Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a review from Doug Demuro who indicated one of the big drawbacks of the Rivian was not having a tire pressure display in the vehicle.

We know it has an air compressor. But how is it even possible that a vehicle this advanced doesn't display tire pressures?

Is that accurate? It's a feature available on most cars these days, even the cheap ones. Just can't fathom that a vehicle like this, especially considering tire pressures can be critical, does have them?

Did he just miss them? Or is really true?

·
Registered
2017 Prius, 2012 Tacoma, 2012 Vespa GTV300
256 Posts
Doug is incorrect. The R1T has TPMS. Checkout his subsequent off-road video and watch him crap the bed because of improper drive mode selection. A thorough review but the guy is an idiot.

·
Registered
824 Posts
What I have learned from the launch of the Rivian R1T is that there exists a plethora YT hacks screaming for attention (and some getting it) in the form of being able to drive the R1T, before we get to drive the R1T... And, I doubt any of them pre-ordered a launch edition like a lot of us did, years ago.

If there were one single video review to watch, it would be the Edmunds review IMHO. It is well organized, detailed in every aspect, filmed well, narrated perfectly, and shot through what appears to be an unbiased, professional & quantitative lens. The Edmunds team's sole purpose in life centers around this type of work, and it really shows - particularly compared to some of the YT garbage that is flying around. Just my .02 cents!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Doug is incorrect. The R1T has TPMS. Checkout his subsequent off-road video and watch him crap the bed because of improper drive mode selection. A thorough review but the guy is an idiot.
Having a TPMS and displaying the pressure at each individual tire is not the same. The first can alert you air pressure is low but you must check each tire if it's not already obvious. I watched both videos only once so I could have misunderstood sure but I really think this was Doug's intended depiction. Im more concerned about the lack of a true birds eye view 360 camera. Not a deal breaker but these are the features that are hard to live without once you have them on much older, cheaper, non luxury vehicles.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Not to worry, there's now way the RIvian vehicles don't have a true tire pressure screen.... just no way..

And the 360 deg overhead view... .it is awesome, I had it in my 2017 Bolt. The good news is the Rivian vehicles have enough cams and in the right places to give us that view.. it's just a software feature that needs to be added, and can be added at a later date... The hardware is already in the vehicle from day one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for sharing. This feature could have been missing from the review truck but it's less important now that it's confirmed.

Page 154 makes it the most clear. "TPMS sensor transmits the pressure values for each of the front and rear tires to the in-vehicle displays."

·
Registered
202? R1S Adventure
31 Posts
Having a TPMS and displaying the pressure at each individual tire is not the same. The first can alert you air pressure is low but you must check each tire if it's not already obvious. I watched both videos only once so I could have misunderstood sure but I really think this was Doug's intended depiction. Im more concerned about the lack of a true birds eye view 360 camera. Not a deal breaker but these are the features that are hard to live without once you have them on much older, cheaper, non luxury vehicles.
I have had a few cars that a single warning light on the dash but more details are on another menu and the mobile app for the car. I think we may need to see what the app tells us about tire pressure. When I react to an alert on one tire, the others are not far behind and I end up topping them all off. Not a deal killer for me.

·
Registered
824 Posts
With the digital read-out in the bed with the included air compressor and the attachments (in addition to the fact that you can pre-set your pressures and just top off all tires directly from the truck), I'm def not complaining about anything related to tire pressure on the truck, or for anything air-related to things like MTB tires, rafts, etc. Well done Rivian!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Page 153 actually......
Yep meant 153-4. Typo on my part, Thanks Rob :)

For what it's worth I use this feature everyday on all my current vehicles, My Bolt, ModelY, My Colorado. It's routine to start out making sure your tire pressure is in normal range before you hit the road.
Even more so now with the change in temp and seasons.
So many people take off not even looking at their tires or pressure and with most EVs not always having a spare, it's even more important to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
For what it's worth I use this feature everyday on all my current vehicles, My Bolt, ModelY, My Colorado. It's routine to start out making sure your tire pressure is in normal range before you hit the road.
Even more so now with the change in temp and seasons.
So many people take off not even looking at their tires or pressure and with most EVs not always having a spare, it's even more important to keep an eye on it.
+1
I check my TP every day before using my i3, that car also gives you individual tire temp along with tire pressure which I find very useful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.