Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

47 MPGe from the new EV Hummer. The battery pack alone weighs as much as a Honda. While this is great compared to a ICE Hummer, it really is the bottom of the barrel in terms of what to expect from EV efficiency ideals.

I think I made a wise decision to preorder the R1s With its 70MPGe.

·
Registered
522 Posts
But, GM crushes Rivian because they are actually producing trucks for retail CUSTOMER delivery...

Now that is what an actual vehicle manufacturing plant should look like.. you know: loaded with vehicles literally rolling off the assembly line. Just saying..

View attachment 4644
LOL too funny! You actually BELIEVE GM is making deliveries to customers! That pic above is all the Integration builds (IVER) and NS builds (Non-saleable) for testing to be used by Engineers and Validation drives by managers. So in effect zero vehicles have been delivery to customers as parts are still being stockpiled at Factory Zero (Detroit Hamtramck).

·
Registered
5 Posts
But, GM crushes Rivian because they are actually producing trucks for retail CUSTOMER delivery...

Now that is what an actual vehicle manufacturing plant should look like.. you know: loaded with vehicles literally rolling off the assembly line. Just saying..
I was under the impression that GM only sold 26 EVs last quarter and that they had initially planned to make only 3,800 Hummers this year but just last week announced a higher goal of 23k for the year. Aside from the staged photos from the factory, is there evidence that GM is making Hummers at a decent clip? Legitimately asking, because that would be great news if true.

·
Registered
514 Posts
A back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests that four hours of freeway driving gets you from 100% battery to close to 0. And then you need two hours of charging to fill it back up. Two hours of charging for four hours of driving is just dumb. (I mean, the Rivian is going to be bad enough in that regard)

·
Registered
504 Posts
LOL too funny! You actually BELIEVE GM is making deliveries to customers!
Well, my exact words were "they are actually producing trucks for retail CUSTOMER delivery ".. which is not the same as "You actually BELIEVE GM is making deliveries to customers".....
At least GM hasn't claimed they have "made customer deliveries" and then it's discovered all those "customers" were company insiders and employees.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, my exact words were "they are actually producing trucks for retail CUSTOMER delivery ".. which is not the same as "You actually BELIEVE GM is making deliveries to customers".....
At least GM hasn't claimed they have "made customer deliveries" and then it's discovered all those "customers" were company insiders and employees.
please cancel your R1S order. This will move me up one spot. Much appreciation.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Apparently because of the Hummer's weight they don't have to disclose the MPGe on the window stickers.

Like "my beer has more than 10% alcohol so I don't have to disclose its alcohol content." How backwards is that?

·
Registered
43 Posts
That is a 200kWh battery on the Hummer? Maybe someone could dig this up but I saw a study somewhere that found, at present energy densities, ev design becomes increasingly sub-optimal beyond 70-100kWh. In other words, there is a “knee” in the cost-benefit curve and beyond that point doubling from 100kWh results in much less than double the range. The physics makes sense, the Hummer design does not.

·
Registered
433 Posts
That is a 200kWh battery on the Hummer? Maybe someone could dig this up but I saw a study somewhere that found, at present energy densities, ev design becomes increasingly sub-optimal beyond 70-100kWh. In other words, there is a “knee” in the cost-benefit curve and beyond that point doubling from 100kWh results in much less than double the range. The physics makes sense, the Hummer design does not.
According to the EPA results it has 212.8 kWh usable with 329 miles of range.

·
Registered
Red/Black R1T Adventure, max pack, off-road, 22 Sports.
71 Posts
I was under the impression that GM only sold 26 EVs last quarter and that they had initially planned to make only 3,800 Hummers this year but just last week announced a higher goal of 23k for the year. Aside from the staged photos from the factory, is there evidence that GM is making Hummers at a decent clip? Legitimately asking, because that would be great news if true.
And, supposedly, 1 of those 26 EVs was a Hummer. One sold - what else needs to be said to that? So much for "leading" the way with EVs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts