Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odd question maybe - I had my Rivian charger on a 40 amp circuit (and set with the dip switches) and working fine. I had an electrician come out and verify that I could go up to 50 amps with the wiring I had.

we powered off the charger and changed the dip switches (on, on, off) for a 50 amp circuit, but the truck still charges at 32 amps. Is there something else I need to reset somewhere to get it to use the higher amps?

· Registered
503 Posts
Odd question maybe - I had my Rivian charger on a 40 amp circuit (and set with the dip switches) and working fine. I had an electrician come out and verify that I could go up to 50 amps with the wiring I had.

we powered off the charger and changed the dip switches (on, on, off) for a 50 amp circuit, but the truck still charges at 32 amps. Is there something else I need to reset somewhere to get it to use the higher amps?
Did you check if the truck is set to 32 amps?

· Registered
790 Posts
By 40 amp circuit do you mean you had a 40 amp circuit breaker and you were charging at 32 amps (80% of the circuit breaker rating)?

If the electrician approved the wiring AND upgraded the breaker to 50 amps, then you should be able to charge at 40 amps now. The positions of the DIP switches for that is (on, on, off) like you said, so if you're not getting 40 amps here are some things you can check:

1) Make sure the charging current is not limited by the Rivian - check the settings under the Energy menu.
2) Make sure the DIP switches have been properly set. I don't know about the switches in the charger, but sometimes with DIP switches it's hard to tell which way is "on".
3) Make sure the DIP switches are thrown all the way - sometimes they don't have a positive click or lock at the end of their travel, so it's hard to tell if they are in the right position. If you move them to the far end then back again maybe you'll find one or more wasn't set all the way. Do this after turning the breaker off please.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the response!

Quick background:
Originally had a 40 amp breaker installed by the builder to garage box. Installed Rivian charger and set to 40 amp dip setting (32 usable) and all was well at that point.

I checked the wiring out of curiosity and it is 6awg so I had someone come take a look who confirmed it’s 50 amp capable and swapped the breaker out for a 50.

This morning I cut the power and re-flipped the dip switches to make sure they were positively clicked into position. I will try charging again tonight to see what it does. Is there a way to see the amp limit in software anywhere that I’m missing?

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you! I was hoping I was just overlooking something obvious (which would be good and bad). Just for fun I tried resetting the Rivian charger unit back to it's default (all DIP's on for 48A) just to see if that did anything (and no).

I know the truck itself can/does store the specific location charger settings and I wonder if there's a menu to clear those out somewhere without doing something drastic. Seems like a thing that should exist.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got off the phone with Rivian service. They had me do a hard reset of the vehicle which didn't fix the issue. I really think the charger unit itself is not advertising the higher amps (for lack of a better description) and I'm not sure where to go from here, but I also can't rule out the vehicle itself entirely. It's not a huge deal to have 8 less amps to work with, but I did pay for more so I want to use them!

· Registered
R1T LE
58 Posts
Same issue with my charger and my R1T. I was using a 50 amp breaker with #8 wire, but upgraded to a 60 amp breaker with #6 wire. Flipped the dip switches and I still can’t get the 48 amp charge rate. So annoying. I’ve reset both charger and truck, but always defaults to 42 amp after I plug it in.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Progress! I had a new guide assigned and I asked him to see if he could investigate for me. Yesterday all of a sudden I saw my charge rate jump up. Apparently there was an OTA update/change that fixed it. I don't have any more details and my charger software version doesn't show anything different so hard to say what, but it's fixed!

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Let me know how it goes! I'm still slightly concerned because I would like to bump up to the 60A setting when I can some things rearranged in the garage and electrical panel and I am suspicious I will have to contact them again vs using the DIP switches.

· Registered
62 Posts
Similar Issue but not exactly the same...I installed an Autel 50 amp charger yesterday (hardwired). We set the charger to produce 48 amps (60 amp breaker). The Rivian is set for 48 amps. When I plugged it in, it had right at 50% of charge and snuggly settled in at a reported 42 amps (adding 19 miles per hour of charge) where it steadfastly remained until reaching the 85% cutoff point.

I have a tech coming on Tuesday to perform my steering recall and they hope to be able to tell me something by then. The advisor who called me back to schedule this yesterday didn't know what to think either, but he did say there was no OTA on this and, if there had been, he would have been "in the loop" long before a guide would be. He read this thread while we were on the phone and was "lightly amused" by that part to say the least.

As an aside...it appears that the Rivian app records "Time Elapsed" based on how long the charger has been plugged in (continuing to advance after charging limit is reached). I assume (always dangerous) that, if I left it plugged in continuously, a couple of things would happen
(1) I would never "see" the phantom loss and
(2) Kwh used would continue to increase as the phantom loss was restored by the charger.

· Registered
3 Posts

Maybe your charging cable

1 - 20 of 28 Posts