Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So according to MotorTrend the R1T will have a Conserve drive mode that will convert the power train to 2 - Wheel drive where’s only the electric motors on the front two wheels will be providing power. It was mentioned this feature was added to reduce battery consumption thusly increasing range. Anyone have any insights on how much more range above 300mile one could reasonably expect in Conserve Mode?

· Registered
2017 Chevy BoltEV, 2016 Chevy Volt, 2017 Toyota RAV4
47 Posts
So according to MotorTrend the R1T will have a Conserve drive mode that will convert the power train to 2 - Wheel drive where’s only the electric motors on the front two wheels will be providing power. It was mentioned this feature was added to reduce battery consumption thusly increasing range. Anyone have any insights on how much more range above 300mile one could reasonably expect in Conserve Mode?
Also, how much would using front wheel drive only affect vehicle stability and safety while driving on pavement? Inquiring minds would like to know. Guessing we are not going to know these answers until Rivian decides it is time to release their EPA numbers. Thinking, with deliveries beginning this month, its time to release this information.

· Registered
1,631 Posts
Also, how much would using front wheel drive only affect vehicle stability and safety while driving on pavement? Inquiring minds would like to know. Guessing we are not going to know these answers until Rivian decides it is time to release their EPA numbers. Thinking, with deliveries beginning this month, its time to release this information.
most vehicles on the road are front-wheel drive. During fair-weather non-aggressive driving I doubt most people could tell the difference.

Now in situations with inconsistent traction (such as bad weather or loose gravel/sand) the AWD is going to be noticeable; and if you're pushing the vehicle through curves then torque vectoring is a huge advantage.

On a side note, I'm thinking that torque-steer -- something that affects most FWD vehicles that make decent power -- shouldn't be a problem for Rivian, even when operating in FWD mode, as I think the CV shafts are equal-length.

· Registered
4 Posts
I really like this, and I hope that Conserve drive mode will give much more range above the expected 300mile mark🤞🏼🤞🏼

· Registered
12 Posts
Have you ever driven a Honda?

· Registered
R1T Adventure, El Cap, black interior, power tonneau cover, 21" wheels
26 Posts
I really like this, and I hope that Conserve drive mode will give much more range above the expected 300mile mark🤞🏼🤞🏼
Yeah, the optimist in me is full of hope that FWD/Conserve bumps the max range up 15+ miles. But the pessimist in me is hoping that the officially-announced range doesn't already factor in the Conserve mode. 🤷‍♂️

· Registered
3 Posts
I would assume that two wheel drive mode would not affect stability or safety when driving on the pavement. There are plenty of very safe 2wd vehicles out there. Never have I ever seen anything written that says 4wd is more stable or safe. My understanding is that 4wd only helps you during acceleration and forward traction. If you're really tearing around corners it might help there too, but this is an SUV. Tire choice has a far more meaningful effect on stability and safety when on pavement.

· Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, the optimist in me is full of hope that FWD/Conserve bumps the max range up 15+ miles. But the pessimist in me is hoping that the officially-announced range doesn't already factor in the Conserve mode. 🤷‍♂️
If it's only 15 miles extra I'll be driving in full 4WD unless I'm on the highway on cruise, wearing an extra layer of clothing with the seat heaters on.

· Registered
1,631 Posts
I would assume that two wheel drive mode would not affect stability or safety when driving on the pavement. There are plenty of very safe 2wd vehicles out there. Never have I ever seen anything written that says 4wd is more stable or safe. My understanding is that 4wd only helps you during acceleration and forward traction. If you're really tearing around corners it might help there too, but this is an SUV. Tire choice has a far more meaningful effect on stability and safety when on pavement.
Torque vectoring absolutely helps when cornering. If you feel like driving in a spirited manner, you want to leave AWD on.

· Registered
1,631 Posts
Being OTA enabled I'd love to see a "rear wheel only" propulsion mode made available as well in the near future. It would be nice for trips and tooling around town doing local chores.
They are offering a FWD-only mode. Not RWD. There are physical disconnects on the rear axles that allow for this. The fronts are permanently connected so they'd create drag if they weren't always used for propulsion. For regenerative braking you also want the front motors, as they'll regen a lot more efficiently than the rear -- and it's safer to regen in the front, too. You don't want to cause the rear to lock up or lose traction, and that limits your braking/deceleration options there.

So, as much as a RWD "donut" mode would be fun, it really isn't practical. AWD for fun and spirited driving. FWD for eco.

· Registered
506 Posts
They are offering a FWD-only mode. Not RWD. There are physical disconnects on the rear axles that allow for this. The fronts are permanently connected so they'd create drag if they weren't always used for propulsion. For regenerative braking you also want the front motors, as they'll regen a lot more efficiently than the rear -- and it's safer to regen in the front, too. You don't want to cause the rear to lock up or lose traction, and that limits your braking/deceleration options there.

So, as much as a RWD "donut" mode would be fun, it really isn't practical. AWD for fun and spirited driving. FWD for eco.
Got it, didn't know about the front drive shafts being permanently connected.

Thank you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.