Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone comment on the adventure tent? I'm considering purchasing one with my R1S order. I'm curious about the quality, spaciousness, ease of setup and packing, noise and weather protection...etc. Would I be better off using after market solution or other suppliers? I need it to fit myself, my wife and two daughters (6 yr old and 2 yr old).

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have been researching this as well and from dimensions, four people even if two are kids will be pretty tight. You can see the measurements on the website.

for quality, it’s a Yakima so the quality will be pretty good but what I don’t like is that it’s not a hard shell case. With all the sun I get here in CA, it will get ruined quickly. So I am looking for a hard shell tent instead. The downside is that it adds more right but I’m ok with it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been researching this as well and from dimensions, four people even if two are kids will be pretty tight. You can see the measurements on the website.

for quality, it’s a Yakima so the quality will be pretty good but what I don’t like is that it’s not a hard shell case. With all the sun I get here in CA, it will get ruined quickly. So I am looking for a hard shell tent instead. The downside is that it adds more right but I’m ok with it.
Thank you. Yeah, I think I'll be better off with 2 tents, one for my wife and me and the other for our two daughters. I also didn't like the soft-shell case. Look s like I'll be researching other tent options beyond what Rivian offers.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I’ve posted a bunch here on about Roof top tents. Without a hoist set up it is a PITA for 2 adults to take one on and off. I’m on my 2nd RTT. The first one had when my kids were younger and almost never used it. Getting young kids down/up the ladder in the middle for night potty time of the wasn't fun and usually ended in us all being up for good at 4am… as others have said the one from rivian is a Yakama tent and quality. It is a “soft shell” tent and there is much debate even within those that like and use RTTs if soft shell or hard shell is better. I’ve had both and greatly prefer hard shell (my current RTT is iKamper mini). We camp a ton up here in Alaska on only use the RTT 5-10% of the time. The way the weather is going may not use it at all this year and already camped >60 nights in 2022.

As for your size question. The Yakama is a 3 person, I think 2 adults and 2 small kids would be fine. Personally I like smaller RTTs. Easier (but not at all easy) to get on and off, You only want to take the minimum gear up there anyway. Both my teens and I do just fine in our 2 person. My wife hates the RTT, she is >23 years in the military, likes cots or a hammock.

Again I highly recommend renting an RTT before you buy one. Everyone I know that has one and uses it uses a ground tent set up way more often then the RTT. Ground tents are better and more versatile 99% of the time.

if you do go down that road. In terms of buying one, Yakama does a military discount (25%) through NEX from time to time. And also a good use for the REI 20% off coupon. Another good reason to buy from REI over Rivian is that REI generally will take it back if you hate it within 90 days.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve posted a bunch here on about Roof top tents. Without a hoist set up it is a PITA for 2 adults to take one on and off. I’m on my 2nd RTT. The first one had when my kids were younger and almost never used it. Getting young kids down/up the ladder in the middle for night potty time of the wasn't fun and usually ended in us all being up for good at 4am… as others have said the one from rivian is a Yakama tent and quality. It is a “soft shell” tent and there is much debate even within those that like and use RTTs if soft shell or hard shell is better. I’ve had both and greatly prefer hard shell (my current RTT is iKamper mini). We camp a ton up here in Alaska on only use the RTT 5-10% of the time. The way the weather is going may not use it at all this year and already camped >60 nights in 2022.

As for your size question. The Yakama is a 3 person, I think 2 adults and 2 small kids would be fine. Personally I like smaller RTTs. Easier (but not at all easy) to get on and off, You only want to take the minimum gear up there anyway. Both my teens and I do just fine in our 2 person. My wife hates the RTT, she is >23 years in the military, likes cots or a hammock.

Again I highly recommend renting an RTT before you buy one. Everyone I know that has one and uses it uses a ground tent set up way more often then the RTT. Ground tents are better and more versatile 99% of the time.

if you do go down that road. In terms of buying one, Yakama does a military discount (25%) through NEX from time to time. And also a good use for the REI 20% off coupon. Another good reason to buy from REI over Rivian is that REI generally will take it back if you hate it within 90 days.
Very good review and useful information. Thank you very much. I talked with my wife and we decided to go with a ground tent. We are not experienced campers and we have enough to deal with learning our Rivian R1S, so we will take our time, do more research on ground tents and pick a suitable one. Thanks again.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Very good review and useful information. Thank you very much. I talked with my wife and we decided to go with a ground tent. We are not experienced campers and we have enough to deal with learning our Rivian R1S, so we will take our time, do more research on ground tents and pick a suitable one. Thanks again.
Glad I could help. Camping is great family time and opens up access to everything outdoors. Enjoy.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Here is a photo of the 3 of us in the 2 person iKamper mini last fall. We sleep kids on the outside head toward shell, me in the middle head toward the door, picture is My legs between the 2 teens on top of my bag. This tent foot print is 83”x51”. I’m 5’8” 165 lbs, kids are 5’2” 120lbs and 5’10” 145 lbs.
Hood Automotive tire Tints and shades Tarpaulin Electric blue

·
Registered
406 Posts
After watching RTT opinions on YouTube, I decided on a Gazelle T4 hub tent
1/4 the cost, 90 second setup and teardown, standing interior height and you can drive away without tearing it down.
Nice. Many ice fishing tents are a similar design. For our shower/toilet room I switched from a traditional to a pop up 3 years ago. No regrets it is much easier to use.
New pop up is this one. WolfWise Pop-up Shower Tent https://a.co/d/9Fx8iss
Car Sky Vehicle Land vehicle Tire

Old pole tent.
Automotive tail & brake light Tent Plant community Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a photo of the 3 of us in the 2 person iKamper mini last fall. We sleep kids on the outside head toward shell, me in the middle head toward the door, picture is My legs between the 2 teens on top of my bag. This tent foot print is 83”x51”. I’m 5’8” 165 lbs, kids are 5’2” 120lbs and 5’10” 145 lbs.
View attachment 7761
Looks roomier than the impression you get from a 2-person tent. Thanks :).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts