Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rivian has filed a patent with the USPTO for a backup battery pack that can be detached and charged separately from the main pack.

I've attached the full PDF below.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
With today's rapid fast charging, would anyone here actually use this? Could someone explain more a good use case for this? I'm fine with 300kW charging

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With today's rapid fast charging, would anyone here actually use this? Could someone explain more a good use case for this? I'm fine with 300kW charging
It would be good for emergency situations if you're running out of range or on a long trip.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rivian has filed a patent with the USPTO for a backup battery pack that can be detached and charged separately from the main pack.

View attachment 824 View attachment 825 View attachment 826 View attachment 827 View attachment 828 View attachment 829 View attachment 830 View attachment 831 View attachment 832

View attachment 824 View attachment 825 View attachment 826 View attachment 827 View attachment 828 View attachment 829 View attachment 830 View attachment 831 View attachment 832
That was one of my questions answered wish there was a better way to see all of the post here. But so glad this could be reality!!! I heart ❤ this idea! Hope it’s more than 100 miles though...

·
Registered
18 Posts
It would be good for emergency situations if you're running out of range or on a long trip.
R99, Thanks for starting this thread and posting the patent information for the battery pack. I'm guessing the purchase of one of these batteries will be a spendy proposition. If I remember correctly, Rivian may have 41 service centers around the country. If that's the case, a rental program that would allow you to pull up and have a fully charged unit dropped into the front of the bed and connected would be great. That would help to avoid range anxiety for anyone going off the grid during vacation, or even on a long road trip. From the beginning, my interest has been in the 300-mile range R1T. Frankly, I'm glad it is the Launch Edition and not the 400-mile range version. Not only did I want to avoid the extra expense, but I like the mid-range having less weight to haul around on a daily basis. Besides, 300 miles will suffice for well over 95% of my trips. Having the option to plug some extra juice in for a long road trip would be a fantastic way to stretch the range without worry.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
R99, Thanks for starting this thread and posting the patent information for the battery pack. I'm guessing the purchase of one of these batteries will be a spendy proposition. If I remember correctly, Rivian may have 41 service centers around the country. If that's the case, a rental program that would allow you to pull up and have a fully charged unit dropped into the front of the bed and connected would be great. That would help to avoid range anxiety for anyone going off the grid during vacation, or even on a long road trip. From the beginning, my interest has been in the 300-mile range R1T. Frankly, I'm glad it is the Launch Edition and not the 400-mile range version. Not only did I want to avoid the extra expense, but I like the mid-range having less weight to haul around on a daily basis. Besides, 300 miles will suffice for well over 95% of my trips. Having the option to plug some extra juice in for a long road trip would be a fantastic way to stretch the range without worry.
No problem at all! I imagine not wanting to wait longer for the bigger battery pack helped as well with your decision.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No problem at all! I imagine not wanting to wait longer for the bigger battery pack helped as well with your decision.
Great idea. 90% of trips are short distance. If I can rent one when I do my long road trips it will be very useful. I dont have to put in extra money for larger packs for covering my 10% use case. Also more efficient carrying less weight during that 90% time and more range. I can easily opt for a lower batter pack may be 250Mles or even 200 miles.. Win Win situation for all. More optimized use of battery resources when the world might find shortages of rare metals..

Hope every manufactures follow this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
R99 Yes, I'm happy to not have to wait, but the 300-miler really is what I wanted all along. I think that the expansion of DCFC in the years to come will quell a lot of range anxiety, as would this portable extra battery.

It would be nice to have the Launch Green available for the first round of the 400-milers in January of 2022. I'm sure those shelling out extra for the 180 kW battery would love to have the same paint options available. It's not for everyone, but as the numbers posted elsewhere show, it has been the most popular selection so far. I'm guessing many people in the first wave of the Max-Pack will want it, as well.

Man! June can't come fast enough! I'll be happy to have January get here, for that matter. With everything this year has thrown at the world, I think everyone is ready for some true "2020 Hindsight".

Be well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great idea. 90% of trips are short distance. If I can rent one when I do my long road trips it will be very useful. I dont have to put in extra money for larger packs for covering my 10% use case. Also more efficient carrying less weight during that 90% time and more range. I can easily opt for a lower batter pack may be 250Mles or even 200 miles.. Win Win situation for all. More optimized use of battery resources when the world might find shortages of rare metals..

Hope every manufactures follow this.
krivian, Well stated. Your comment about rare metals is another great argument for using and carrying a rented version only when the extra range is truly needed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The patent date gives us hope too, I realize not all patents make it to production but there is several ideas here and I know I heard about this before and if they were going to scrap it they would not have waited so long to patent them. My one and only reservation is just that your battery is the life of the vehicle, it seems it’s not as easy to exchange like the Tesla so once this pack is wore out it’s curtains, or so it seems. So as much as I’m struggling and I am really struggling now that I know I “have permission” to spend for the bigger pack I hesitate to change my LE configuration. I wish but I can not see them allowing anyone to choose the 400 mile pack at LE launch. that would greatly overwhelm the numbers. They already stated in the interview they’re facing issues with supply and demand. I’m really tired of waiting though, and that removable roof would be such a useful and enjoyable option. but yet another wait, as much as I love this company my patience is growing thin... I did not even wait half as long as some of you though. September of last year I ponied up the 1k.I just hope we can get some swag for Christmas! The letter we all received stated they had things planned for us preorder group, so far it’s just an awesome drawing and a lot of promises. I have yet to see it in person. I get the feeling it will be worth the wait. Love this forum it gives me something to look forward to and there are some good people here.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The patent date gives us hope too, I realize not all patents make it to production but there is several ideas here and I know I heard about this before and if they were going to scrap it they would not have waited so long to patent them. My one and only reservation is just that your battery is the life of the vehicle, it seems it’s not as easy to exchange like the Tesla so once this pack is wore out it’s curtains, or so it seems. So as much as I’m struggling and I am really struggling now that I know I “have permission” to spend for the bigger pack I hesitate to change my LE configuration. I wish but I can not see them allowing anyone to choose the 400 mile pack at LE launch. that would greatly overwhelm the numbers. They already stated in the interview they’re facing issues with supply and demand. I’m really tired of waiting though, and that removable roof would be such a useful and enjoyable option. but yet another wait, as much as I love this company my patience is growing thin... I did not even wait half as long as some of you though. September of last year I ponied up the 1k.I just hope we can get some swag for Christmas! The letter we all received stated they had things planned for us preorder group, so far it’s just an awesome drawing and a lot of promises. I have yet to see it in person. I get the feeling it will be worth the wait. Love this forum it gives me something to look forward to and there are some good people here.
Thanks
The date is very interesting because it's not like they patented this years ago and likely ditched the idea. It seems to me like this is something they're going to bring to fruition.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts