Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a six month policy through Rivian when I purchased it for ease of moving through the transaction easily, also I want to support the company as much as I can. However, the policy is set to expire and I'm wondering if anyone have found a carrier that gives better rates on EV's.
I'm in California with a clean record and paying over 2k a year for the current policy.
I checked with my normal carrier, AAA, and they quoted about $1800 year.
What have you guys been paying for insurance?

· Registered
100 Posts
I got a six month policy through Rivian when I purchased it for ease of moving through the transaction easily, also I want to support the company as much as I can. However, the policy is set to expire and I'm wondering if anyone have found a carrier that gives better rates on EV's.
I'm in California with a clean record and paying over 2k a year for the current policy.
I know rates vary drastically based on location and company, but I just received my first renewal notice from Allstate for my R1T. It is now my only vehicle and since I'm retired and over 55, it's listed as used for Pleasure as opposed to Work; not sure that makes much difference. Anyway, with enhanced liability coverage of $250k/$500k/$100k as well as "new car coverage" and multi-policy discounts, the new renewal rate is $645 per 6 months. This is up a bit from when I first initiated coverage, but I had a second vehicle then (in a one-person household); the Rivian only added about $400 to the bill then. I will note that my insurance agent stated that the rates would probably eventually increase as claims experience was analyzed; he said the same thing happened with Tesla - started low but eventually skyrocketed because of the cost of claims. Given that there will be no after market parts and everything will have to be OEM, I'm sure we'll be experiencing the same thing eventually.

· Registered
9 Posts
I got my insurance through Costco and I pay a little over $300 per 6 months. I also have my home through them. It’s called Costco Connect and is affiliated with American Family Ins.

· Registered
367 Posts
I ended up switching out home & auto from Progressive to Rivian/Nationwide. One benefit was that Rivian offered a 12 month policy, so no mid-year price bump. It was only marginally less expensive than Progressive, but the overall coverage is better (OEM parts rider for one thing). The difference in price let me get an Umbrella policy through Nationwide as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts