Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Based on the release yesterday from Rivian that the first R1Ts off the production line will be the 135kW battery it looks like folks are very disappointed. Originally I was thinking my first choice would be the 135kW edition but I commented that I wasn’t wanting to wait additional months for it’s release and as such would likely order the 180kW option instead (as we all thought Rivian would release the 180kW editions first). I now find myself debating on waiting for the 180kW battery - range anxiety at its finest! 😉

I live in an urban environment (suburb of Toronto) and I’d estimate a good 80% of my driving needs will easily be satisfied by the 135kW battery. But it’s that other 15-20% that raises my blood pressure...

To me this is where I’m really intrigued by the attached article! I’m very curious as to the deployment model for these add-on packs. Will they need to be purchased? If so, might not be the end of the world especially if I can somehow store it in my garage and tie it into my house. This seems unlikely to me as the sheer weight of these add-on pack have to be hundreds of pounds? What I would be really excited about would be a rental program from Rivian where I could have all the benefits of the 135kW pack - light truck for off-roading better performance. And when I need the extra range for a long road trip rent an extra 30-50kW for the bed. With the insane amount of storage in the R1T I don’t think it would be a big issue losing space in the bed.

Would love to hear others thoughts or if folks have addition information on how Rivian may deploy these add-on packs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same problem here, I've decided to wait. I'm 100% with you on the space and that extra range for the R1T. Love the idea of a rental program. I was thinking of buying one regardless. The patten, actually mentions KWH of 50, 70 and 100. Hoping for those ranges compared to what the drive article speaks to

·
Registered
1 Posts
I share your concern and disappointment with the delay of the 180kW configuration, but was excited when the article about the removable pattern patent approval was released. I did submit a question to see if a 135kW configuration available in June will have the option for the pre-wiring for the portable battery. That would be the best of both worlds, get your truck in June, get extra mileage later and be able to remove it when you are in town, and insert it for a long trip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts