Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Rivian R1T comes with three 110-volt power outlets located in the bed with 400 watts available at each. Its basically a power bank that's ideal for charging your devices, power tools and more. We also get USB-C ports and an air compressor. If you're into camping or just need on-the-go power, these will be super valuable!

·
Registered
11 Posts
400w outlets are very disappointing. That is less than 4a. With 180kwh battery I could power my home for a week or more but not with 400w outlets. I was hoping for 110/120v 15a outlets that I could plug a level one ev charger into. There is so much power available so why not be able to use it. Electric grill, microwave, charging up electric motorcycle, electric airplane, etc!
Will the R1S have the same capability?

·
Registered
88 Posts
That induction stove they demo'd in the gear tunnel camp pullout is at least a 1000-1200W device. I would be very surprised and disappointed if the outlets only provided 400W.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So far I have been able to find out that the R1S will have one 110v outlet up front and one in the cargo area but no mention of amps. I too would find it surprising that it would not be 15a capable. If the outlet is there, people are going to plug things into it that draw more than 4amps! It would also be nice to have some power in the Frunk to power a cooler.
The opportunity is there for awesome VTH (vehicle to home) capability. I hope they take advantage of it. My average home consumption is around 20kwh daily. That is almost 9 days of power on the 180kwh battery! Would come in as a handy backup if a hurricane took out my roof solar system or for those without other back up capability.
Even one 15a outlet would allow level 1 charging of another vehicle or any number of uses when other power is not available.
I‘ll post if I hear back any details from Rivian.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In the latest episode of The Long Way Up, Rivian provided a solution for the team to charge the electric Harleys off the Rivian. Surely Rivian can see the advantage in this type of option beyond just this expedition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where is the 400w info coming from... can someone post a link? I would be very very disappointed if that was how low it was. Was hoping for at least 1500w so that one could, for example, plug their camper directly into the vehicle if there was a need/desire.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It can't be 400W -- they're selling an induction cooktop in the camp kitchen. Someone in some post said something along the lines of "at this rate, I'm expecting the outlets to only be 400W like my ICE vehicle" when they were griping about how disappointed they were with recent updates about what to expect. And even though it made no sense -- see re: two burner cooktop -- people glommed onto it.

Too hard to find the post, but someone on another forum recently reported CS confirmed the outlets would be 15A -- full capacity of a typical household circuit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It can't be 400W -- they're selling an induction cooktop in the camp kitchen. Someone in some post said something along the lines of "at this rate, I'm expecting the outlets to only be 400W like my ICE vehicle" when they were griping about how disappointed they were with recent updates about what to expect. And even though it made no sense -- see re: two burner cooktop -- people glommed onto it.

Too hard to find the post, but someone on another forum recently reported CS confirmed the outlets would be 15A -- full capacity of a typical household circuit.
A 15 amp circuit is a max load of 1800 watts.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The Rivian R1T comes with three 110-volt power outlets located in the bed with 400 watts available at each. Its basically a power bank that's ideal for charging your devices, power tools and more. We also get USB-C ports and an air compressor. If you're into camping or just need on-the-go power, these will be super valuable!
It's not just the bed where there's going to be 110-volt power outlets. There will be ones in the center console and gear tunnel as well. Along with a 12v outent in the frunk and under the center display.

What are the onboard outlets in the R1T?
The R1T includes a 110v outlet in the center console, gear tunnel and two in the truck bed. You can also find a 12v outlet in the front trunk and under the center display.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the outlets would be 15A -- full capacity of a typical household circuit.
That's a big accomplishment and goes a long way to make it a proper adventure vehicle. Some marketing did seem focused around that charging ability, enough to power your home for x amount hours during a black out in one case.

I hope some EV blogs do real-world tests to see how off-the-grid we can be.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts