Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Electric Vehicle Company Locates Major Facility Off Eastern Avenue
by Record Staff • May 20, 2021 • 0 Comments

A California company has purchased a property at 25 Griffin Way for the purpose of repairing and preparing Electric Vehicles (EV) for customers in the Boston area, said a spokeswoman for Rivian EVs that appeared at the City Council on Monday.
Angie Krauss, of San Francisco, told the Council Rivian makes electric adventure vehicles and currently has three vehicles on the market, including an RPV, a pick-up truck and an SUV. Their mission is to promote healthy living and sustainability through exploring the world responsibly.
The company wishes to locate a service location and delivery prep location for Rivian customer, and is looking to inhabit about 27,000 sq. ft. of space on 25 Griffin Way.

“These are not hybrid vehicles,” she said. “This is all-electric so there are no combustion engines. The services provided at the location would be windshield wiper repair, windshields, door handles, taillight repair and other services, but not painting.”
She said there would also be space for pre-delivery quality control inspection prior to new vehicle delivery to customers.
The building owner, Mila Farahani, rose in support of the measure, and WECO Group, which makes electric motors at the location, requested that the Council look at changing the zoning ordinance to allow the activity there. Those changes would define the use of EV prep and repair in the zoning code and also insert it as allowed by Special Permit only in the Industrial District.
This would be Rivian’s first location on the East Coast, with the closest location to Chelsea now being in Normal, IL.
According to the website, Rivian is “a network of offices, test labs, experience centers, service centers, charging stations and manufacturing sites, all interconnected by thousands of employees. Our 2028 net-zero commitment requires us to fully understand the carbon intensity of our suppliers and service providers as well as our own operations. This accurate carbon accounting is being used to drive our decisions and actions – from working on more sustainable raw material supply to aggressively managing our waste generation. Achieving carbon neutrality requires us to examine every aspect of our business.”
The company indicated it would have its first full year of manufacturing in 2022.
“The scale of the challenge is enormous, but we’re lucky to be a part of this — to be able to help solve how we shift our planet’s energy and transportation systems entirely away from fossil fuel,” said Rivian Founder and CEO RJ Scaringe on the company website.
The Council moved the matter to a Committee on Conference.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This struck me as interesting in the above article: "
"The services provided at the location would be windshield wiper repair, windshields, door handles, taillight repair and other services"
She said "there would also be space for pre-delivery quality control inspection prior to new vehicle delivery to customers".
This leads me to believe that in locations without a Rivian Adventure Center (BOSTON), or whatever they are calling the retail-type showrooms, they will set up nodes like this to prepare for in-person deliveries, and to serve the dual function of satellite service stations covering geo's like New England, for example. At least that is how I would interpret this.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
This struck me as interesting in the above article: "
"The services provided at the location would be windshield wiper repair, windshields, door handles, taillight repair and other services"
She said "there would also be space for pre-delivery quality control inspection prior to new vehicle delivery to customers".
This leads me to believe that in locations without a Rivian Adventure Center (BOSTON), or whatever they are calling the retail-type showrooms, they will set up nodes like this to prepare for in-person deliveries, and to serve the dual function of satellite service stations covering geo's like New England, for example. At least that is how I would interpret this.
I was wondering if it meant we should anticipate door handle problems like Tesla has! Seems an odd list of stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Electric Vehicle Company Locates Major Facility Off Eastern Avenue
by Record Staff • May 20, 2021 • 0 Comments

A California company has purchased a property at 25 Griffin Way for the purpose of repairing and preparing Electric Vehicles (EV) for customers in the Boston area, said a spokeswoman for Rivian EVs that appeared at the City Council on Monday.
Angie Krauss, of San Francisco, told the Council Rivian makes electric adventure vehicles and currently has three vehicles on the market, including an RPV, a pick-up truck and an SUV. Their mission is to promote healthy living and sustainability through exploring the world responsibly.
The company wishes to locate a service location and delivery prep location for Rivian customer, and is looking to inhabit about 27,000 sq. ft. of space on 25 Griffin Way.

“These are not hybrid vehicles,” she said. “This is all-electric so there are no combustion engines. The services provided at the location would be windshield wiper repair, windshields, door handles, taillight repair and other services, but not painting.”
She said there would also be space for pre-delivery quality control inspection prior to new vehicle delivery to customers.
The building owner, Mila Farahani, rose in support of the measure, and WECO Group, which makes electric motors at the location, requested that the Council look at changing the zoning ordinance to allow the activity there. Those changes would define the use of EV prep and repair in the zoning code and also insert it as allowed by Special Permit only in the Industrial District.
This would be Rivian’s first location on the East Coast, with the closest location to Chelsea now being in Normal, IL.
According to the website, Rivian is “a network of offices, test labs, experience centers, service centers, charging stations and manufacturing sites, all interconnected by thousands of employees. Our 2028 net-zero commitment requires us to fully understand the carbon intensity of our suppliers and service providers as well as our own operations. This accurate carbon accounting is being used to drive our decisions and actions – from working on more sustainable raw material supply to aggressively managing our waste generation. Achieving carbon neutrality requires us to examine every aspect of our business.”
The company indicated it would have its first full year of manufacturing in 2022.
“The scale of the challenge is enormous, but we’re lucky to be a part of this — to be able to help solve how we shift our planet’s energy and transportation systems entirely away from fossil fuel,” said Rivian Founder and CEO RJ Scaringe on the company website.
The Council moved the matter to a Committee on Conference.
Does that mean i can test drive one here? When do the test drives begin?!?!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Um no, or very doubtful... That location would not be a customer facing one, or an Adventure Center - particularly given its industrial setting. More likely, if you broke down somewhere within a radius of the facility, your truck would likely be picked up then arrive there via flatbed to get issues resolved. If you order a new Rivian, sounds like they would do final delivery prep from that location to hit the same radius for new customer deliveries

·
Registered
87 Posts
When you don't have to do standard engine and transmission maintenance I guess you gotta stretch the services you can do lol. But door handles did seem a bit odd to me.
I did notice on one of the R1T spotting threads— an R1T and R1S in Death Valley, if I remember correctly— that the S had a missing charge port door…🧐

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had a 2-hour flight delay leaving Logan last night, so stopped by the Rivian Service Center on my way in to check on progress there. Last time i drove by, the electricians were in. This time the demo crew was finishing up their work and clearing the interior space out, in advance of a likely new floor. Still a long way to go based upon my view into the garage bay doors. The exterior is clean, paved and painted with plenty of parking. Given that it is a service center, I would imagine that (once the floor is poured/cured) they can then bring-in all the service center equipment, lifts, chargers, etc. Once the floor is set, progress should be pretty quick I would imagine. I have a lot of travel coming up, so I am going to keep marking progress (hopefully)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice, fun to get an update. I had thoughts about trying to drive by the location some time, but I'm like 15 miles away and Chelsea isn't exactly easy to get to from metro west, and it's also not that important to me right now. Either way, love to hear there's progress. I imagine we won't see deliveries out this way until that place is finished.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.