1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
30 Posts
Whoever is on the other end of [email protected] is about to get flooded with one primary question that would have been easy to address in this blog: Is my state one of the 40?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
What's also interesting for me is that the Insurance "integrates with our connected vehicle platform and suite of safety features to bring you tailored, data-driven coverage." If you have a lead foot you're going to have to be careful. But I do like that it covers you when you go off-roading along with the tent and kitchen. It's also interesting that they'll cover other vehicles, home, boat, camper and dirt bikes.

Another thing to point out is the Driver+ rate reduction for using their Active Driving Assistance.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Insurance is real black hole - at least for me - with respect to Rivian or really any similar EV.

Should I expect that my insurance premiums will be similar to what I'm used to paying for my ICE vehicles? Or should I expect to pay more because an EV like the R1T/S is more powerful than its ICE counterpart and because insurance companies have little driver history for them? The other option - that rates would be less because of all the Rivian driver assist and safety features - seems unlikely, but I suppose exists in theory.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, do I really want my auto insurance company monitoring all of my driving habits? While I have accepted that my phone and Alexa hear everything that goes on around me and in my house, I am not sure if I want my auto insurer tracking every mile I traverse. Let's not kid ourselves and pretend the insurer's desire to monitor the driver is benevolent. On the other hand, if it is cheaper than State Farm, I may not care.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Should I expect that my insurance premiums will be similar to what I'm used to paying for my ICE vehicles? Or should I expect to pay more because an EV like the R1T/S is more powerful than its ICE counterpart and because insurance companies have little driver history for them? The other option - that rates would be less because of all the Rivian driver assist and safety features - seems unlikely, but I suppose exists in theory.
Almost certainly more expensive -- at least initially.

High initial cost
High repair cost (collision)
EV premium
Lack of familiarity at insurance and repair levels

All the factors are stacked against us, right now. I expect insurance premiums to be high through conventional insurance carriers. It'll be interesting to see what Rivian offers, direct.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well, do I really want my auto insurance company monitoring all of my driving habits? While I have accepted that my phone and Alexa hear everything that goes on around me and in my house, I am not sure if I want my auto insurer tracking every mile I traverse. Let's not kid ourselves and pretend the insurer's desire to monitor the driver is benevolent. On the other hand, if it is cheaper than State Farm, I may not care.
I couldn't agree more relative to monitoring by the Business Big Brother but unfortunately, it's becoming increasingly difficult to avoid. I hadn't really considered that a connected EV like the Rivian will allow my movements to easily be tracked - guess I'll have to rethink things . . .

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
Almost certainly more expensive -- at least initially.

High initial cost
High repair cost (collision)
EV premium
Lack of familiarity at insurance and repair levels

All the factors are stacked against us, right now. I expect insurance premiums to be high through conventional insurance carriers. It'll be interesting to see what Rivian offers, direct.
I think this is one reason why Rivian is choosing to offer their own insurance. They may have a different perspective on the safety and collision avoidance capabilities of Driver+ than traditional insurers. They also control the repairs and absorb those profits. So they likely feel they can offer lower rates and still make money on it, removing a potential barrier to folks who might get unacceptably high quotes from their existing insurer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I hadn't really considered that a connected EV like the Rivian will allow my movements to easily be tracked - guess I'll have to rethink things . . .
Whelp, you better leave your smartphone at home then... Basically your phone pinging off towers is trackable with or without your knowledge. How the data gets used is an entirely separate question. And yes, that data can be obtained via subpoena from your carrier, phone provider or services like Amazon or Google. I don't think law abiding citizens really care, as that data would never be obtained or disclosed.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Whelp, you better leave your smartphone at home then... Basically your phone pinging off towers is trackable with or without your knowledge. How the data gets used is an entirely separate question. And yes, that data can be obtained via subpoena from your carrier, phone provider or services like Amazon or Google. I don't think law abiding citizens really care, as that data would never be obtained or disclosed.
My concern is not with subpoena or search warrant obtained with probably cause. I accept that.

My concern is private companies, like Amazon, using my data for unethical purposes and without oversight. My concern is also that this data WILL be leaked (it seems to always happen) and there will be no meaningful action to hold businesses accountable for the loss.

My concern is also specific to insurance, where carriers may look for ANY reason to raise rates and increase profitability.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Believe me, I understand your concerns, but I'm weighing the REALITY of the trade-offs to "self firewall"... If you truly want to go dark, then you need to ditch your phone, your car and other "connected" devices and for me, that ain't happening any time soon. If you operate online at all (which everyone on this site is doing) you are already living with the possibility of a data leak

·
Registered
800 Posts
Believe me, I understand your concerns, but I'm weighing the REALITY of the trade-offs to "self firewall"... If you truly want to go dark, then you need to ditch your phone, your car and other "connected" devices and for me, that ain't happening any time soon. If you operate online at all (which everyone on this site is doing) you are already living with the possibility of a data leak
You're trying to apply a black-and-white filter to it, but it doesn't work that way.

I can keep my cell phone, and as long as I don't use my insurance company's app, then they're not able to track my driving habits.

Because I choose to allow some risk (Apple has my data) doesn't mean there isn't a point and value to withhold my information from others.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes, I understand this. My comment was in response to concerns that Rivian could track users, and the original Yossarian comment. Just saying that we are all "trackable" to some extent (whether the data is ever used or not). I would also prefer not to "donate" information to a provider that could make assumptions and adjust pricing. Insurance is brutal. I have never had an accident (knock on wood), but I have probably already paid enough money to cover 10 crashes! Discount rates will never be in your favor, even if you drive around with a goldfish on your roof and don't spill a drop of water.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Whoever is on the other end of [email protected] is about to get flooded with one primary question that would have been easy to address in this blog: Is my state one of the 40?
In a recent tweet about the accessories, Rivian said "Designed using our connected vehicle platform and safety suite, Rivian Insurance covers your vehicle and accessories even when you go off-road. Bundle your home, rec gear and other vehicles. Available in 40 states as we work to expand to all our markets. https://rivn.co/3e43iOW"

I guess they received a lot of questions about it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Rivian is partnering with Nationwide for its insurance program. Though there could be more companies partnering with them.

Rivian’s plans to sell insurance for its electric vehicles are now taking shape, with new details released about data-driven coverage and a partnership with established underwriter Nationwide.

Rivian already is at the forefront of electrification and autonomous driving. Now it appears to be on the leading edge of another trend—carmakers that sell insurance, too. And that carries special meaning in Bloomington-Normal, where State Farm is based and where Rivian will make its EVs.

Rivian recently announced plans to sell insurance products as part of its digital ordering process. The company says by linking insurance to the vehicle itself, it will be able to diagnose issues more quickly and comprehensively, and even remotely. And those who use Rivian’s mid-level autonomous driving tool can get discounts on their insurance rates. Customers also will be able to insure their home, recreational equipment, and other vehicles.

Rivian Insurance will be available to customers in 40 states initially; insurance is generally regulated state-by-state. The policies will be underwritten by third-party carriers. Rivian has not disclosed who they will be, but Columbus, Ohio-based Nationwide confirmed to WGLT that it’s a partner. It’s unclear if there are others.

“When customers purchase their Rivian vehicle, the company will offer customers auto insurance products underwritten by Nationwide,” a Nationwide spokesperson said in a statement. “The partnership will lead to improvements in product development and customer service experience for both companies. Rivian is a great example of a company that develops products with the best interest of the customer in mind. They are revolutionizing the electric vehicle and connected car industry, and Nationwide is proud to provide our best-in-class products and digital infrastructure to help them meet their customers’ needs.”

·
Registered
137 Posts
Still think needing the VIN is funny. I have gotten quotes from State Farm without having the VIN on a few different cars. At least one was a brand new car never produced before.
Why don't they just come out and say this is a brand new vehicle that they no clue how to quote yet. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts