Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Welcome to the forum @rlfcsencsits. What Rivian model and spec are you getting?
I totally agree, it also helps that the public charging infrastructure is at a level currently where range anxiety is far less of a concern these days. It was one of my main reasons for going EV since I drive long distances.

·
Registered
44 Posts
1) low total ownership cost (little to no maintenance or scheduled service)
2) no dealer association
3) did I mention no dealer
4) charge at home overnight and avoid having to get gas
5) generally, lower vehicle center of gravity, resulting in better handling qualities in every circumstances
6) mid sized SUV (and not CUV) with 3rd row seats
7) being able to drive in HOV lane alone

Those are mine and the environment benefit (debatable given how power hungry R1S is compared to other EVs) has never been a consideration.

·
Registered
44 Posts
$80,000 buys a lot of gas though...

$80,000 at 5% interest is $4,000/year. That's $333 of gas per month!

Any other reasons?
Since it’s a comparison of alternatives, shouldn’t that be $80,000 minus the cost of the comparable ICE truck ($50k for a 4x4 ranger or $80-90k for a raptor).

I guess technically it might be EV+charging costs vs ICE+fueling costs.

For me though it’s the capability of the truck and the interesting technology… and I like the convenience of “fueling” a truck at home, a lot.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Since it’s a comparison of alternatives, shouldn’t that be $80,000 minus the cost of the comparable ICE truck ($50k for a 4x4 ranger or $80-90k for a raptor).

I guess technically it might be EV+charging costs vs ICE+fueling costs.

For me though it’s the capability of the truck and the interesting technology though… and I like the convenience of “fueling” a truck at home, a lot.
There wasn’t more than a sentence from the OP so I can’t assume an alternative. For all I know OP rode around on a moped that used gas.

But thumbs up to you for listing additional reasons.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Which is probably what you'd spend with a big SUV anyway. That's about 3 or so tanks of gas these days on top of the expensive SUV to begin with.

I'm happy not to have to deal with a dealer.
He didn't say he needed a big SUV. He just said "never buying gas again"
Which technically I'm wrong too because I assumed paying for gas, which isn't the same as buying gas.

So in hindsight I should have said:

$80,000 buys a lot of electric scooters though...

$80,000 at 5% interest is $4,000/year. That's $333 or a new scooter every other month!

Any other reasons

1 - 11 of 11 Posts