Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like many wannabe Rivian owners, I'm eager to take delivery but understand this is a new vehicle, from a new company, and that things will take time. While I understand that it's not possible at this stage to pin down a specific delivery date - even the LE is unlikely to reach all who have orders until sometime in 2022 - I'd like to have a better idea of when the Max Pack equipped Rivians are likely be delivered.

In my case, I placed a pre-order for an R1S about a year ago. I think I'd still prefer the R1S, but when the Configurator allowed, changed to an R1T with the Max Pack. I plan to use the Rivian to tow my [email protected] teardrop, so need the Max range and would like a full-size spare, so the R1T may make more sense. In addition, I would really like do with my existing vehicle until I get the Rivian. Having some idea of when that will be will drive the interim decision on whether I can realistically use my 2008 XC90 V-8 Sport until Rivian delivery, or whether I'll need another vehicle to bridge the gap.

Rivian Customer Support told me that there would be an announcement about the Max Pack in early 2022. Reading between the lines, that seems to indicate that deliveries won't start until late that year at the earliest. For relatively late adopters not in major markets (like me), I'd guess that delivery of an R1T Max wouldn't be until late 2023, possibly even 2024. If I change to the R1S Max, which is a bit behind in the engineering for the larger battery pack, my guess is mid-2024 and possibly even early 2025.

I understand that this is highly speculative, but do those dates sound realistic?
edited to highlight the question para

·
Registered
435 Posts
Like many wannabe Rivian owners, I'm eager to take delivery but understand this is a new vehicle, from a new company, and that things will take time. While I understand that it's not possible at this stage to pin down a specific delivery date - even the LE is unlikely to reach all who have orders until sometime in 2022 - I'd like to have a better idea of when the Max Pack equipped Rivians are likely be delivered.

In my case, I placed a pre-order for an R1S about a year ago. I think I'd still prefer the R1S, but when the Configurator allowed, changed to an R1T with the Max Pack. I plan to use the Rivian to tow my [email protected] teardrop, so need the Max range and would like a full-size spare, so the R1T may make more sense. In addition, I would really like do with my existing vehicle until I get the Rivian. Having some idea of when that will be will drive the interim decision on whether my 2008 XC90 V-8 Sport will make it, or whether I'll need something to bridge the gap.

Rivian Customer Support told me that there would be an announcement about the Max Pack in early 2022. Reading between the lines, that seems to indicate that deliveries won't start until late that year at the earliest. For relatively late adopters not in major markets (like me), I'd guess that delivery of an R1T Max wouldn't be until late 2023, possibly even 2024. If I change to the R1S Max, which is a bit behind in the engineering for the larger battery pack, my guess is mid-2024 and possibly even early 2025.

I understand that this is highly speculative, but do those dates sound realistic?
My perspective on this is that RJ did say in an interview they would be supply constrained into 2023 so thinking 2023 is probably not much of a stretch.

I would say by first quarter of 2022 people should have a much better idea for how the deliveries are going, what the ramp up pace is, and if the supply constraints are starting to ease up. If Rivian does IPO between now and then, you will also have a lot more information about delivery numbers and sales projections as they will be required to make quarterly announcements.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Why is everybody complacent about 2022 and even 2023 deliveries of a vehicle that was promised early in 2020! I am moving to Florida in Oct and am an early adopter, Nov 29th, 2018! If I don't get it by then I will have to go elsewhere and sell my Rivian and hopefully make some money. Anybody interested in a Launch Edition Canyon Red with the Ocean Coast white interior?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why is everybody complacent about 2022 and even 2023 deliveries of a vehicle that was promised early in 2020! I am moving to Florida in Oct and am an early adopter, Nov 29th, 2018! If I don't get it by then I will have to go elsewhere and sell my Rivian and hopefully make some money. Anybody interested in a Launch Edition Canyon Red with the Ocean Coast white interior?
I wouldn't say most of us are complacent, just accepting the reality of the situation. There is nothing any of us can do to speed deliveries up and in truth, much of the delay is not really Rivian's fault.

That said, I think Rivian is handling the situation poorly. While they are candid about stating that there are delays, that is not coupled with any information about when real deliveries - not the handful that will leave Normal next month - will happen. Just one small example: Beyond knowing simply that those signed up for the LE will get their vehicles first, what else has Rivian said about delivery? They haven't said how many units they anticipate delivering in 2021 or when LE deliveries are expected to be complete. Surely they know those approximate numbers.

I think Rivian owes it to pre-order holders to give us at least ballpark delivery dates. I ordered about 16 months ago and all I know from Rivian about delivery of the Max Pack vehicle that I want is that there will be an announcement about it "sometime in early 2022." That really doesn't tell me much. Should I expect to wait another 18 months or is another 36 months more like it? It's really not fair to keep us mostly in the dark and force us to speculate as I'm doing with this post.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm rooting for the Rivian, but as experienced with Tesla and noted by many other new EV makers that have yet to deliver their first vehicles, delays are typical. Clearly, it's not easy to develop a mass produced vehicle. I'm rooting for Rivian to meet expectations of many reporters who expect it to be the first EV truck to market. But at the same time, I do need a vehicle by mid-to-late next year and will have to choose from what is available. Based on the common delays from start-up companies, I've had to back-up my Rivian order with pre-orders / reservations for the Hummer, F-150 and even the dreaded Cybertruck. Aside from the Cybertruck which pretty much has no chance of ending in my driveway, pretty much the first to be able to deliver my truck wins, give or take a month or two. Thus, if I know for certain Rivian is going to deliver my truck within a month of when I could get my hands on either of the others, I would likely give them that leeway. But, if GM or Ford call and say they're ready and Rivian still hasn't contacted me, unfortunately will have to choose what's available at the time. Hoping that's Rivian, but can't wait forever either.

I understand Rivian hasn't taken the Tesla approach and thrown out unrealistic delivery dates and then just simply missed them by a country mile, but yes, I do agree, that "something" should be provided, especially considering we are now in the month they said deliveries would start. They should be promoting that they're making those deliveries soon to keep me on the hook. No news from anyone that I'm aware of that says they've been contacted to pick their final options and confirm their orders makes me worry that July is not likely. One or two truck deliveries in march is not what I would consider regular "production". Not falling for a technicality if they manage to get a handful of trucks delivered. When deliveries are coming daily, we'll now they've finally finished development and are moving on to production. At that point, willing to be patient as they ramp up that production. Rivian does need to provide some sort of update as to where they are.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm rooting for the Rivian, but as experienced with Tesla and noted by many other new EV makers that have yet to deliver their first vehicles, delays are typical. Clearly, it's not easy to develop a mass produced vehicle. I'm rooting for Rivian to meet expectations of many reporters who expect it to be the first EV truck to market. But at the same time, I do need a vehicle by mid-to-late next year and will have to choose from what is available. Based on the common delays from start-up companies, I've had to back-up my Rivian order with pre-orders / reservations for the Hummer, F-150 and even the dreaded Cybertruck. Aside from the Cybertruck which pretty much has no chance of ending in my driveway, pretty much the first to be able to deliver my truck wins, give or take a month or two. Thus, if I know for certain Rivian is going to deliver my truck within a month of when I could get my hands on either of the others, I would likely give them that leeway. But, if GM or Ford call and say they're ready and Rivian still hasn't contacted me, unfortunately will have to choose what's available at the time. Hoping that's Rivian, but can't wait forever either.

I understand Rivian hasn't taken the Tesla approach and thrown out unrealistic delivery dates and then just simply missed them by a country mile, but yes, I do agree, that "something" should be provided, especially considering we are now in the month they said deliveries would start. They should be promoting that they're making those deliveries soon to keep me on the hook. No news from anyone that I'm aware of that says they've been contacted to pick their final options and confirm their orders makes me worry that July is not likely. One or two truck deliveries in march is not what I would consider regular "production". Not falling for a technicality if they manage to get a handful of trucks delivered. When deliveries are coming daily, we'll now they've finally finished development and are moving on to production. At that point, willing to be patient as they ramp up that production. Rivian does need to provide some sort of update as to where they are.
The Rivian is in a different class than the Hummer. I've been looking at both of them for some time and the added cost and smaller platform of the hummer are not worth it...That vehicle won't be out for a while, as well....in addition, it's 18 months drawing to production. Rivian has been road testing for a couple of years now. That's a big deal.

The lightning could be interesting. We have the Ford Mach-E and love it. If Ford can deliver the Lightning with the same quality as the Mach-E, it'll be an easy homerun.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The Rivian is in a different class than the Hummer. I've been looking at both of them for some time and the added cost and smaller platform of the hummer are not worth it...That vehicle won't be out for a while, as well....in addition, it's 18 months drawing to production. Rivian has been road testing for a couple of years now. That's a big deal.

The lightning could be interesting. We have the Ford Mach-E and love it. If Ford can deliver the Lightning with the same quality as the Mach-E, it'll be an easy homerun.
Yes, the hummer is in a different class, and quite a bit more expensive. But, I'm more into the off-road side of things, which is why the F-150 is lower on my list. But the Hummer is pretty bad ass. But, very expensive. Not sure I could pass on it though if next year rolls around and I still don't have a new truck and if the Hummer were available and the Rivian wasn't on its way. A lot of ifs. We'll just have to see what happens. As noted, first choice is Rivian, as long as they can deliver it within a reasonable period of time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes, the hummer is in a different class, and quite a bit more expensive. But, I'm more into the off-road side of things, which is why the F-150 is lower on my list. But the Hummer is pretty bad ass. But, very expensive. Not sure I could pass on it though if next year rolls around and I still don't have a new truck and if the Hummer were available and the Rivian wasn't on its way. A lot of ifs. We'll just have to see what happens. As noted, first choice is Rivian, as long as they can deliver it within a reasonable period of time.
The hummer delivery will likely be about the same time as the Rivian. The Rivian is larger and can handle your off road adventures quite well. Are you really going to spend 110k on a Hummer and then crush it in the brush off-road? Hopefully, the Rivian gets delivered soon so we can all enjoy it...I'd really enjoy the 400 mile range with the max pack SUV over 300 miles on an overpriced Hummer

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't know that we have much of choice but to wait. It seems likely the R1T and R1S will be available before the Hummer EV, Ford Lightning, and Cybertruck. And the range of the Rivians, even with only the Large Pack, will be as good or better than the competition available for some time to come. Ideally, I could take delivery on an R1S with Max Pack within the next year, but that may be far too optimistic. Time will tell.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't know that we have much of choice but to wait. It seems likely the R1T and R1S will be available before the Hummer EV, Ford Lightning, and Cybertruck. And the range of the Rivians, even with only the Large Pack, will be as good or better than the competition available for some time to come. Ideally, I could take delivery on an R1S with Max Pack within the next year, but that may be far too optimistic. Time will tell.
I have an order in but I'll be waiting for the max pack...it really makes a difference for the travel plans for kids' travel sports...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Exactly what I ordered - only 18 mos after you!
Need it May 2022 but doubt mine will come!
Don't know if you can transfer order but keep me in mind if you do!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My perspective on this is that RJ did say in an interview they would be supply constrained into 2023 so thinking 2023 is probably not much of a stretch.

I would say by first quarter of 2022 people should have a much better idea for how the deliveries are going, what the ramp up pace is, and if the supply constraints are starting to ease up. If Rivian does IPO between now and then, you will also have a lot more information about delivery numbers and sales projections as they will be required to make quarterly announcements.
I agree with you @SANZCO2 about the likelihood of having a much clear picture about deliveries in early 2022. I strongly suspect that supply constraints will ease (already started), and think that the IPO timing is an important element. It will be hard for top management at Rivian to concentrate on both an IPO and getting the company off the ground.

As far as an R1S with the Max pack, with only an announcement about that option planned for early 2022 (per the response I got from Rivian CS), I'm not optimistic that deliveries will start in any meaningful way by the end of that year. We'll know more early next year but would not be surprised if delivery winds up being late 2023/early 2024. One can always hope though.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Time to bump this thread.

While I expected the delay, I was hoping that Rivian would take the opportunity to be more forthcoming. That's what I'm really disappointed at. I also have my doubts about September delivery; if past is prologue, we can expect another delay announcement about two weeks after Labor Day.

My highly speculative guess concerning the R1S that I want (with Max Pack), is that I will be able to configure my order sometime in middle of second quarter of 2022. I'd further guess that Max deliveries of the S won't begin until sometime in 2023, probably second quarter. Since I was a relative latecomer to pre-order (mid 2020), and am further down the list, I would expect to see my car no sooner than late 2024. I've accepted this timeframe and am planning on buying an new ICE vehicle to bridge the gap as I don't think my nearly 14 year old XC-90 can make it until 2024.

Looking forward to Rivian being more timely and forthcoming with information, but not holding my breath about it.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
I’m a Sept 2019 preorder (preorder #16,xxx) R1T LE. I was I totally hoping for Sept/Oct 2021 delivery, with possibility of Nov. Now I’m thinking March 2022 is more realistic. My original plan was to trade my 2015 Tesla S on it, but now I may just sell it outright now instead since I generally don’t drive it much in the winter.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts