Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, the shine of perfection has already worn off. Just passed 3k miles on my new R1T and the first dent happened. It's only a minor dent on the top of the tailgate, but the options to fix it are limited. I can either create a ticket with Rivian, then have it carried via flatbed 150 miles to Plano, or drive it down there myself to get a ding fixed and the price will be very expensive.
Here's my thought, what about aftermarket rail parts, or some additional tailgate parts that would cover the damage? I haven't found anything, but I would expect that the business end of my truck would have lots of options. Has anyone seen any tailgate covers, or anything that would be added as protection to the tailgate?
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Banned
473 Posts
OK, the shine of perfection has already worn off. Just passed 3k miles on my new R1T and the first dent happened. It's only a minor dent on the top of the tailgate, but the options to fix it are limited. I can either create a ticket with Rivian, then have it carried via flatbed 150 miles to Plano, or drive it down there myself to get a ding fixed and the price will be very expensive.
Here's my thought, what about aftermarket rail parts, or some additional tailgate parts that would cover the damage? I haven't found anything, but I would expect that the business end of my truck would have lots of options. Has anyone seen any tailgate covers, or anything that would be added as protection to the tailgate? View attachment 6921
ouch…. How did that happen?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Left the tailgate down while launching my boat, then gave truck control to my daughter for 100 yards while I docked. She didn't know to lift the tailgate, or not to turn sharply in her first attempt at driving with the trailer attached.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Have you taken it to a paintless dent removal place? I'm no expert so maybe this is dumb, but since there is no paint flaking/peeling, it may be worth finding out if they can press most of it back to shape and it would barely be visible after that?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately, it's deeper than a paintless dent repair could fix. The steel is bent down about an inch. It was worth checking out with them, but no, they couldn't do it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wouldn't mind leaving the dent, as my last truck tailgate was littered with them after 10 years, but my daughter has PTSD from the incident and wouldn't dare speak to me for days until her siblings convinced her that I could just drive it to the Dallas service center and get a new tailgate put on (totally made up story, but it worked). Now if I leave the dent visible, that might start all over again. I also considered denting the other side to let her know it happens. :p

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's Limestone. When you take a picture, the camera adds blue, but that isn't the actual color.
So weird. I have LImestone configured for my R1T (Sep-Nov, 2022 est. delivery) and Glacier White for my R1S (2023). Every time I see a pic of Limestone it looks different. Do you like it? Happy with your choice? The photo looks so blue….!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like the color. It does look different at night, versus shade versus sunlight. Sunglasses really make the blue come out. It looks clean when dirty and really stands out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts