Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
Vehicle will pull max of 48 amps on L2 charging. Rivian wall charge is also max 48 amp. You can feed it an 85 amp circuit though, it just won’t pull that much.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
Per page 16 the installation manual, it can be used with wiring from 6 AWG 14 AWG depending on how the operating current is set.
I think he meant that’s the heaviest it will support. 85 amp circuit would require heavier wire than 6AWG.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not a bad idea to future proof the wiring now if you are installing it! Running 2 AWG copper THHN wire will get you 80 amps continuously at the charger and as noted above, just pigtail it down to 6 AWG at the terminal if you are buying the Rivian EVSE. Use a bigger wall box so you can stow the large wires and have some slack in the wall for the 2AWG for future upgrades in that case. (Can also use 1 or 1-0 AL SER which is cheaper.)

I suggest future proofing as I am sure that 80 Amp Level 2 will be the coming to Rivian in their next iteration…. This is already the standard for Ford Lightings where the Ford Charging Station Pro comes with extended range trucks that have approximately the same battery size as the standard 135Kw Rivian.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you pigtail down to 6, I think you’d need to install a breaker commensurate with 6 gage, not 2 gage. If you ever wanted to install a larger EVSE then you’d have to upgrade the breaker when you removed the pigtail, but that’s far easier than having to pull another wire run. Just my opinion, I’m not an electrician so ask yours.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you pigtail down to 6, I think you’d need to install a breaker commensurate with 6 gage, not 2 gage. If you ever wanted to install a larger EVSE then you’d have to upgrade the breaker when you removed the pigtail, but that’s far easier than having to pull another wire run. Just my opinion, I’m not an electrician so ask yours.
Yes, that is correct! Breakers protect the wire (and plug which is NA here due to requirement for hardwire) at their weakest link. Thus, 60 amp (~$15+) to protect the 6 AWG at 48 amps continuous.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts