Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else run into delay getting truck registration? My expires in 6 days and still no idea when it is coming. My guide said she would put in for a rental vehicle because I don’t have it yet.
Anybody know who I can talk to for resolution? Feels like an easy and reasonable fix that could be made.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would guess I still need to get a certificate of origin and a bill of sale to do so? I yet to receive any paperwork of such.
I am scheduled to talk with my quide today so I am going to ask if I can get that paperwork and self registration and get tax refund.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The DMV in my state has been backed up since they did a software "update" a couple years ago. Dealers have gotten to the point to where they either tell you not to worry about it (and most people don't) or they will give you another temporary tag with a new expiration date. Eventually the registration comes. If your concern is about driving around with an expired temporary tag, ask your guide for a new one.

·
Registered
196 Posts
R1T delivered 6/27 temp reg expires 9/23. Emailed my guide and requested necessary paperwork to self register. Received paperwork 3 business days later. Rivian will refund my fees.

Fortunately my guide has been very responsive and helpful.

·
Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
231 Posts
I have been keeping on my guide to make sure it gets pushed through, calling every week. He is confident I will have it before my temp tag expires in 2 weeks, but I am beginning to have my doubts.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you bought your truck as an IL transaction, the state of IL apparently won’t issue another temp plate. I guess they figure why should they, it isn’t their problem.

After I complained enough, what they ultimately did for me was gather up all my paperwork and sent it to a local title shop In my county. That shop then did all the paperwork & sent it to Harrisburg. They were then also able to issue a PA temp tag with a December expiry, which they sent along with my temp reg and a new plate (even though it was originally supposed to be a transfer!) back to RegUSA via FedEx overnight, who then overnighted it all to me. So I would hound your guide to do whatever the similar process is in your home state. IMHO it would’ve been way easier for Rivian to have done this same thing (establish a relationship with local title/reg shops) < 50 times & just send those all their title work vs working with the dumpster fire that is RegUSA.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My temp Illinois registration expires the day after tomorrow. My guide said Rivian apologizes for not pushing my paperwork through but says I should get my plates next week. I will probably purchase a trip permit to bridge the gap. My guide ays they will re-imburse me. I might also blow it off... Enforcement here has been very lax since covid.

I am in Oregon. @hardware guy, can you not get a trip permit in your state? Rental vehicle seems like an extreme solution.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've been expired since 8/27, Rivian gave me a EV rental car and both Rivian and my state DMV are saying 6-8weeks more due to internal delays at the DMV...
I am going in 33days expired and 1 Rivian rental car extension since my plates expired! Rivian messaged me last week asking if I got my tags yet and said they would try to reach out to DMV to investigate. I will say in Delaware its delayed on any new cars. A friend with a new Denali has been expired for 3months so far...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am going in 33days expired and 1 Rivian rental car extension since my plates expired! Rivian messaged me last week asking if I got my tags yet and said they would try to reach out to DMV to investigate. I will say in Delaware its delayed on any new cars. A friend with a new Denali has been expired for 3months so far...
Registration issues are nothing new...

I ended up registering the truck myself after getting a certificate of origin from Rivian...and paying the sales tax and fees again before getting that money refunded by Rivian 4 weeks later.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I also lost patience with Rivian registering my R1T and started badgering my guide to just send me the MCO and sale papers and let me do it. At first he said it was not possible. Then he said he’d look into it. Finally he agreed to send me the paperwork. I walked the paperwork to the Oregon DMV here in Bend and 30 minutes later had my plates in hand.

When I registered my previous truck I did it online and it took 4 months to get my plates. Note that the Oregon website recommends you make an appointment before visiting a DMV office but I found that it’s not necessary.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts