Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current set up for my Tesla is NEMA 14-50. Although I would like the faster charging with the Rivian charger, my panel is maxed out. Other than the faster charging (25 miles v. 14 with the NEMA), are the other reasons to get the Rivian charger? The website mentions WiFI connectivity for OTA updates with the Rivian, but can't figure out why that's necessary? Just want to make sure I don't miss out on anything if I don't get the Rivian charger.
Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
2014 BMX X5 diesel
21 Posts
Anybody know anything about the charger's compatibility with other electric vehicles? We also have an i3. I've dragged my feet getting a fast charger (much to my wife's chagrin) and am hoping Rivian's will be all we need - whenever my R1S shows up.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Anybody know anything about the charger's compatibility with other electric vehicles? We also have an i3. I've dragged my feet getting a fast charger (much to my wife's chagrin) and am hoping Rivian's will be all we need - whenever my R1S shows up.
Any car that uses a J1772 plug will work, Tesla would need an adapter but would work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Current set up for my Tesla is NEMA 14-50. Although I would like the faster charging with the Rivian charger, my panel is maxed out. Other than the faster charging (25 miles v. 14 with the NEMA), are the other reasons to get the Rivian charger? The website mentions WiFI connectivity for OTA updates with the Rivian, but can't figure out why that's necessary? Just want to make sure I don't miss out on anything if I don't get the Rivian charger.
Thanks, Scott
Your panel being maxed out shouldn’t matter if you replace the NEMA 14-50 circuit. You would need to update that circuit to 60A and possibly/probably replace the wiring for that circuit to handle the larger current.

·
Registered
Model 3
5 Posts
I'm sure you will be able to set the rivian charger to the lower 50A breaker size/40A limit.
But I always recommend sticking with the 14-50, because you can plug anything into it, including someone visiting with a different EV, or if you change cars in the future, or even a welder or some other appliance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I downloaded the installation sheet for the Rivian wall charger. There are 3 pin settings to click for different peak/continuous amperage set ups. So you can definitely set the Rivian wall charger to 50A / 40A as well as 7 other settings (only 1 or 2 higher than 50A / 40A) and several lower. Installation instructions look pretty straight forward. But I would prefer to just plug into my NEMA 14-50 as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.