Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Nope. Just the tiny bits on the outside light up when braking.

I don't understand why manufacturers do this. The Toyota RAV-4, for example, has massive taillight assemblies, but the bit that lights up under braking is the smallest "dot". It makes no sense, to me.

· Registered
237 Posts
Nope. Just the tiny bits on the outside light up when braking.

I don't understand why manufacturers do this. The Toyota RAV-4, for example, has massive taillight assemblies, but the bit that lights up under braking is the smallest "dot". It makes no sense, to me.
Regulations. Brake lights aren’t allowed to be on the moving bits, which would be the tailgate.

· Registered
237 Posts
I can understand how the primary left and right brake lights should be fixed but every SUV, station-wagon, and hatchback has the center brake light on the hatch.
I mean don't take it out on me, I didn't write the regulations. They go as far as saying the brake lights have to be a certain surface area.

I don't know the exact language but there might be a different requirement for the 3rd brake light, including the height. Being on the tailgate probably makes them primary.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Regulations. Brake lights aren’t allowed to be on the moving bits, which would be the tailgate.
I don’t believe that is correct. They can’t exclusively be on moving body work…. But that doesn’t mean they can’t also be on moving body work so long as the fixed parts meet the regs for brightness. Audi and BMW both sell vehicles with lights on both fixed and moveable panels.

also, consider the RAV4 where they don’t light up most of the fixed brake light. Regs aren’t the problem here. It’s some stupid styling or other reason.

· Registered
237 Posts
I don’t believe that is correct. They can’t exclusively be on moving body work…. But that doesn’t mean they can’t also be on moving body work so long as the fixed parts meet the regs for brightness. Audi and BMW both sell vehicles with lights on both fixed and moveable panels.

also, consider the RAV4 where they don’t light up most of the fixed brake light. Regs aren’t the problem here. It’s some stupid styling or other reason.
Feel free to read through to figure out why BMW, Audi, or the RAV 4 can do it:

When you figure out the spacing requirements, photo metrics, height requirements, and whether they’re considered tailamps, stop lamps, auxiliary lamps, utilizing lamps or reflectors..feel free to post back on the difference

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Feel free to read through to figure out why BMW, Audi, or the RAV 4 can do it:

When you figure out the spacing requirements, photo metrics, height requirements, and whether they’re considered tailamps, stop lamps, auxiliary lamps, utilizing lamps or reflectors..feel free to post back on the difference
so salty, lol.

You could have just said you were wrong, or you could have just not responded and moved on. But sure, double-down with logical fallacies. All I have to do is point at other vehicles because it clearly IS possible and legal (unless you're saying those other manufacturers are breaking the law?)

· Registered
237 Posts
so salty, lol.

You could have just said you were wrong, or you could have just not responded and moved on. But sure, double-down with logical fallacies. All I have to do is point at other vehicles because it clearly IS possible and legal (unless you're saying those other manufacturers are breaking the law?)
What I am saying is that there are a LOT of laws and I am not interested in researching how the manufacturers in your example managed to get it to work. There are way too many potentials, they have armies of engineers and lawyers for a reason.

Just off the top of my head of what I can think about is location. A high mounted stop light has different design requirements than a lightning that's considered to be tail light. That includes height as well as how far back it is. Perhaps Audi, BMW, Toyota managed to get it to work because of where they mount it gets it to be considered a different type of light.

Again, feel free to research that on your own as I would only be speculating without spending hours to research their design.

Is there a pickup truck that you can think of that has a brake light that works on the tailgate? That might be a better comparison in terms of using the same regulations.

· Registered
34 Posts
Your ability to move goal posts is astounding!

but the keep gladiator puts the CHMSL on the tailgate, iirc.
Gladiator has a removable roof. So the roof wouldn’t work. So since there is no other option the tailgate is it and it sticks out enough that when the tailgate is down it can still be seen.

I believe it has to do with how the vehicle can travel. The R1T can travel with the tailgate down so a brake light can’t be on it because it is not as visible. An SUV is not appropriate to travel with the lift gate up and there will a also no where else to put a high center light so that is where it goes

Even the R1S has a brake light on the high part of the tailgate because the law requires it to be on the highest part of the vehicle that will be seen in what ever mode it is in.

I don’t know the law to say if they could make the center light bar react to the brake but at that point it may be excessive.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
are you saying that tailgate red light is just for aesthetic purposes?
Every R1T I've seen has not lit up the tailgate light bar as a brake light. That includes R1Ts in official Rivian marketing videos.

when you say "i don't think it is" - do you mean rivian rep is wrong? or i misinterpreted what they told me?
i am confused.
Occam's Razor. What is more likely?
a. EVERY R1T produced has a defective tailgate light bar and you're the first to notice?
b. The light bar doesn't actually function as a brake light.

If one guide or service rep told you something, I'd take it with a massive grain of sand.

When is your mobile service appointment?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts