configuration confirmation one week ago (January 2022 reservation), 8 steps opened the same day. Couple days later my guide said the truck was a few weeks out and was being loaded for delivery as they spoke. In one last fit of configuration anxiety I emailed and texted my guide to see if the shop had any limestone R1Ts, crickets. CS said my original order hasn't even shipped yet. Hate to be that guy but the wait was easier when it was said to be months out still. Sorry to all who've spent way more time waiting than me, I just need an outlet for my privileged anxiety. Oh, ordered with 21"s but I'll take any sized wheel they let me have at this point. Ha
Also, sorry for the confusion. Just realized this is a R1S thread...

· Registered
811 Posts
Got my configuration confirmation one week ago (January 2022 reservation), 8 steps opened the same day.
8-steps to delivery is about a month for most people, so not much longer now. You guide really doesn't have any ability to track your vehicle at this point.

the wait was easier when it was said to be months out still
I agree, you're in the hardest part of the process! Any changes you make at this point can only slow things down - be glad your guide isn't eager to cancel your current order and let you pick something out of the shop.

· Registered
13 Posts
Apologies if this is a stupid question. I don’t expect anybody to have an answer with certainty; rather, I’m just hoping to get some insightful direction.
I preordered an R1S in August of 2021. I ordered 20” wheels. After doing more research, taking into account the loss of range, and believing there would be little falloff in all season driving based on my location, I want to reconfigure to 21” wheels. In my mind I think that Rivian would rather have their proprietary wheels ordered, so I would hope it wouldn’t delay my delivery window. But I have no idea.
I’d appreciate any thoughts the forum may have on whether it would cause a delay. Thanks.
My thoughts, I would think that this would only be an issue if the item was out of stock. That said I see that they are delivering units with all the different wheels.

· Registered
13 Posts
My thoughts, I would think that this would only be an issue if the item was out of stock. That said I see that they are delivering units with all the different wheels.
P.S. I to decided on the 21 inch wheels and not just for their good looks. I have discovered there are many more tires available from many vendors in this size. As far as tire replacement in size 20 inch you pretty much stuck with what it comes with and they are not cheep.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the dark rims of the 20” which led me in that direction initially. However, an acquaintance received his R1T a couple months ago. I assumed his dark wheels were 20”s. But he told me that he had his 21”s powder coated black instead. They look sharp.

· Registered
12 Posts
I like the dark rims of the 20” which led me in that direction initially. However, an acquaintance received his R1T a couple months ago. I assumed his dark wheels were 20”s. But he told me that he had his 21”s powder coated black instead. They look sharp.
Got a quote in Oregon for powder coating the 21" wheels at $350/wheel with 24 hour turnaround. That's what I plan to do. Also, already bought the Rivian center caps from the gear shop. Good lookin setup IMO.

· Registered
Tesla Model Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Volt, Spark EV
95 Posts
Got a quote in Oregon for powder coating the 21" wheels at $350/wheel with 24 hour turnaround. That's what I plan to do. Also, already bought the Rivian center caps from the gear shop. Good lookin setup IMO.
Can you tell me who you are using? In Oregon as well, and want to black-out the 21s.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts