Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Yup, just got this one as well. Calling the service line now.

__

Hi Jerry,

Moments ago, we notified you of a voluntary recall on our vehicles. The official recall notice will be posted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) tomorrow morning; however, we wanted to get this news to you as soon as possible.

On a small percentage of vehicles, the fastener connecting the front upper control arm and steering knuckle may not have been sufficiently torqued. While we’ve only seen seven reports potentially related to this issue across our fleet to date, even one is too many.

Out of an abundance of caution, we made the decision to issue a voluntarily recall and have built out the capacity to address every impacted vehicle in the next 30 days. For the vast majority of you, the process will take a few minutes, simply requiring the fastener in question to be tightened to a higher torque tolerance.

By calling 855-RIVIAN5 (855-748-4265), you can schedule a Mobile Service appointment and we will come to you to help minimize any disruption this may cause. Our Service Team is available by phone 24 hours a day. You can also bring your vehicle to a Rivian Service Center, no appointment necessary. We will be setting up pop-up locations in high density areas for additional coverage as well. More information on the recall, including instructions, service locations and hours can be found on our Support Center.

For the very small percentage where parts replacements are required, loaner vehicles will be made available while the vehicle is brought into a Rivian Service Center. As needed, trip interruption and towing services will be available at no cost to you.

It’s important not to minimize the potential risks involved and why we are volunteering to conduct this recall. In rare circumstances, the nut could loosen fully. I want to reiterate that this is extremely rare, but it does reinforce why we are acting with such urgency and caution. If you experience excessive noise, vibration or harshness from the front suspension, or a change in steering performance or feel, you should call immediately. If for any reason you don’t feel safe driving your vehicle, call us and we will come to you with Mobile Service or pick up your vehicle and bring it in.

Nothing is more important than the safety of our drivers and we will always operate with this level of action.

Thank you for your support.

RJ

· Registered
199 Posts
The phone number provided works 24/7. I left call back and they called back! I now have a mobile appointment for 10/19.

I inspected the bolts referenced and marked them with magic marker to determine if they move. I will frequently inspect until the mobile appointment is completed. Initially the bolts look tight and secure.

· Registered
5 Posts
First one in the Brooklyn SC this morning to get the recall issue taken care of (got there before service tech arrived lol). it took less than 10 minutes to fix. Service team is anticipating a busy weekend. Shout out to Jessica and techs for taking care of me quick before my road trip!

· Registered
8 Posts
The phone number provided works 24/7. I left call back and they called back! I now have a mobile appointment for 10/19.

I inspected the bolts referenced and marked them with magic marker to determine if they move. I will frequently inspect until the mobile appointment is completed. Initially the bolts look tight and secure.

Would you mind sharing how to find these bolts? I'd love to take a look at mine too but not sure which ones to check. I'm getting a bit paranoid driving it now! :p

· Registered
9 Posts
Great Post, thank you. Does anyone know the correct torque spec for that bolt?
Thank you, if anyone is interested the nut is 13/16th inch for a wrench or socket to check it. The lower control arm to steering knuckle is 15/16th inch. If you put the suspension up and turn the wheel you can access easily. Hope this helps.

· Registered
55 Posts
I have a service tech appt on tues. The bolt is very easy to access/inspect. Might be the fasted recall procedure in the history of recalls. If this is the only/most serious of R1T recalls…I’d call that a win.

· Registered
R1T
148 Posts
Easy peasy. Tried to make an appointment and they said don't bother -- just drive up to the service center and they will check the torque while I'm in the car.

And yet some are using the recall as a battle cry. The lack of communication! The subterfuge! It was a conspiracy to release the info at the closing bell on Friday!

· Registered
31 Posts
Thank you, if anyone is interested the nut is 13/16th inch for a wrench or socket to check it. The lower control arm to steering knuckle is 15/16th inch. If you put the suspension up and turn the wheel you can access easily. Hope this helps.
Thanks so much for the info, all. I did a quick check to make sure those bolts weren't obviously loose, even if I don't know what the torque spec is. Definitely gives me peace of mind in case it will be a few days until I can get the service folks to check it. Anyway, I agree that in the grand scheme of things this is really not a major problem for the company. Fast check and a simple cheap fix, if any fix at all is needed. And from my point of view, they did just fine with communication.

· Registered
8 Posts
Just dropped by the service pop up they had going at the South San Francisco service center. This was around 1:00, I saw one car ahead of me. By the time I got to the service area, I was on the only there. Took a total of two minutes. Pretty easy.

· Registered
13 Posts
Just dropped by the service pop up they had going at the South San Francisco service center. This was around 1:00, I saw one car ahead of me. By the time I got to the service area, I was on the only there. Took a total of two minutes. Pretty easy.
Same here rolled through the SSF pop-up service lane. Super easy.

· Registered
6 Posts
Anyone else receive this?
I did receive it but only read it after I read about it in the WSJ. They were out with the news pretty quickly. I appreciated hearing from RJ too. I called the number provided, got a service tech quickly and set up a mobile service appt for next week. Only a few thousand vehicles but it seems like they're well aware of how important it is to handle this quickly before the haters get riled up... I've had my R1T since March 30 and we've put almost 8k miles on it. Great car and great company.
Cheers and happy adventuring

1 - 20 of 34 Posts