Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
233 Posts
Yes, we all know that smaller lighter vehicles will use less fuel than bigger and heavier ones. Does not matter whether it is gas, diesel or electrons. You should add a column for vehicle weight and you will clearly see the relationship.

It all depends on what your use case is. The F150, Hummer and upcoming Silverado will all have bigger truck beds than Rivian, so should we state those blow Rivian out of the water? Silverado and Hummer will also have Multipro tailgate, very useful in my opinion. F150 has V2H, not important to me, but it is to others.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this chart doesn't tell me anything .. especially since none of us have any data about Rivian's efficiency, charging capabilities, etc .. all the comparisons are so vague.
you are correct. This was an exercise in trying to normalize range. MPG has become the standard in ICE however I am not sure how to standardized EVs. Charging will become another calculation that I am not sure if that can be normalized either. We are in the infancy of EV adoption and things will only get better over time.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR / 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
115 Posts
you are correct. This was an exercise in trying to normalize range. MPG has become the standard in ICE however I am not sure how to standardized EVs. Charging will become another calculation that I am not sure if that can be normalized either. We are in the infancy of EV adoption and things will only get better over time.
The EPA likes using MPGe which is the most asinine metric (based on the assumption that a gallon of gasoline is approx. 33.7 kWh of energy). No one is comparing MPGe of an EV to MPG for an ICE and no one is using that to figure out what consumption they get. The two most logical would be miles/kWh and Wh/mile. I prefer Wh/mile but can see miles/kWh becoming the norm as the higher the better similar to MPG (unlike Wh/mile where, like golf, the lower the better). The Monroney sticker does show kWh/100 miles but it is much smaller than the MPGe figure.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
Agree with @TT97 on utilization metric. I don’t really care whether it’s miles/kWH or Wh/ mile, it just hope the industry standardizes on one and is consistent in how it’s determined. This corresponds well to mpg ratings on ICE.

The other relevant metric is the battery capacity which seemed to be standardizing on kWh, but now the industry seems to be moving away from that and just stating rated miles. I’d prefer the actual kWh size which can’t be manipulated. When combined with the utilization metric, it’s pretty easy to calculate capacity in miles. The essentially corresponds to haw many gallons of gas your ICE can hold, but it’s a more important metric for EV’s since changing infrastructure is currently much more sparse than gas stations.

The final metric, which doesn’t really have a useful equivalent in ICE is charging speed. It would be similar to how fast you can fill your gas tank, but since gas pumps don’t have much variability in how fast they pump gas and it only takes a couple of minutes to completely fill your tank, no one really cares. Opposite is true for EV’s - it’s a hugely important factor due to the variability and how long it takes. Here as well, the industry seems to want to measure this in Mike’s added per minute of charge. I’d prefer the auto manufacturer just state the max kW rating the car can accept and some curve info, and the charging companies also state the max kW for each charger they maintain.

Reactions: TT97

·
Registered
110 Posts
The hummer EV SUV only has a range of 300 miles, the pick-up is 350 miles, if I'm not mistaken...that'd figure in here and make the Rivian look even that much better. Plus, the Rivian is about 6 inches longer and I'm all for the larger vehicle!

·
Registered
233 Posts
The hummer EV SUV only has a range of 300 miles, the pick-up is 350 miles, if I'm not mistaken...that'd figure in here and make the Rivian look even that much better. Plus, the Rivian is about 6 inches longer and I'm all for the larger vehicle!
The Hummer SUV has a smaller battery pack, ~165KWh, due to the shorter wheelbase. Same situation as Rivian, R1T versus R1S.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The R1T has a 400 mile range with the mega pack and the R1S will have the same option in a few months....
Actually, no they have not confirmed a 400 mile pack as of yet, they have only indicated "additional range". With the shorter wheelbase they have a fit issue for the MaxPack, at least as defined for the R1T.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Actually, no they have not confirmed a 400 mile pack as of yet, they have only indicated "additional range". With the shorter wheelbase they have a fit issue for the MaxPack, at least as defined for the R1T.
I spoke with them about a month ago and they did confirm to me that a 400 mile range battery will be made available for the R1S...this is directly from them, unless something has changed in the last month?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.