Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
IIRC, there is one member who has some sort of unique relationship with Rivian (not a direct employee but not an everyday retail customer either) who occasionally posts regarding his R1T. That's it so far AFAIK.

·
Registered
456 Posts
It makes perfect sense to first ship to allies, not just enthusiasts. Employees with stock options are the best allies, better than us enthusiasts 🍻
I speculate that maybe they even have a clause in their contract that compels them to report each and every deficiency / hiccup so that the most egregious rarer issues are caught before the first car goes out to a non-ally customer.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Has anyone on this form received their order yet?
Has anyone on this forum actually placed an order yet? A pre-order "reservation" is not an order. It does not commit either party to anything. From what I hear, everyone who has actually placed an order has received their vehicle within weeks. Rivian doesn't take actual orders unless they are able to deliver them.

If you understand what you're signing up for before you send them money, you will have more realistic expectations. That is true of just about everything.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has anyone on this forum actually placed an order yet? A pre-order "reservation" is not an order. It does not commit either party to anything. From what I hear, everyone who has actually placed an order has received their vehicle within weeks. Rivian doesn't take actual orders unless they are able to deliver them.

If you understand what you're signing up for before you send them money, you will have more realistic expectations. That is true of just about everything.
This is really frustrating news. I don't think that they have the capability to build vehicles as of now. Or if they do have capability then I don't understand why to build 200 units per week and keep them on the factory's parking lot?

Also, seems like employees who did get their cars are tight by some sort of NDA or so, cause I was trying to contact with a few owners in my area to meet in person and see the car, and all of them simply ignored questions :D

P.S. I just got my very 1st email from Rivian (excluding pre-order confirmation) with some news about nothing :)
IMG_5658.jpg
IMG_5659.PNG

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
This is really frustrating news.
It's not "news", it's the way the process has always operated. Rivian is delivering vehicles, and given that their manufacturing is in the early ramp-up phase they can't predict exactly when you will get yours, but Launch Edition and other pre-order holders have been given rough delivery windows - when your number comes up you will be contacted to finalize the order, arrange payment, trade-in, financing, delivery date, etc. The next milestone coming up is that those first LE pre-order holders were told their delivery will be in March-April. I expect that was based on some conservative ramp-up estimates, and I expect them to hit that mark. How long it takes for everyone else will depend on how fast the ramp-up progresses. My R1T has a delivery window of May-June, and I'm cautiously optimistic that I will get it then. If you just placed your pre-order, then there are at least 70,000 people ahead of you (as of December). I don't think anyone can do anything but guess as to how long it will take to fill that backlog, but Rivian doesn't expect the plant to be operating at full capacity until the end of 2023. It would be reasonable to expect that a pre-order placed today won't be delivered until 2024, but that is also a guess and it could be sooner or later.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's not "news", it's the way the process has always operated. Rivian is delivering vehicles, and given that their manufacturing is in the early ramp-up phase they can't predict exactly when you will get yours, but Launch Edition and other pre-order holders have been given rough delivery windows - when your number comes up you will be contacted to finalize the order, arrange payment, trade-in, financing, delivery date, etc. The next milestone coming up is that those first LE pre-order holders were told their delivery will be in March-April. I expect that was based on some conservative ramp-up estimates, and I expect them to hit that mark. How long it takes for everyone else will depend on how fast the ramp-up progresses. My R1T has a delivery window of May-June, and I'm cautiously optimistic that I will get it then. If you just placed your pre-order, then there are at least 70,000 people ahead of you (as of December). I don't think anyone can do anything but guess as to how long it will take to fill that backlog, but Rivian doesn't expect the plant to be operating at full capacity until the end of 2023. It would be reasonable to expect that a pre-order placed today won't be delivered until 2024, but that is also a guess and it could be sooner or later.
I was asked support many times and they were telling me to expect delivery at the end of 2022. But you are right I should not believe in this.

Regarding the email I just got, I meant this is the only communication I have so far from Rivian since I have placed a pre-order :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Any of us who have been with Tesla since day one...do you remember the media coverage of even the slightest delay at Tesla? The media was in an almost constant frenzy when they missed a goal or date. It is truly remarkable how benign the media has been towards Rivian who are arguably failing far harder.. They MIGHT be making 200 units a day, a sixth of the way into 2022, with around 200K preorders on the books.The math doesn't add up. And by all indications no one on this or any other forum I'm on has heard a thing about converting a res to an order.

Here's a scenario; seeing as Ford has already pulled the plug on making their pick up with Rivian (huge red flag right there) I can see selling their stake as the next logical step. That will further tank the stock and force either a total Amazon takeover or aquisition by another automaker - either of which would almost guarantee the end of the R1 line.

With every passing day there is another rival reveal and an ever expanding pool of EVs on the market.... I can imagine it's not fun in the E suite in Normal at the moment.

Reactions: Mattedfred

·
Registered
116 Posts
Any of us who have been with Tesla since day one...do you remember the media coverage of even the slightest delay at Tesla? The media was in an almost constant frenzy when they missed a goal or date. It is truly remarkable how benign the media has been towards Rivian who are arguably failing far harder.. They MIGHT be making 200 units a day, a sixth of the way into 2022, with around 200K preorders on the books.The math doesn't add up. And by all indications no one on this or any other forum I'm on has heard a thing about converting a res to an order.

Here's a scenario; seeing as Ford has already pulled the plug on making their pick up with Rivian (huge red flag right there) I can see selling their stake as the next logical step. That will further tank the stock and force either a total Amazon takeover or aquisition by another automaker - either of which would almost guarantee the end of the R1 line.

With every passing day there is another rival reveal and an ever expanding pool of EVs on the market.... I can imagine it's not fun in the E suite in Normal at the moment.
I have to disagree (or at least take issue) with several of the things you mentioned. First, I think the media (and most observers) are well aware of the obvious mitigating circumstance to the so-called "failure" - COVID/chip shortages/labor shortages, etc. Anyone who has been paying attention to just about any manufacturer (automotive or otherwise), have seen unprecedented delays. You seem to have an issue with Rivian, yet ignore the fact that most other EV manufacturers are struggling as much as Rivian is. Tesla (who is as well-established as any EV manufacturer, has had to postpone the CT and the Roadster multiple times, and there was almost a 1.5-2 year delay with the Model S and Model X between 2020 and 2022). Hell, the delivery estimate for the Model X (if ordered today) is not until January of 2023.

I am not sure where you are getting the 200k pre-orders for Rivian, but if they do in fact have that many, that's a great sign for the company. Last estimates I heard were in the 72k-range.

You say "with every passing day there is another rival reveal". Can you tell me what other fully-electric pickups (or three row SUVs) are currently available for purchase? I am not even referring to apples-to-apples comparison, just any truck/three-row SUV? The Lightning was revealed, but likely won't be delivered for anyone other than the first couple days of reservations until 2023-2024. Silverado is not even expected to deliver until late-2023/2024. Hummer EV - I live in the EV friendly California, and am yet to see a single one of those. CT? Not only was it not released, despite reservations opening several years ago, but the information that was available was taken off the website. Rivian may only be producing 200/week, but that's still 200/week more than the CT/Silverado.

I understand the frustrations, and some of them may even be justified, but I think picking out Rivian when just about every manufacturer is struggling, is unfair.

·
Registered
393 Posts
. It is truly remarkable how benign the media has been towards Rivian who are arguably failing far harder..
Any details you have around this statement?

Tesla was not dealing with the worst pandemic in 100 years in June 2012 when they started delivering their cars.

In 7 months in 2012 they delivered 2,650 vehicles, by the end of 2013 they had delivered just over 25k vehicles, that was thru 6 quarters. By the end of June 2013 which is their 1st 4 quarters of delivery they where under 13k deliveries. Rivian is in the middle of their second quarter, let’s see where they are with their Q3, 2022 earnings report to do any real comparisons to how they compare.

Font Number Parallel Rectangle

Font Material property Screenshot Rectangle Parallel

·
Registered
402 Posts
And by all indications no one on this or any other forum I'm on has heard a thing about converting a res to an order.

The early LE pre-orders were given a March/April delivery window, and here's an indication that Rivian is going to hit that mark. There's no evidence currently that the sky is falling ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts