Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I know from my own research 99% of "adult" size ATVs will not fit in the R1T bed with tailgate closed and still have all 4 wheels in contact with the bed and doing no modifications to the ATV. (Thought about having ATV up at a angle (incline) but that would be a pain. And even then it would probably have to be one of the smaller ATVs.)

When Rivian revealed their EAVs back in Nov 2018 there was a spec sheet floating around the internet that indicated the bed length with tailgate down at 82.7 inches. I've have yet to see any "recent" or official specs from Rivian. (Another source is here but there's no date so not clear how old/recent the spec info is.) I do know (from a Rivian team lead I spoke with at a Rivian event last October) that both the R1T and R1S overall length increased by an inch or two, plus the new lengths have been reflected on their website. Did the overall vehicle length affect the bed length? Don't know. Has Rivian made other changes to the prototype or to the intended production model? I suspect so but we just don't know specially where yet.

But even if the bed length with tailgate down doesn't change there's still the unknown of how much weight will the tailgate support. As a reminder it's a motorized tailgate that can also go beyond 90 degrees and open to 180 degrees. I would think Rivian would take into account that people will use the bed with the tailgate in the 90 degree position (with probably some sort of a bed-extension gate) and design the tailgate and motors to handle a heavy load on it, but I certainly would want confirmation from them on what that weight limit will be.

None the less, even if we had the those bed and tailgate specs, the answer would obviously depend on the weight and length of the ATV you're looking to haul.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks EOR. The rear wheels of a standard ATV ( we'll say 450 CC @ 700 lbs. ) will have to rest fully on the tailgate so you are right about it's load capacity down; it will require some kind of rating. The bed will also need about 50" between wheelwells. Hopefully some specs will be released about that to support this adventure vehicle's status.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not much out there. Bed is 5.1 ft.

Specifications
  • WHEELBASE. 135.8 in.
  • TRACK (front/rear) 67.3 in.
  • RANGE. Up to 400+ miles.
  • ACCELERATION. 0-60 in 3 seconds.
  • TOTAL POWER. Up to 750 hp.
  • COMBINED MOTOR TORQUE. 829 ft-lb.
  • GEAR TUNNEL VOLUME. 12.4 cu ft.
  • FRONT TRUNK VOLUME. 11.1 cu ft.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not much out there. Bed is 5.1 ft.
There's way more specs than that listed at the link I provided in post #2 and again below.

That's the spec sheet I was referring to, albeit half of it as it's missing the R1S specs column. The article may have been updated Jan 5, 2020 but unfortunately not the spec sheet in that article. (Looks to be just a photocopy of it.) E.g. as I previously mentioned the overall length for R1T and R1S are an inch or two longer than what's listed on that spec sheet. Rivian made this change at least as far back as October 2019 when they told me this at the Normal event. When I got home I compared the specs on their website to the spec sheet found on the internet and the Rivian website indeed did list the overall length longer, for both EAVs. Considering Rivian is slow to update their website there's a good chance they increased the overall length long before October. Anyhow ...

R1T -
Overall length:​
Spec sheet = 5475 mm = 215.55 in.​
Rivian website = 217.1 in.​
evspecifications.com = 217.1 in.​

Bed width:​
Spec sheet = 1385 mm = 54.5 in.​
Rivian website = not listed​
evspecifications.com = 1385 mm = 54.5 in.​

Seeing that evspecificaions.com had the updated overall vehicle length, perhaps the bed width hasn't changed and is still 54.5". Question becomes is the bed width measurement from each bed wall or from each wheel well? According to the comments to in this reddit post the feeling (guess) is the bed width measurement is from each bed wall. If that's the case then the width is much less than 54.5". Depending on how high the wheel well protrudes up into the bed and the distance in front of it to the back of the cab, you might be able to drive the ATV up and over the wheel wells with the ATV straddle the wells. But that's still a lot of unknowns and probably a long shot at best.

If you haven't already I would recommend just shooting an email directly to Rivian and asking them - [email protected].

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good idea contacting Rivian. Hopefully they reply sooner than they normally do. Thanks for your research.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts