Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello - I have noticed on some Rivian videos and in R1T and R1S images that the front wheel well splash guard has a large opening which can cause debris, pebbles, etc from the tires hit the bottom of the front door and surrounding areas.I was told by Rivian that this opening is for ventilation and airflow but have not been able to get further details.

If you watch this 2020 Rivian video and fast forward to 1 minute 25 seconds, you will see a “screen" in this opening area. Here is the video:

If you look in the attached photo I found of a R1T, I placed a red arrow showing there is no visible screen in this area. If there is a wide opening with no protective screen, I am confident the painted area around the door will get rock chips causing the paint to deteriorate. I have dealt with this topic in the past with other manufacturers and they have had solutions. Since I plan to purchase the R1S when it is ready, I would like to have a bit more information on what the final solution is. I have watched videos of the R1T and notice that this area does get a lot of debris/splatter from the front wheels. Does anyone know more about this or have an idea what the final design will be for the R1S?:unsure:

Attachments

· Registered
354 Posts
Hello - I have noticed on some Rivian videos and in R1T and R1S images that the front wheel well splash guard has a large opening which can cause debris, pebbles, etc from the tires hit the bottom of the front door and surrounding areas.I was told by Rivian that this opening is for ventilation and airflow but have not been able to get further details.

If you watch this 2020 Rivian video and fast forward to 1 minute 25 seconds, you will see a “screen" in this opening area. Here is the video:
It's to clear the trapped air in the wheel well. While the downside is this splash through the opening, one can easily block this area is so desired.

· Registered
2 Posts
I took delivery of the first R1S in Oregon where the state rocks the roads during snow season. One trip over the pass from Portland to Bend and my brand new Rivian has over 100 Scratches in the paint. I brought this to Rivian’s attention and made the obvious connection to the hole they designed into the wheel well molding/splash guard and they told me to pursue repair through my insurance. As you can imagine this soured my family’s feelings about our new car. The idea that if I want to go to Bend or Mt Hood to ski in the winter it will bring scratches to the paint on the R1S is simply ridiculous. We hope Rivian changes course on the design and their decision not to repair our car which we only drive on paved roads and highways in Oregon.
Hello - I have noticed on some Rivian videos and in R1T and R1S images that the front wheel well splash guard has a large opening which can cause debris, pebbles, etc from the tires hit the bottom of the front door and surrounding areas.I was told by Rivian that this opening is for ventilation and airflow but have not been able to get further details. If you watch this 2020 Rivian video and fast forward to 1 minute 25 seconds, you will see a “screen" in this opening area. Here is the video:
If you look in the attached photo I found of a R1T, I placed a red arrow showing there is no visible screen in this area. If there is a wide opening with no protective screen, I am confident the painted area around the door will get rock chips causing the paint to deteriorate. I have dealt with this topic in the past with other manufacturers and they have had solutions. Since I plan to purchase the R1S when it is ready, I would like to have a bit more information on what the final solution is. I have watched videos of the R1T and notice that this area does get a lot of debris/splatter from the front wheels. Does anyone know more about this or have an idea what the final design will be for the R1S?:unsure:

· Registered
65 Posts
I predict that some entreprenurial-type (maybe at tWraps) will come up with a 3D printed "plug" for this hole. My Rivian mobile tech says it's there to aid with the aerodynamics and relieve the built up pressure in the wheel well generated by the spinning tire.

· Registered
Tesla Model Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Volt, Spark EV
95 Posts
I predict that some entreprenurial-type (maybe at tWraps) will come up with a 3D printed "plug" for this hole. My Rivian mobile tech says it's there to aid with the aerodynamics and relieve the built up pressure in the wheel well generated by the spinning tire.
This opening works in concert with the air injection at the front of the well to significantly smooth the turbulence around the spinning wheel at highway speeds. Blocking either one will affect the aero of the vehicle and reduce efficiancy.

· Registered
65 Posts
This opening works in concert with the air injection at the front of the well to significantly smooth the turbulence around the spinning wheel at highway speeds. Blocking either one will affect the aero of the vehicle and reduce efficiancy.
I agree...and it's kind of like dodgers and biminis on sailboats...there are those who will make the tradeoff. :giggle:

· Vendor
66 Posts
done ✔

One customer reported after testing the Jumbo version for a while that there is no sensible difference in range or anything else related to the driving experience.

· Registered
Tesla Model Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Volt, Spark EV
95 Posts
done ✔

One customer reported after testing the Jumbo version for a while that there is no sensible difference in range or anything else related to the driving experience.
Well, who can argue with that? What a waste of time all those hours in the wind tunnel!
🤣

· Vendor
66 Posts
Well, who can argue with that? What a waste of time all those hours in the wind tunnel!
🤣
Valid point, but none of us has any meaningful data about how this affects drag. And mud flaps have other benefits (for some) too 👍
Also I’d speculate that having 50lbs of cargo at all times, that you don’t really need, will have worse effect on range than closing these holes. But again - no way to measure, I am fresh out of wind tunnels 😂

1 - 14 of 14 Posts