Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all! Has anyone gotten any info regarding Rivian offering the V2G or V2H option? The Ford Lightning EV offers this option, and we want that option too. We’re off-grid & solar. It’s getting late in the game for Rivian to play catch up or tell us when this will be available.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have not seen/read any news of Rivian offering V2G or V2H as of yet. However, the R1's will have V2V, in specific, Rivian to Rivian charging.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, EyeOnRivian. This is a big deal for us and many other folks who are off grid. Makes more sense for us to buy a large capacity electric battery/truck (Rivian) than spend $25,000 on a Tesla powerwall. Rivian’s delay makes the Ford Lightning’s V2H option tempting

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm a little hesitant to say Rivian is playing catch-up with their EAVs launching in the next couple of months where Ford had announced mid 2022 for the Lightning, and that assumes no delays and you're at the front of the line. If the "future" Lightning meets your "current" needs, then it probably makes sense for you to wait.

Personally, with Rivian's current target segment of the adventure vehicle owner, it's hard to say where V2H or V2G is on their list of priorities. I think as V2H/G gets discussed more, especially from the Rivian crowd, it can only increase the chances Rivian implements one or both of these features sooner than later. However, if to support these features requires hardware changes, then I doubt they would be available on the R1 series. As I've mentioned to others there's nothing like telling Rivian directly. If you haven't already, I'd encourage you to express your specific needs for an EV directly to Rivian. Send them an email. Call or chat with their Customer Support. Log it directly with Rivian. And keep after them!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My money says absolutely not going to happen. V2h, when used, will increase discharge cycles of the battery without adding miles… and rivian is shooting for 180k mile warranty vs 100k for f150… This is too much of a liability to result in battery loss of function within warranty parameters at a much lower mileage. It would be nice, but 180k mile warranty is also nice.

Maybe I am wrong, but it sounds reasonable anyway.

·
Registered
651 Posts
My money says absolutely not going to happen. V2h, when used, will increase discharge cycles of the battery without adding miles… and rivian is shooting for 180k mile warranty vs 100k for f150… This is too much of a liability to result in battery loss of function within warranty parameters at a much lower mileage. It would be nice, but 180k mile warranty is also nice.

Maybe I am wrong, but it sounds reasonable anyway.
That’s an interesting point. And if you drive aggressively you’ll put more stress/wear on the battery compared to someone who cruises at 55mph long distances, too.

I wonder if we’ll start to see EV warranties shift towards a maximum number of discharge cycles instead of miles?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts