Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
With all the EVSE's we can use, is anyone here NOT going with WallBox?
Wallbox is not on my my short list — unless Rivian parters with them, then I’ll consider it.

Right now I’m between the Chargepoint Home Flex, and the OpenEVSE Advanced. (Leaning heavily towards Chargepoint Home Flex, however).

·
Registered
917 Posts
Wallbox is not on my my short list — unless Rivian parters with them, then I’ll consider it.

Right now I’m between the Chargepoint Home Flex, and the OpenEVSE Advanced. (Leaning heavily towards Chargepoint Home Flex, however).
Have a Siemens installed.
What are the specifics of the charging setups you guys have/are after? I know amperage can vary and even requires upgrading your homes electrical circuit if you want the best of what Level 2 charging has to offer.

·
Registered
240 Posts
What are the specifics of the charging setups you guys have/are after? I know amperage can vary and even requires upgrading your homes electrical circuit if you want the best of what Level 2 charging has to offer.
I will be hardwiring my EVSE and going with at least a 60A circuit so I can get the full 48A charging. For a single EVSE, I have enough capacity in my current load center to add a new 60A circuit. The load center is in the garage, so adding the circuit is straightforward.

Looking towards the future, however, I may want capacity for a second 48A EVSE for my wife or an electric motorcycle. I’m debating whether load balancing will work for us, or if I need to upgrade my load center from 200A service to 400A service.

If I go with a load-balanced setup — which my preferred ChargePoint Home Flex doesn’t seem to support — I’ll probably go with the OpenEVSE. My concern with load balancing is would it give both of us enough range all the time? Probably, but it’s a concern, nonetheless.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I will be hardwiring my EVSE and going with at least a 60A circuit so I can get the full 48A charging. For a single EVSE, I have enough capacity in my current load center to add a new 60A circuit. The load center is in the garage, so adding the circuit is straightforward.

Looking towards the future, however, I may want capacity for a second 48A EVSE for my wife or an electric motorcycle. I’m debating whether load balancing will work for us, or if I need to upgrade my load center from 200A service to 400A service.

If I go with a load-balanced setup — which my preferred ChargePoint Home Flex doesn’t seem to support — I’ll probably go with the OpenEVSE. My concern with load balancing is would it give both of us enough range all the time? Probably, but it’s a concern, nonetheless.
That dual EV charging setup should be interesting when its all setup. Even though she has an electric motorcycle, will you be building it out to possibly take on another electric car? Future proofing it that way is always a good thing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That dual EV charging setup should be interesting when its all setup. Even though she has an electric motorcycle, will you be building it out to possibly take on another electric car? Future proofing it that way is always a good thing.
The motorcycle would be mine. I have a couple gas-powered motorcycles... But I’d seriously consider going electric for my next one.

I can share one charger between the Rivian and the motorcycle.

The second charger would primarily be for my wife when she get’s an electric vehicle. I think my household is done buying gas-powered vehicles. The electric options are better for most days, and good enough for the rest.

·
Registered
30 Posts

New to the product. Can you shine some light on what’s steering your decision?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
240 Posts
New to the product. Can you shine some light on what’s steering your decision?
Same as any other moderate-priced purchase decision, for me. I look at all the players in the space and then determine what features matter to me, and who delivers them. I'll narrow the offerings down to 2-4 and then I compare them against each other, in detail.

Things I knew I wanted were:
  1. 48A charging
  2. Hardwired preferable
  3. LOOKS good
  4. Has a sensible solution for cord management
  5. Flexible but durable cord
  6. quality J1772 connector
  7. Minimum 21 ft length (25ft best)
  8. Relatively small packaging
  9. Good warranty
  10. UL-listed
  11. Load balancing a plus
  12. Reputable brand
I originally narrowed it down to the ChargePoint Home Flex, Juicebox, and OpenEVSE. If I was looking at a Tesla vehicle, I'd get the Tesla EVSE, but since I'm not, I'm not considering it. I would choose the OpenEVSE and be done with it, except that it's not UL-listed. Upon more detailed comparison, the Juicebox didn't really have any stand-out features to put it above the others, so I'm down to the Home Flex and the OpenEVSE.

I'm leaning towards the ChargePoint Home Flex based on the UL-listing and superior cord management. (I wish they'd implement load sharing and then it'd be a slam-dunk product, imo).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same as any other moderate-priced purchase decision, for me. I look at all the players in the space and then determine what features matter to me, and who delivers them. I'll narrow the offerings down to 2-4 and then I compare them against each other, in detail.

Things I knew I wanted were:
  1. 48A charging
  2. Hardwired preferable
  3. LOOKS good
  4. Has a sensible solution for cord management
  5. Flexible but durable cord
  6. quality J1772 connector
  7. Minimum 21 ft length (25ft best)
  8. Relatively small packaging
  9. Good warranty
  10. UL-listed
  11. Load balancing a plus
  12. Reputable brand
I originally narrowed it down to the ChargePoint Home Flex, Juicebox, and OpenEVSE. If I was looking at a Tesla vehicle, I'd get the Tesla EVSE, but since I'm not, I'm not considering it. I would choose the OpenEVSE and be done with it, except that it's not UL-listed. Upon more detailed comparison, the Juicebox didn't really have any stand-out features to put it above the others, so I'm down to the Home Flex and the OpenEVSE.

I'm leaning towards the ChargePoint Home Flex based on the UL-listing and superior cord management. (I wish they'd implement load sharing and then it'd be a slam-dunk product, imo).
Thanks! This is great!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts