Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the configurator is out we finally know how much the camp kitchen is going to be, $5000! It comes with a built-in sink, 4 gallon water tank and pump, and an optional 30-piece prep and cookware set.

What does everyone think of the $5,000 price tag? Has anyone ordered it with their R1T?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really like the concept, but the price is too high. I was hoping that this would be something that Rivian was throwing in (or at least offering at a substantial discount) for everyone that pre-ordered long ago. Guess not :( Does the 5k even include the optional cookware set?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I didn't see an option to order the camp kitchen or tent. Both are options definitely being considered.
Would also like to eliminate the white accents of the explore package interior...all black is preferred.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Trail Master Mike, @MilesK, I also did not see the option for Camp Kitchen. I picked R1T Launch Edition. Perhaps the kitchen wont be ready by June 2021 for Launch Edition? I have an E-mail out to support to see if thats the case and if it will be possible to add the kitchen later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes. I reached out to Rivian via Chat.
After choosing exterior color, scroll down...there is a menu of options including wheel type, camp kitchen, off road package etc. The Tent is not available yet but be soon.
We purchased the kitchen option. Will get the tent when it's available. Both are primary motivators to buying the R1T.
Maybe a portable shower if offered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes. I reached out to Rivian via Chat.
After choosing exterior color, scroll down...there is a menu of options including wheel type, camp kitchen, off road package etc. The Tent is not available yet but be soon.
We purchased the kitchen option. Will get the tent when it's available. Both are primary motivators to buying the R1T.
Maybe a portable shower if offered.
Thank you! I found and ordered it. It's expensive but will make camping with the kids so much easier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What I want to know is if this can be added later as some sort of dealer-installed accessory, or if it is too integrated to be easily added later. $5k is steep, but if this ends up being a desirable option and I end up getting back an extra $3k at time of resale over someone else's truck that did not have the camp kitchen, then the total cost of ownership for this option is not bad at all.

But there may be no resale advantage if it's easily added later

·
Registered
7 Posts
Perhaps not much impact on resale if it can be added any old time. 5K is expensive but for us it was a primary motivator for the vehicle choice. We will use it from Day One.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i would say hold tight .. Rivian got plenty of time to add more options, such as the tent, to the mix between now and 1st deliveries in 2021.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Apparently you'll be able to change options when you're asked to finalize your order. Maybe that'll include things like the tent.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The kitchen comes with 2 pieces, basically. There's a set of rails that installs into the gear tunnel which Rivian has stated will be used with other gear tunnel devices they'll be developing and releasing later. The camp kitchen is a removable piece that attaches to the slide rails to move in and out of the gear tunnel, so it can be removed and left behind, or swapped to a different gear once they've released more.

I would be very surprised if you couldn't purchase the camp kitchen later as a standalone. Why stop themselves from making money they otherwise would miss out on by only allowing it to be purchased during initial configuration?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My guess is they're forecasting low volumes for the initial run of the camp kitchen. So even though the materials cost is likely a lot less than $5K, the manufacturing cost is high, and they're trying to cover as much cost as they can with the $5K. If it's popular and they get volumes up, I'd expect the price to come down.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The kitchen is removable right? So if you want to use the gear tunnel, that’s still an option?
I'd be surprised if it wasn't removable. I can't see it happen where whatever gear tunnel accessory you get is there permanently. Rivian should promote the interchangeability of the gear tunnel.

·
Registered
176 Posts
When you do the final breakdown in price, the $5,000 can almost be justified as it comes with the gear slide ($1,500) option, plus the cookware set which I am told can be upwards of $1,000, now the "kitchen" part (which is detachable and storable, becomes a $2,500 option. That is better than paying $2,500 for yellow or blue paint!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts