Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I probably won't be doing any rock crawling, but now that the off-road package is an option for LE, I have a decision to make. How well is the battery protected without the off-road package ? How does it affect range ? These will be questions I'll be asking my guide.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
“Soon”

·
Registered
20 Posts
Also, can you you get the tow hooks separately (look pretty tightly integrated into the bumper) or add aftermarkets? I would also like to know if it could be added later if I decided that I do want to use this for more adventurous activities. But not only does this save us $2K, it also saves weight!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
Also, can you you get the tow hooks separately (look pretty tightly integrated into the bumper) or add aftermarkets? I would also like to know if it could be added later if I decided that I do want to use this for more adventurous activities. But not only does this save us $2K, it also saves weight!
Someoe else posted on this or another forum that they’d asked CS this same question and the answer was no. At least not initially.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I probably won't be doing any rock crawling, but now that the off-road package is an option for LE, I have a decision to make. How well is the battery protected without the off-road package ? How does it affect range ? These will be questions I'll be asking my guide.
If you're not doing any off-roading at all the battery should still be well protected without the skid plate, just like other EVs that are on the market.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After the car in front of me dropped it's exhaust system on the freeway, I would like as much "commuter battle armor" as possible out in my neck of the woods. Now, if they would have some sort of shielding for the windshield, as in AZ it's not a question of if you are going to need to replace your windshield but an question of WHEN.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're not doing any off-roading at all the battery should still be well protected without the skid plate, just like other EVs that are on the market.
Living in the flat farm land of the Midwest, my off-roading will be mostly on dirt roads, muddy fields and dealing with snow drifts in the winter. I'm wondering if the skid plate is overkill for my application. On the other hand, it's cheap insurance considering the cost to replace a battery.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went back and looked through the info on the Rivian website and it looks like the battery is well protected without adding the off road upgrade.

With the Off-Road Upgrade, available to add on to the Adventure Package or Explore Package, the underbody shield is enhanced with reinforced materials extending from bumper to bumper and side to side.

I think I'll save the $2000 for other options.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts