Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Recent trade-in experience

543 Views 4 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  GSam
Good day, all. I'm wondering what everyone's recent trade-in experience has been. In TX, we get sales tax offset as we pay sales tax on the difference of the price of the new car minus the trade-in price of the old car. So, in most situations, it probably makes sense. We will likely be trading in our 22 BMW iX. So, we shall see how Rivian does in comparison to Car Max, our BMW dealer and other online options.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
No experience to report as I’m still waiting, but I’d be interested to hear recent experiences as well. @GSam how has your iX experience been? I’m seeing more of them out in the wild now, so just curious.
The iX is solid, fast and has a better range (and is faster both in quickness and top speed) than our Ford Mustang Mach-E. It also drives smoother on the terrible Houston roads than the Ford. We have yet to fast charge it. So, I cannot say how quickly it charges, but from the iX forums it is supposed to be a bit faster than the MME. For an EV, the use of interior space leaves a lot to be desired. There is no frunk (which we actually use on the MME) and the tailgate area is not as big as one would think. When we go to the airport, we usually take the MME because it can hold more items when including the trunk and frunk. Regardless, it is silly quick. Without doubt, it is a better driving experience than the MME or even Model Ys that we have rented previously. I have only driven a model X twice and they were both older so I don't remember and can't compare the two. I'm sure the upgraded sports package and air suspension package would have made it more dynamic and exhilarating, but we did not feel like paying another $15k. There is no AM radio, which shocked me. I'm in my mid-40s and may be around the cutoff for people who actually care about AM radio. If the Rivian were not an option, we would definitely keep it and deal with the problems of being a BMW owner post-warranty.

We are very happy with the vehicle and are in an odd situation. We have a 2021 MME (Premium AWD LR battery) and this 2022 BMW iX (base model). When we were weighing which car to trade-in, we decided it would be the iX although we still have plenty of time to change our minds since expected delivery on the R1S is August/September. Our reasoning for trading in the iX was that it is more expensive, has a few less features than the MME and we have already had to take the vehicle into the dealer 3 times for malfunctions. Post-warranty, the expenses will be higher and we got an extended warranty on the Ford for cheap. Plus, the only time we have had to take in the Ford was for a windshield recall. So, that is why we are trading in the iX, but we like the vehicle. If someone were scared of Rivian (being a new manufacturer) and wanted an EV from a more established manufacturer with a dealer network, then I would have no problem recommending the iX.
See less See more
Thanks for your detailed reply. I have experience with off-warranty BMWs. It can get pricey for sure. Our current one 86k mile diesel X5 will be our trade in. It was solid until about year seven, years seven through 10 were…expensive.

I drove an iX once a thought it was solid. I don’t think the loss of iDrive buttons in favor of touch sensitive flat wood was the right move though.
On the trade in, I’m most curious how much various options care about an……ahem…..intermittent check engine light.
Reactions: 1
Thanks for your detailed reply. I have experience with off-warranty BMWs. It can get pricey for sure. Our current one 86k mile diesel X5 will be our trade in. It was solid until about year seven, years seven through 10 were…expensive.

I drove an iX once a thought it was solid. I don’t think the loss of iDrive buttons in favor of touch sensitive flat wood was the right move though.
On the trade in, I’m most curious how much various options care about an……ahem…..intermittent check engine light.
I wonder those things too but usually the lights mysteriously disappear when it is time for the trade. :). What I do know is that I never get any credit for the aftermarket mats, the PPF and things like that. One time I actually pulled the weathertech mats out to the shock of the salesperson. I keep the originals too.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts