Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
So the Rivian was damaged despite having the off-road package (with the reinforced and extended coverage under body shields). These shields didn't do a good job at protecting the Rivian, according to the write up, it's basically plastic shields held up with plastic clips. I'm seriously considering removing this Off-Road package for my R1T and R1S, save $4000...

·
Registered
132 Posts
So the Rivian was damaged despite having the off-road package (with the reinforced and extended coverage under body shields). These shields didn't do a good job at protecting the Rivian, according to the write up, it's basically plastic shields held up with plastic clips. I'm seriously considering removing this Off-Road package for my R1T and R1S, save $4000...
You are reading the article wrong if you think the underbody shield didn't protect the truck. Without the shield in place the battery might had been damaged and set on fire at some point. Any skid plate will bend out of shape or will even be partially ripped off the truck if hit hard enough. I have seen several do that on ICE trucks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Interesting notes in there on the skid plate. I sure hope the off-road package replaces the plastic with metal
Emme is wrong about the skid plate being plastic. The Rivian website says this:

Reinforced underbody shield
Protecting the underbody of our vehicle is a layered shield of high-strength steel, alloyed aluminum and carbon fiber composite. Engineered to absorb, deflect and distribute force from impacts, the shield is designed for maximum protection in the most extreme off-road conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.