Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title for the R1T we paid cash for was mailed to our bank because RIvian said there was a lien. The bank won’t give us the title until they “research the issue” and have Legal review. We can’t get a duplicate title from the DMV without a letter from the bank or RIvian. Many other mistakes were made in the titling process. We asked numerous times to do this process ourselves but our guide refused. Now we have asked RIvian to help right this latest wrong and we are getting crickets.

·
Registered
63 Posts
They just made up a lien out of thin air or was there some basis for confusion?
+1 to this question. Is there a lien on the R1T you paid cash for, or are they saying you have liens against some other asset, and that's affecting your account?

Sounds like a huge pain. Sorry to hear you're not getting good support. Keep us posted and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a mistake on their end when filling out the paperwork that got sent to our DMV. Our transaction happened very quickly - the day after we changed our configuration we got a text asking us to take delivery of the truck that week. Our guide did a lot of the 8 step checklist for us behind the scenes to get everything done quickly and now we know that when he asked us for our bank info he used that info incorrectly as the financing institution. It also didn’t help that we could not do the title process ourselves. The purchase agreement with Rivian that we signed did NOT show a loan.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry you’re going through this. How many days has it been? I remember when I traded in a vehicle about four years ago and the dealership forgot to pay off the loan on my original vehicle and I had to make a payment to avoid late fees. I was not happy but they reimbursed me and we were square after ten phone calls. Ultimately, does it matter if you get the title now or in a few weeks or in a month?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Bureaucracy must be served... Keep on top of it, but you said- your bank told you they need to “research the issue” and "have Legal review". Give them an appropriate amount of time to get that done (45 days maybe?) then start escalating as needed. It's "your" bank, so you already have some leverage with them as a customer....

Unless your plan was a quick flip, this is just a minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why has the OP not asked for a meeting with the head of the consumer loan department at her bank? Would this not be taken care of at that meeting? Take the paperwork showing that the R1T was paid for in full by cash, and explain Rivian’s mistake. The bank can check in seconds that no loan was given on the purchase, and a letter to the State can be given to the OP to take to the DMV.

It’s a PITA of course, but this is far easier resolved by the bank and DMV than thinking Rivian is going to sort this out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My (90 day) temp registration expires tomorrow….still no title nor have they transferred my old tags to the Rivian. Paid cash. Now they are offering me a loaner. Notwithstanding the frustration this is a costly error on their part…providing others are experiencing the same. Ugh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quick update: we did get an attestation from Rivian that a clerical error was made when they applied for our title and said there was a lien on the vehicle. We have provided that to the bank and they continue to do their "research". We are planning to check back with the bank in a few weeks.
The entire registration process was extremely frustrating, partly because of the lack of transparency. After we talked to Rivian about the error, our guide shared with us the documents that were filed with the DMV (including the information on the (nonexistent) lien). If we had been able to see those documents in the first place, we might have been able to rectify their error before it got this far along.

·
Registered
R1T, Sept 2021 preorder
3 Posts
Quick update: we did get an attestation from Rivian that a clerical error was made when they applied for our title and said there was a lien on the vehicle. We have provided that to the bank and they continue to do their "research". We are planning to check back with the bank in a few weeks.
The entire registration process was extremely frustrating, partly because of the lack of transparency. After we talked to Rivian about the error, our guide shared with us the documents that were filed with the DMV (including the information on the (nonexistent) lien). If we had been able to see those documents in the first place, we might have been able to rectify their error before it got this far along.
I appreciate you sharing your experience. I'm wondering how Rivian knew what bank was your bank to send the title to since there was no need to share this info with them when paying cash? Was it an ACH transfer vs a wire? I ask because I'll be doing the same and hope to prevent this mistake.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Doesn't the title application have to be signed by you? You're guide may have pre-filled out the information, but did you review it?
One of the documents you sign in the purchase process is a Limited Power of Attorney for Rivian to sign for the title on your behalf, or at least that was the case with my purchase in Texas. It still got screwed up and the paperwork never got filed; I had to do it myself eventually and get a sales tax refund from Rivian.

·
Registered
22 Posts
One of the documents you sign in the purchase process is a Limited Power of Attorney for Rivian to sign for the title on your behalf, or at least that was the case with my purchase in Texas. It still got screwed up and the paperwork never got filed; I had to do it myself eventually and get a sales tax refund from Rivian.
I did the limited POA, but I still had to fill and notarize a North Carolina Title Application. It had an owner info section and a lien info section.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Happy to report that yesterday I received a FedEx package from General Systems Solutions….in it was my registration and title. Ironically Rivian has stated it would be processed by the State of Ohio on 9.19.2022. Also oddly enough it was processed by Portage county Ohio….I live in Greene count Ohio…opposite end of the state. Anyway…it’s here and I’m back to driving a properly registered vehicle. Had never heard of General Systems Solutions until the package. Oh well…. Yay!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts