Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Ford investing so much money into Rivian, do you think there's a possibility that Rivian could use Ford's dealer network for dealing with customers?

Like for example, if you order a Rivian could you pick it up from a Ford dealer if you can't have it delivered to your house?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think it's definitely a reasonable assumption. Furthermore, I could see there being "Rivian Certified" Ford dealerships that would provide Maintenance and Repair services. Ford and Lincoln already plan to use the Rivian Skateboard to develop their own vehicles. It only makes sense for Rivian to capitalize off the Ford dealership infrastructure and service expertise.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's definitely a reasonable assumption. Furthermore, I could see there being "Rivian Certified" Ford dealerships that would provide Maintenance and Repair services. Ford and Lincoln already plan to use the Rivian Skateboard to develop their own vehicles. It only makes sense for Rivian to capitalize off the Ford dealership infrastructure and service expertise.
I hope so too, it makes too much sense for Rivian not to try and do it. If not, I think their partnership with Cox will address that.

It was mentioned in another thread about what Cox's role will be with Rivian. (Rivian gets $350 million investment from Cox Enterprises)

But it’s the Cox partnership that could prove the most troubling for Musk. While Tesla has more than 100 service centers in 30 states, Cox handled more than 55 million service appointments in 2019 at its sprawling network of commercial and dealer partner service centers across the United States. If something goes wrong with an R1T or R1S, the idea, presumably, is that a customer will be able to take the vehicle to a Cox service center like Pivet to have it repaired correctly and in a timely fashion, something that Tesla has struggled with since its inception.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I might be the only one, but I've never heard of Cox Enterprises before. Why is there investment in Rivian noteworthy? BTW, as a current Volt owner everyone should be mindful that making sure the people authorized to work on electric vehicles actually have properly skilled and trained technicians to do so. Theres a lot of mechanics out there who have limited experience with electric drivetrains and/or don't care to know b/c they prefer internal combustion engines.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might be the only one, but I've never heard of Cox Enterprises before. Why is there investment in Rivian noteworthy? BTW, as a current Volt owner everyone should be mindful that making sure the people authorized to work on electric vehicles actually have properly skilled and trained technicians to do so. Theres a lot of mechanics out there who have limited experience with electric drivetrains and/or don't care to know b/c they prefer internal combustion engines.
Cox Automotive is basically the parent company for brands like Manheim, AutoTrader, Kelley Blue Book and DealerTrack. I wasn't familiar with them at first either lol.

Side note, how long have you owned your Volt for? Any issues with servicing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had my Volt for about 5 years. Lived in metro Houston and now metro Kansas City. Can only take my Volt to a limited number of "Voltec" certified dealers. Which often translates to a multi-day backlog at these certified dealerships b/c they only have one or two mechanics at best who are actually trained to work on them. With said, its been a rare occurrence that the car required serviceing b/c the car is built really well. I'll add that part of my concern about making sure the right people are working on these cars is that they're still some what of a novelty at the "Big Three" dealerships. On multiple occasions I've heard mechanics and Salesmen talk crap about the Volt in my presence. They don't understand it and don't care too. And they can't say it's not a reliable vehicle b/c the facts say the opposite.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you can't get a Rivian from a dealer how are they planning on selling them? Are they going to something similar to Tesla?

·
Registered
7 Posts
MilesK, that's a good question that I feel Rivian should`ve been forthcoming about by now. Aside from personal deliveries which could logistically and cost challenging, I have this feeling that select Ford dealerships are going to serve as delivery centers. I would expand upon this idea that Rivian might think to include a special Rivian Customer experience center within these selected Forder Dealerships that will allow "Owners" to view the vehicle in person and actually see Exterior Color and Trim packages in person. As we all know, viewing the color of a car in person vs. through digital or print media can make a huge difference in the ultimate preference of a person. Compared to Tesla, I think Rivian has dropped the ball by not opening any "Customer Experience" centers to introduce the brand to more people and allow future owners to see this product up close and personal.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I wouldn't be against some kind of pop up shop system for Rivian. I'm with you Fergie a little more clarification about that would be great.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I know Mini has done well by taking over small sections of BMW dealers to create a mini MINI dealer.

Seeing that happening at Ford won't be so bad.

Even if its just at the more central/high volume areas for Rivian sales.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With Ford investing so much money into Rivian, do you think there's a possibility that Rivian could use Ford's dealer network for dealing with customers?

Like for example, if you order a Rivian could you pick it up from a Ford dealer if you can't have it delivered to your house?
I would prefer taking ownership of my vehicle at the factory!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Porsche just stopped offering their special European delivery and a lot of people are pissed. If it can have that effect then I know Rivian will benefit
Is that because of Coronavirus? Or was that something they were already planning on doing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
MilesK, that's a good question that I feel Rivian should`ve been forthcoming about by now. Aside from personal deliveries which could logistically and cost challenging, I have this feeling that select Ford dealerships are going to serve as delivery centers. I would expand upon this idea that Rivian might think to include a special Rivian Customer experience center within these selected Forder Dealerships that will allow "Owners" to view the vehicle in person and actually see Exterior Color and Trim packages in person. As we all know, viewing the color of a car in person vs. through digital or print media can make a huge difference in the ultimate preference of a person. Compared to Tesla, I think Rivian has dropped the ball by not opening any "Customer Experience" centers to introduce the brand to more people and allow future owners to see this product up close and personal.
It looks like they are working on plans for customer experience centers. A former colleague of mine is the Director of Construction for Rivian, and posted the following article describing a potential Laguna Beach, CA center.

Here is a link to the article:

Laguna Beach's historic movie theater undergoes concept review for revival

1 - 20 of 25 Posts