Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A member in one of the Facebook groups apparently reached out to Rivian and asked them about a configurator. They told him that we should expect something coming "late summer". I can't wait for this to come out so we can all spec out trucks out!

Rivian Configurator

·
Registered
105 Posts
If we're all still staying in home by then we're going to have a lot of time on our hands to mess around with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A member in one of the Facebook groups apparently reached out to Rivian and asked them about a configurator. They told him that we should expect something coming "late summer". I can't wait for this to come out so we can all spec out trucks out!

View attachment 405
I am ready to be a beta tester of the "configuration" software. Any thing I can do to help bring the future to the present! Figured out that our deposit was early enought to put us in the first quarter of production. Our newest vehicle is a 2006 so we are ready to have the new gizmos. Went and got an Alexa so we could learn to use that before getting the Rivian. Now I need to learn to use the touch screen on the new laptop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With all the delays (most recent fully understood) and the announcement of Amazon's 100,000 vehicle order, are we all being played. Im not sure what capacity is going to look like but by December Rivian will have had my deposit 2 years and to date I have no idea if production were to start, how much longer I would be waiting. I can only assume executives of all the investors (Amazon, Ford, Cox, T Rowe Price, Blackrock etc) are able to jump the line so while hopefully first quarter 2021 will see its first vehicles off the line, can you really expect to actually get one if you were an early pre-order. Is the configurator just another tease to keep us in line. If Rivian is listening, is there any way to assure pre-orders were not just going to be disappointed again when you start producing and we are expecting to come and pick it up in February only to find out that's not really going to happen..

·
Registered
9 Posts
"Production is hell," to quote Musk, but a lot is in progress despite the virous. Contractors are working on re-habbing the building in Normal, IL, and staff is said to be working at home on getting ready for production. Tesla is going to start back up on May 4 and one could expect other manufacturer's to get back to work, if Illinois and Michigan can keep the disease under control. Despite being disappointed that I will not get the tax credit in 2020 unless Rivian and I can work out an early buy deal, I will accept the delay which was needed to save American lives. So it seems we must wait a few weeks later than the hoped for production in the fourth quarter of the this year. We R1S people may have never had a chance of haviing a new vehicle before the end of this year anyway, from what has been written about SUV model being second to the truck model. But I am an engineer and over 50 years I have learned that the completion date is always based on nothing going wrong, AND Murphy's Law that "if anything can go wrong, it will."

·
Registered
105 Posts
With all the delays (most recent fully understood) and the announcement of Amazon's 100,000 vehicle order, are we all being played. Im not sure what capacity is going to look like but by December Rivian will have had my deposit 2 years and to date I have no idea if production were to start, how much longer I would be waiting. I can only assume executives of all the investors (Amazon, Ford, Cox, T Rowe Price, Blackrock etc) are able to jump the line so while hopefully first quarter 2021 will see its first vehicles off the line, can you really expect to actually get one if you were an early pre-order. Is the configurator just another tease to keep us in line. If Rivian is listening, is there any way to assure pre-orders were not just going to be disappointed again when you start producing and we are expecting to come and pick it up in February only to find out that's not really going to happen..
Hi @Charlie B, I don't think the Amazon order means we're being played. In fact, it means that Rivian is serious about producing a high volume of vehicles. It's not like the Amazon vans are going to be produced first then the R1S and R1T start after. Rivian can't afford to do that to customers, it's just bad luck that a global pandemic has caused this delay.

·
Registered
105 Posts
"Production is hell," to quote Musk, but a lot is in progress despite the virous. Contractors are working on re-habbing the building in Normal, IL, and staff is said to be working at home on getting ready for production. Tesla is going to start back up on May 4 and one could expect other manufacturer's to get back to work, if Illinois and Michigan can keep the disease under control. Despite being disappointed that I will not get the tax credit in 2020 unless Rivian and I can work out an early buy deal, I will accept the delay which was needed to save American lives. So it seems we must wait a few weeks later than the hoped for production in the fourth quarter of the this year. We R1S people may have never had a chance of haviing a new vehicle before the end of this year anyway, from what has been written about SUV model being second to the truck model. But I am an engineer and over 50 years I have learned that the completion date is always based on nothing going wrong, AND Murphy's Law that "if anything can go wrong, it will."
That's a great way of putting it @FanFLelectric! Using Tesla as a comparison, Rivian also way more resources at their disposal for production than Tesla did when they started to scale things up. They may not be physically at the Normal plant but they're still working on making things run smoothly when production does start.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I share your concern. But I think this is part of the game. We all know we're helping fun this thing initially.

Although with the Amazon and Ford backing they really don't need our cash now do they?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts