Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yeah. Since Rivian is executing this basically after Tesla's process it will be superior. OnStar is by subscription and very costly, and often involves chatting with operators if you ever actually need any service. What Rivian seems like it will do will be a far superior customer service that I guess will be just a free part of ownership! My question is, what will GM/Onstar and others do in response to Tesla and Rivian's system? If it turns out to be more economical these other traditional auto-manufacturers may have a dilemma of how to adapt their legacy system of dealerships and service centers. Cadillac is maybe a little more forward thinking in that they already asked their global dealerships to plan on adapting to an all EV Cadillac fleet or take a buyout and leave the franchise.
Last GM vehicle I had (2015 GMC Sierra Denali) included 5 years of OnStar with the vehicle purchase... that covered the entire warranty period.

So I wouldn't say that OnStar is "very costly" if all you care about is remote diagnostics for warranty purposes.

Even after OnStar sub expires, they only stop with the customer-facing notifications. GM still gets all your vehicle data.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Last GM vehicle I had (2015 GMC Sierra Denali) included 5 years of OnStar with the vehicle purchase... that covered the entire warranty period.

So I wouldn't say that OnStar is "very costly" if all you care about is remote diagnostics for warranty purposes.

Even after OnStar sub expires, they only stop with the customer-facing notifications. GM still gets all your vehicle data.
True. Onstar costs about $200 to $400 per year depending on what level. But the point is that it isn't free or is only free for several years. Rivian is proposing a different business model that seems to be just part of ownership, whether the vehicle is under warranty or not.

Don't get me wrong, OnStar was such a great technology, but I think things are evolving in different ways beyond that kind of service, and I wonder if OnStar will change or stay the same.

·
Registered
485 Posts
True. Onstar costs about $200 to $400 per year depending on what level. But the point is that it isn't free or is only free for several years. Rivian is proposing a different business model that seems to be just part of ownership, whether the vehicle is under warranty or not.
We don't really know that, yet. Many people thought the same of Tesla, but they've moved towards charging for connectivity.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We don't really know that, yet. Many people thought the same of Tesla, but they've moved towards charging for connectivity.
Well, connectivity is sort of a separate topic. I think here I was following the thread of vehicle service. But yeah, I know OnStar does bundle some of that together I think.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Rivian has not announced any info about subscriptions or related costs, not sure I would assume anything is absolutely free. OnStar also includes roadside assistance, even after the warranty expires, so to me the price I pay is worth it ($200). AAA is slightly cheaper, but does not have the connectivity.

·
Registered
485 Posts
How about if Rivian doesn't charge the first owner but does with everyone after that?
I personally find that strategy to be really annoying.

Hyunda/Kia do that with their warranty; the famous "10yr/100k" powertrain warranty only applies to the first owner. If the vehicle is sold then the second and subsequent owners only get 5yr/60k for warranty. The cynical part of my brain views that as Hyunda/Kia offering a big warranty for marketing purposes to drive sales. Someone bites and buys a new vehicle. The vehicle is then SO unreliable that, despite the warranty, they sell it just to keep their sanity. Hyundai/Kia don't honor the warranty for second buyer, so they're off the hook for the costs and effectively the 10yr/100k was just a marketing gimmick.

I understand that some people are quite happy with Hyundai/Kia. I understand that Consumer Reports shows them as massively-improved, over the last ~10 years. I'm not trying to get into an argument over that... I'm simply using it as an example of my perception of the odd choice to offer different coverage to the first owner compared to future owners.

Edit:

If the scope of discussion is limited only to the "subscription" for cloud connectivity, then there is a workaround that I would consider acceptable:

Don't link the subscription to the "vehicle", but rather to the "user". Then, any user account who maintained a reservation (prior to launch) to completion could have a special "Launch Edition" subscription plan (or call it something else, if you want, because the user wouldn't have to take an LE delivery). This may seem similar, but there are differences. For example, if a LE subscriber acquires another Rivian, their LE subscription would apply when they log into their profile in the vehicle.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Going through their site they really tick off all the boxes for me.

Remote diagnosis
Automatic OTA updates
Mobile service vans
Vehicle pickup to service centers
Comprehensive app

I like the idea of them being able to work on the vehicle without you being there. For those with busy schedules and other priorities it can be really helpful.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts