Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some major disappointing news we all got from Rivian concerning a price increase (later retracted for my order) and a predicted delivery of second half of 2023, I was ready to cancel my September 2021 order for my R1T adventure package with max pack. I really liked the Launch Green edition but missed that order window. Then, on April 29, I got an email from Rivian that said production in the near term was going to focus on the adventure package with either black mountain or the forest edge interior and the extended battery.

I decided to see if I could shorten my delivery window by changing my configuration to the extended battery vs the max pack. My thought process reasoned that though I do plan to do some infrequent RV hauling where I would really appreciate the extra miles with the max pack, for most of the year I would be hauling around a lot of extra weight with the max pack and wouldn't really need the extra mileage. Perhaps I can just do a better job of trip planning and plan on extra time for charging. More chargers are being installed all the time so it might be a challenge to pull an RV for the next couple of years but it will eventually get better.

I changed my R1T configuration to an extended battery pack, kept my adventure package, changed the color to limestone, and changed the interior to Black Mountain.

To my amazement, only four weeks later I got an automated email that said I was being assigned a Rivian Guide and to "Please check here to schedule a call with Ruby my Rivian Guide". Wow was I excited about that!

Had my call with Ruby yesterday and she was amazingly helpful. Thank you for all your help Ruby. She went through the configurator options I had selected and when we got to color I asked about Launch Green and she immediately checked production and said that there was a Launch Green R1T adventure package in production that wasn't claimed. I immediately asked her to book it for me if she could and "voila", I can expect my truck within 4-6 weeks if it passes inspection after production.

I did have to accept the wheels that were on it, the 20" all terrain vs the 21" road tires, but to me that's a minor issue. The upgrade cost an extra $2700 and I was ok with that as well.

The moral of the story here is, if you want to shorten your delivery window;
1) Change your configuration to what is currently being produced. See the email of April 29.
2) Ask your guide to check production to see what is in production close to what you want that has not been claimed
3) Be flexible in the configuration.

Hope this helps some of you Rivian fans that have a long delivery window and are becoming frustrated enough to consider cancelling your order. I can now cancel my reservation with Ford, Chevy, and Tesla.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Interesting. I spoke with Rivian CS on Friday and they insisted that anyone with a Max pack configured when the December 2021 emails were sent out was NOT being considered for delivery in 2022, even if they changed their configuration to a Large pack.

Yet more inconsistencies from Rivian.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting. I spoke with Rivian CS on Friday and they insisted that anyone with a Max pack configured when the December 2021 emails were sent out was NOT being considered for delivery in 2022, even if they changed their configuration to a Large pack.

I highly recommend you try again with customer service. When Rivian reached out to me to confirm my configuration a couple of months ago they were really clear that if I changed my config to match current production I would get a spot in line corresponding to my reservation number (March 2019). I immediately changed to the Large pack from Max.

I get my R1T on Wednesday

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I highly recommend you try again with customer service. When Rivian reached out to me to confirm my configuration a couple of months ago they were really clear that if I changed my config to match current production I would get a spot in line corresponding to my reservation number (March 2019). I immediately changed to the Large pack from Max.

Like I said, I spoke with them Friday. Unless you have a contact you'd like to share with me, everyone I get a hold of via chat has been "nice" but "useless".

·
Registered
565 Posts
2) Ask your guide to check production
Great in theory, but my pre-order is 1 year before yours and I don't have a guide yet. And no one is asking me if I want to change my configuration to get my vehicle/guide sooner. It seems like they've forgotten about a lot of us LE pre-order holders, and are busy filling orders for people who ordered 1-2 years after us just because that's what they are producing right now.

I would at least like to get "right of first refusal" - they should be telling me what they have available and asking me whether I want to switch or not, BEFORE they offer it to a non-LE pre-order holder, and BEFORE they offer it to someone who just placed an order in 2022.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey @syn.mlbrown this is some great advice. Glad to see it worked out so well for you.
Is it going to be your first EV?

Add it to New Rivian Order Tracker - Enter Your Configuration Here
Yes, trading in a 2006 Nissan Titan pick up. I'm in Chattanooga, TN and we

Interesting.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why do they have an unclaimed truck in production with 70k actual orders?
I think people have canceled orders and they are matching available production to orders that closely match. Ruby said to hold my breath while she tried to book my order and hope no one else booked it while she was trying to book it for me.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I agree. That's exactly what happened with my order.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great in theory, but my pre-order is 1 year before yours and I don't have a guide yet. And no one is asking me if I want to change my configuration to get my vehicle/guide sooner. It seems like they've forgotten about a lot of us LE pre-order holders, and are busy filling orders for people who ordered 1-2 years after us just because that's what they are producing right now.

I would at least like to get "right of first refusal" - they should be telling me what they have available and asking me whether I want to switch or not, BEFORE they offer it to a non-LE pre-order holder, and BEFORE they offer it to someone who just placed an order in 2022.
They didn't ask me if I wanted to change, they suggested it in the email. Again, change to what is being produced and wait. Took four weeks for me to hear after I changed the interior color and selected extended battery instead of max pack. Good luck 🤞

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After some major disappointing news we all got from Rivian concerning a price increase (later retracted for my order) and a predicted delivery of second half of 2023, I was ready to cancel my September 2021 order for my R1T adventure package with max pack. I really liked the Launch Green edition but missed that order window. Then, on April 29, I got an email from Rivian that said production in the near term was going to focus on the adventure package with either black mountain or the forest edge interior and the extended battery.

I decided to see if I could shorten my delivery window by changing my configuration to the extended battery vs the max pack. My thought process reasoned that though I do plan to do some infrequent RV hauling where I would really appreciate the extra miles with the max pack, for most of the year I would be hauling around a lot of extra weight with the max pack and wouldn't really need the extra mileage. Perhaps I can just do a better job of trip planning and plan on extra time for charging. More chargers are being installed all the time so it might be a challenge to pull an RV for the next couple of years but it will eventually get better.

I changed my R1T configuration to an extended battery pack, kept my adventure package, changed the color to limestone, and changed the interior to Black Mountain.

To my amazement, only four weeks later I got an automated email that said I was being assigned a Rivian Guide and to "Please check here to schedule a call with Ruby my Rivian Guide". Wow was I excited about that!

Had my call with Ruby yesterday and she was amazingly helpful. Thank you for all your help Ruby. She went through the configurator options I had selected and when we got to color I asked about Launch Green and she immediately checked production and said that there was a Launch Green R1T adventure package in production that wasn't claimed. I immediately asked her to book it for me if she could and "voila", I can expect my truck within 4-6 weeks if it passes inspection after production.

I did have to accept the wheels that were on it, the 20" all terrain vs the 21" road tires, but to me that's a minor issue. The upgrade cost an extra $2700 and I was ok with that as well.

The moral of the story here is, if you want to shorten your delivery window;
1) Change your configuration to what is currently being produced. See the email of April 29.
2) Ask your guide to check production to see what is in production close to what you want that has not been claimed
3) Be flexible in the configuration.

Hope this helps some of you Rivian fans that have a long delivery window and are becoming frustrated enough to consider cancelling your order. I can now cancel my reservation with Ford, Chevy, and Tesla.
Check out Victerry on May 11 -. He did exactly the same thing I did and he also reduced his delivery time. Congratulations Victerry!.

·
Registered
3 Posts

This is not correct. I changed to the Large pack after the email and I have the truck. When I called and asked about this, before I got the truck, I was told they would take into consideration when I reserved the truck and they obviously did.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
This is not correct. I changed to the Large pack after the email and I have the truck. When I called and asked about this, before I got the truck, I was told they would take into consideration when I reserved the truck and they obviously did.
I'd love to know who you spoke with. Rivian seems uninterested in fulfilling my order, any time soon.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a config that's being built these days and no contact whatsoever. Your theory doesn't really apply, you're just one of the lucky few. I'm seeing lots of folks with order dates after mine, with the same config, getting guides, and I've got absolutely nothing. I'm not even confident I'll get my truck in the Jul-Sep window they gave me last December.

·
Registered
147 Posts

I agree with you. I ordered on Nov 29th, 2018, and only heard from a guide late in April 2022. I was promised an April/May delivery and only heard on April 28th! Cut a long story short, I was never told I could change my configuration from Canyon Red until I received the email saying Ocean Coast interiors were delayed until fall. I now have my Compass Yellow truck with black interior and am happy after searching with my guide for almost any configuration!
Rivian could have notified me earlier. At my first charging station another R1T parked next to me. The guy got his before me! and said he only ordered his in June last year! Go figure. I was a cash buyer no trade, go figure!

·
Registered
1 Posts
For what it's worth, which admittedly is next to nothing, as a person who took delivery last week in San Francisco with an October 2021 preorder, Rivian should be offering people in line, in local production areas, right of first refusal.

I did change my configuration the day the email came out that explained what was being produced, so i guess that's in my favor, as well as living in SF where a lot of preorders are going, as well as being lucky enough to have a great guide that found me a cancelled car in almost my exact spec, as well as offering to pay cash; with all that in my favor, I've got to imagine there were people who ordered before me in SF that would have jumped on this black on black beauty.

In the grand scheme of things it's just a (fantastic) car, but as a new company that is figuring things out, if they're reading this, longer term they should put this on their list of issues to adjust or provide transparency into.

Pics coming up when I get to an area with better reception.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts