Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we've had a few rainy days here in Austin, and the water drops on the cameras are getting annoying.

Automotive mirror Gadget Rear-view mirror Communication Device Font

Vehicle Automotive mirror Output device Gadget Communication Device

The cameras don't seem to have any hydrophobic coating on them, so I wanted to see if the collective Rivian brain trust had any experience or recommendations.

It seems most discussions focus on windshields, obviously, and I haven't seen much on cameras. However, the summary is that RainX is not very good, and there are better solutions.

Specifically, gtechniq got good reviews, and when I dug into it, I saw this important note:

G1 will only work on glass substrates and so, it will not work on modern headlight lenses which are made from polycarbonate. For these you will need to use G5 Water Repellent for Glass and Perspex.
So the question is:
1. What is the lens on the Rivian cameras? Glass or plastic?
2. Has anyone tried any hydrophobic solutions on the cameras? How did it work out?

· Registered
39 Posts
This is not a issue unique to Rivian. Most, of not all, factory cameras are not hydrophobic. There is a vast number of products available; pretty much "pick your poison". Rain-X will work, just won't last very long. Spray-on ceramic/graphene is the latest trend. I use Aerolon Tech Shine on my current car (non-Rivian) and it has served me well.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is not a issue unique to Rivian. Most, of not all, factory cameras are not hydrophobic. There is a vast number of products available; pretty much "pick your poison". Rain-X will work, just won't last very long. Spray-on ceramic/graphene is the latest trend. I use Aerolon Tech Shine on my current car (non-Rivian) and it has served me well.
Thanks! Such are the challenges coming from a 2006 to a fancy Rivian. #cameras

1 - 4 of 4 Posts