Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Vendor
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to step into the bed from the back! This is one of the omissions that makes it obvious that Rivian is a rookie. Love driving this thing but every truck in the world has some sort of step from the rear for good reason.

Several mornings I have come back to the truck with my surfboard under my arm and found it a challenge to get into the bed of the truck so I can wrap a towel around me and change back into street cloths. I don't have the package with the wrist key so my key is locked in combo lockbox in the open bed, meaning the gear tunnel is also locked. And even if I put the board down to get the key so I can lower the gear tunnel I find use of that as a step from there into the bed in a dripping wetsuit to be treacherous at best. It would be been EASY to include molded in step at the rear, every other truck on the earth has a rear step for the simple reason that we truck owners often want to step into the rear bed from the rear of the truck. So, trying this SuperBumper Step as my first attempt at solving the challenge. It's a step, and a 25mph bumper.

· Vendor
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
R1T is already long enough to not fit in many parking spots. I wouldn't want to make it unnecessarily longer.

I agree an integrated step would be nice -- I miss it from my Sierra. But adding an extension like that is worse than not having a step, imo.
Though I agree not near as ideal as having it integrated I already used this a few times today for quick in and out of the bed, including all wet from surfing this morning, and it works.

My guess is that a lot of customers for R1T are first time truck owners and don't have a lot of experience using a truck....as a truck. Indeed Sierra and F150 and every other truck has a means of rear climb into the bed without lowering the tailgate. I run a car parts company and I am often climbing into the bed often a few times a day and I don't want to take the time to lower the gear guard tunnel for awkward side access, particularly if my hands are already full.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts