Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made my downpayment last year with the intention of buying a ST1. I bought an 23CB Airstream recently. Max tow weight 6000lbs. I wonder what towing does to the longevity of the Rivian battery pack. How will it affect my mileage?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Ploemy! Are you planning on getting the R1S or R1T? Rivian says the towing capcity is 11,000 pounds (R1T) and 7,700 pounds (R1S) so you should be good there with your airstream.

As far as how it affects the mileage, nothing's been tested yet, but there will be a decrease. The closest we have to go on is the testing that's happened with other EVs like the Tesla Model X.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I made my downpayment last year with the intention of buying a ST1. I bought an 23CB Airstream recently. Max tow weight 6000lbs. I wonder what towing does to the longevity of the Rivian battery pack. How will it affect my mileage?
I actually had a similar question and spoke with both RJ and one of the battery engineers during the Seattle event. My trailer is roughly 10,000 lbs and the current anticipation was the range would depreciate by 40-50% at that weight.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I might simplify this a bit too much but if a 10,000 lbs trailer depreciates the battery range by 40 - 50% would a 6,000 lbs trailer depreciate the range by 24 - 30% given my trailer is 40% lighter than your 10k lbs?
With the 180KW battery that would bring the theoretical range down to approx. 290 - 310 miles. If that is the case I might be able to live with it.

Thx for the response.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They recently posted this to their website:

"The R1T will have a towing capacity of 11,000 lbs. The R1S will have a towing capacity of 7,700 lbs. Similar to a conventional vehicle, range is affected by towing. Hauling 11,000 lbs will reduce range by about 50%."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I received my invite from Rivian yesterday to start making vehicle choices. I wanted to go for a180Kwh R1S SUV. However I noticed that only the 135Kwh version is offered right now. Does anybody know when the 180Kwh will become available?

I have one other question, I am originally from the Netherlands but work in Portland Oregon. Once my work permit here in the US expires I'll return to Europe and want to take the car back home. Recently a read up on Tesla's that got exported to Europe only to find out there are a lot of issues with charging compatibility also navigation that won't work there as well. Does anybody know if the Rivian would have the same issues? If that is the case I will have to cancel my downpayment and give up on the idea of driving electric for a while.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would say that you would not have trouble with the charger infrastructure like the Tesla since CCS is standard here and Europe AFAIK. Tesla Superchargers are different in Europe than they are in NA so that is likely part of the problem for Teslas. As for the Nav etc, that would be a question I would direct at Rivian Support.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, that makes it maybe?? with an adapter?? CCS Combo 2 to CCS Combo 1 Adapter | EV Charger Adapter Factory.
I would say don't buy an EV until you are back in Europe. No point in getting messed up by standards issues.
Yeah it is rather risky to get the car in North America only to find out when I'm back in Europe it won't work. It really is unfortunate since cars in my home country the Netherlands are heavily taxed. I would basically not be able to afford the Rivian there. If I buy it here in the USA and drive it no less than 6 months before I take it back to Europe I am allowed to bring it along as household goods tax free. I can only do that once. I understand Rivian is reluctant to shed a light on this issue right now. They wouldn't want folks to start a parallel export business to Europe until they are good and ready to start their own Rivian business in Europe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts