Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Rivian charging station in Salida, Colorado has started construction. Looks like there will be a total of 4 Level 3 chargers and 4 Level 2 chargers based on the plans.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
This has me wondering how many other Rivian Level 3 charging stations are being built out right now. Colorado is a key state for EVs so that's understandable. But a big concern will be dead spots or where lower Level 2 is all we have.

·
Registered
360 Posts
This has me wondering how many other Rivian Level 3 charging stations are being built out right now. Colorado is a key state for EVs so that's understandable. But a big concern will be dead spots or where lower Level 2 is all we have.
At the risk of stating the obvious, charging stations are the key to acceptance of EVs and someone, whether the government, EV manufactures or a combination of the two, will need to address the issue. While finding a charging station is not a problem along the urban corridors on both coasts and in more populated areas elsewhere, there are many areas of North America that are very poorly served.

Rivian is addressing this need to some extent, but their effort is focused on the parts North America with national parks or forests. Getting across KS or NB in your EV while towing a camper - to say nothing of doing the same in Manitoba or Saskatchewan - will remain anxiety-producing for the foreseeable future. Fixing the dead zone problem will require some kind of incentive.

·
Registered
395 Posts
At the risk of stating the obvious, charging stations are the key to acceptance of EVs and someone, whether the government, EV manufactures or a combination of the two, will need to address the issue. While finding a charging station is not a problem along the urban corridors on both coasts and in more populated areas elsewhere, there are many areas of North America that are very poorly served.

Rivian is addressing this need to some extent, but their effort is focused on the parts North America with national parks or forests. Getting across KS or NB in your EV while towing a camper - to say nothing of doing the same in Manitoba or Saskatchewan - will remain anxiety-producing for the foreseeable future. Fixing the dead zone problem will require some kind of incentive.
A lot of campgrounds have the Nema 14/50 outlets that can be used in an area with no chargers. If planning a trip might be worth checking for where those are available in the areas with level 2 and 3 charging is sparse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome @ElectricCoyote

Rivian should have even more Level 3 chargers out by time your max battery pack model can be delivered. Have you received any updates from Rivian lately?
Thanks! Can't wait to see that network fill out, but more excited that I'll have easy charging right in town. My charging capabilities are limited at home with my off grid setup. No updates from Rivian lately...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.