Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Rivian hasn't fully released their plans for what their charging network is going to look like. But I figured I'd start this thread to keep track of the information as it comes out.

RJ Scaringe has said that Rivian is planning on rolling out a network of charging stations at key locations such as national parks, but he has also said that the R1T and R1S will use CCS standard charger so they can partner with other manufacturers. They haven't made any of those partnerships official yet but it seems likely they'll partner with Electrify America given their relationship with Ford.

He has also said that the R1S and R1T can fast DC charge at up to 160kW, giving approximately 200 miles of range in 30 mins.

Along with that Scaringe has mentioned in the past that Rivian will have vehicle-to-vehicle charging auxiliary battery packs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As long as VW keeps building out the Electrify America and Electrify Canada networks that use the CCS standard, there is not much need for Rivian's own charging network in my opinion. My area is now pretty well served by Electrify America, and any Rivian will be able to charge at those stations from day 1. Maybe Rivian can fill in some of the areas on the map that don't have anything planned yet. But if you live near a major metro area in North America, chances are Electrify America is already building DC fast charge stations near you. The pace of the rollout has been astonishing.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We now have some new information about Rivian's charging network. They're going to call it the "Rivian Adventure Network"

Their going to start with chargers at places like off-roading pit stops, national parks, and RV parks. One of the first ones is expected to be placed in Moab.

They're aiming for its DC charging stations to deliver up to 200kW, charging two vehicles at once.

Rivian's charging network to be called "Rivian...

·
Registered
6 Posts
IMHO, the second primary mission for Rivian (first is getting their vehicle properly engineered and produced), it to either team with Tesla's SC network, make their own, or (gulp) team with Electrify America (EA). Musk and Scaringe should have a phone call in which Rivian offers to pay for 10-12 superchargers for every 200-500 vehicles Rivian sells in exchange for Rivian's use of Tesla's SC network. Cost for Rivian owners might be more than a Tesla owner, but less than EA. Musk should accept if his goal is sustainable transportation.

Electrify America charging experience is pretty poor (OK terrible) compared to Tesla (sorry, but Tesla set the standard: cost, convenience and charging speed, which is not that fast). Imagine driving to an EA charger with less than 10% and hoping 1) the app works, or 2) your cc works on their reader, 3) the touchscreen works, 4) charging is not 50kW or slower. Rarely do Tesla superchargers not work when you plug in.
Seems like they are trying to make the experience better, but why is it quadruple the cost of a supercharger visit? Why should driving from Phx to Dallas using EA charging cost more than driving a regular ICE car? It costs over twice as much; that's wrong. Despite being fined for cheating (dieselgate), VW has mountains of cash. Since VW has plans to electrify their fleet, why not make sure the charging experience is really really good?
You get the feeling that VW doesn’t really care too much about electrification, but they do care about making money. If they make charging too expensive they will shoot themselves and other EV makers in the foot. Most people that live in houses charge at home 90% of the time, but lots of people live in apartments and would depend on EA chargers.

It boils down to this: if the non-Tesla charging network sucks and costs more than fossil fuels, people won't buy very many electric vehicles, so the network won't need to be very capable or reliable, and will ultimately fail.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What amazes me is the dead spot for Electrify America between Phoenix and Las Vegas and the dead spot between Barstow CA and Flagstaff AZ. Yes I'm referring to Kingman AZ where there is no charger. Kills north and south and west and east. I've contacted EA on this issue and they acknowledge the problem. There phase 3 project is taking suggestions but I doubt they will listen. If Rivian with there 400 mile range can't cover these gaps I will have to go to Tsla or stay with ICE!

·
Registered
6 Posts
@Electrictrucking-
We can only hope that Rivian knows this, and part of their plan is to address this charging infrastructure problem. However, Rivian's silence doesn't help. Makes you wonder if they don't know the issues that their pre-order holders know. And if they don't, just read some Rivian forums.

Although I pre-ordered an R1S, I may cancel my order if Rivian relies on EA. I will not pay for crappy charging that is overpriced.

·
Registered
29 Posts
@Electrictrucking-
We can only hope that Rivian knows this, and part of their plan is to address this charging infrastructure problem. However, Rivian's silence doesn't help. Makes you wonder if they don't know the issues that their pre-order holders know. And if they don't, just read some Rivian forums.

Although I pre-ordered an R1S, I may cancel my order if Rivian relies on EA. I will not pay for crappy charging that is overpriced.
Very good point. Also to make it short I follow The I-Pace and E-Tron forums and I can't spend my time correcting all of the problems they are having. It's not in my DNA and I truly want this truck and I'm a very early reservation holder which in it's self is meaningless except I will be an early buyer I assume. I"m expecting too much thinking Rivian is going to be free of many problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
@Electrictrucking-

sorry but i don't share your sentiment that relying on EA network is a negative. EA network is the fastest growing network atm here in the US + with its partnership with Chargepoint it has increased its current and future footprint. It already gives you the option of cross-country trips from coast to coast. Rivian or other EV brands/legacy brands do not need to build their own network. Tesla's network is already showing its cracks by being closed and wholly owned as it has become its own moat for growth due to CAPEX needs and maintaining infrastructure.

Rivian has already announced it will build its own destination charging infrastructure at select locations, just like Porsche providing its own branded charging network at all of its US/Canada Dealerships and select interstate locations.

To date, all other EV/legacy brands from KIA to Audi & Porsche have offered, with purchase of car, either free charging thru kw or years as well as favorable pricing structure plan with the EA network that is lower than current pricing structure without a plan if you were to "pay as you go". I am anticipating, due to price point of the R1S & R1T, Rivian will offer up charging privileges with purchase of the truck/SUV just like the rest of them.

Now, i am not claiming that EA network is all "unicorn farts and rainbows".. it has its hiccups and it has a ton of work to do when it comes to making the charging experience as smooth as possible just like Tesla with primary focus on "plug n' charge" way of EV ownership. That will come eventually and is in the pipeline.

+90% of your charging needs will be met in your garage/at home and not by a network unless you become a Rivian gypsy. We as a family will be making use of the EA network starting next month as we have decided to purchase a different brand EV, that will rely upon EA network if road tripped to hold us over until our R1S and R1T hit in 2021/22, and get rid of 1 of our Jeeps

·
Registered
6 Posts
@PuddleMonkey-
Glad you are going to put your faith in EA charging network. Please take them to task for any poor charging experiences. Because the main problem with EV charging is that it is slower than gas, EV charging needs to be less expensive and easier overall. Otherwise, people will always use this problems as an excuse not to switch from ICE.

·
Registered
27 Posts
@PuddleMonkey-
Glad you are going to put your faith in EA charging network. Please take them to task for any poor charging experiences. Because the main problem with EV charging is that it is slower than gas, EV charging needs to be less expensive and easier overall. Otherwise, people will always use this problems as an excuse not to switch from ICE.

Agreed on the "needs to be made easier and it needs to be faster".. I don't agree on the notion that charging needs to be cheaper than gas.. if anything needs to be on par but not more expensive. You are using the infrastructure and with every use it requires maintenance and upkeep which in turn costs $ to keep network stations up and running. EA network, per design of each station, is future proof. They do not have limitless funds and their goal with its pricing structure dictated by state/county/ect ensures that once funds have depleted it will be self sustain itself going forwards.. which Tesla's doesn't.. as it is not a profit center but rather being used for every single end of quarter sales gimmick perk. Every single tesla owner charging up for free without an expiration date to said perk is NOT helping company to self sustain the network including tesla and its pricing structure. If you drive 2-3hrs for maybe 200-250mi .. you wanna take a break, stretch your legs while you charge .. ideally ~20mi break is conducive.

Again, +90% of your daily charging needs are met at home. If you want to charge faster.. that is up to the car you buy and its battery system. Tesla uses 400v.. Porsche 800v, Lucid will be 900v..Rivian has something up its sleeve apparently that makes charging its forthcoming lineup faster as well.

BEV tech is not mature, imo, to support all modes of transportation and nor should it in the future. Until we have some major battery tech advancements we are bound to mine the crap out of the earth raw materials which in turn leaves yet again a stain on the environment that we are trying to protect in the 1st place. A diversity of NEV techs will be required to support all modes of transportation, BEV will never be the sole answer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts