Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rivian has set some impressive production targets.

"Sources told Bloomberg that Rivian is building annual capacity for about 300,000 electric vehicles (EVs) and aims at as many as 40,000 in its first full year — or an average of almost 800 a week. That would compare with the nearly 5,000 vehicles a week that Tesla built at its Fremont, Calif., factory in 2018 — the first full year of production for the mass-market Model 3 electric car. Rivian hasn't publicly stated its production goals.

Rivian looks to launch an electric pickup truck, the R1T and an electric SUV, the R1S, both targeting off-road explorers and adventurers. But it's really counting on electric delivery vans for guaranteed revenue, with Amazon a key customer. It has retrofitted a former Mitsubishi factory in Illinois, which made its last car six years ago.

"It's such a huge step going from producing prototypes to actually putting together a thousand vehicles a week," Mark Wakefield, an analyst at auto consultant AlixPartners, told Bloomberg. "It's hard to over-emphasize that point."

·
Registered
253 Posts
The delivery trucks are on a separate line from the rest of the factory. It's unclear if they're running R1T/R1S simultaneously or the more likely initial run of trucks followed by SUV's (explaining the June/August releases).

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The delivery trucks are on a separate line from the rest of the factory. It's unclear if they're running R1T/R1S simultaneously or the more likely initial run of trucks followed by SUV's (explaining the June/August releases).
True and although it isn't exactly clear how much this will be the R1T and R1S, its a good look at the production capacity Rivian is capable of building out. It'll be interesting to see how they keep up with R1T and R1S demand.

·
Registered
253 Posts
They committed to having 10,000 vans delivered to Amazon "by 2022," and 10,000 a year thereafter. So if "by 2022" means January 1 then their initial run will be 10,000.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They committed to having 10,000 vans delivered to Amazon "by 2022," and 10,000 a year thereafter. So if "by 2022" means January 1 then their initial run will be 10,000.
Thanks. At least now we know that a 1/4 of initial production capacity will go to van production.

·
Registered
206 Posts
(Article excerpt: )
— or an average of almost 800 a week. That would compare with the nearly 5,000 vehicles a week that Tesla built at its Fremont, Calif., factory in 2018
While it's interesting to compare these numbers for context, I like to think of it as 5800 (probably higher with Tesla's current rate) EVs displacing ICE vehicles each week (eventually when delivered).

·
Registered
18 Posts
This all makes perfect sense. The Model 3 was supposed to appeal to a rather large audience, particularly those in the 35-60k price range. This is considerably higher priced, so their audience will be smaller. I would be curious to know how many pre-orders are in queue right now, though, considering the Cybertruck has like 500k and is nearly the cost of these. But it seems like the CT is going to be more utility/work focused while these are a bit more lifestyle/luxury focused.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
This all makes perfect sense. The Model 3 was supposed to appeal to a rather large audience, particularly those in the 35-60k price range. This is considerably higher priced, so their audience will be smaller. I would be curious to know how many pre-orders are in queue right now, though, considering the Cybertruck has like 500k and is nearly the cost of these. But it seems like the CT is going to be more utility/work focused while these are a bit more lifestyle/luxury focused.
$100 vs. $1,000 deposit makes a big difference with preorders. I predict CT will have a much lower conversion rate than Rivian. I’ve got a CT reserved with no intention of buying one. If Tesla had $1,000 of my money, I would have cancelled months ago. But at $100, I just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm sure a lot of interest in the Cybertruck is at the lower-cost end. It seems like a value at $40,000 but it's unlikely that we'll see those until later in the production cycle. Also the $100 reservation cost isn't really much of a commitment.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've got a CT reservation I won't be taking to fruition. I put a reservation down on pretty much any EV I would even remotely consider picking up. I would imagine there's a significant number of reservations that are similar.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tesla did also break the internet with the Cybertruck debut and only requires a $100 deposit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Makes you wonder where Rivian's loyalty lies? With us the consumer, or Amazon their benefactor?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Makes you wonder where Rivian's loyalty lies? With us the consumer, or Amazon their benefactor?
Two separate lines and separate personnel. Their loyalties lie with following through on commitments. A 100,000 vehicle order should never be sneezed at, especially for a start-up. If they actually reached the 40,000 estimate for first year, only 25% of that will be vans.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Doesn't make me wonder at all. Amazon is a consumer in this sense just like we are, they just got an advanced opportunity to invest before the rest of us. Rivian giving hundreds of millions, if not billions, of potential customers the middle finger in favor of servicing Amazon would be an incredibly short-sighted move. Every Amazon delivery vehicle combined still falls well short of the potential for consumer sales.

Rivian has proven time and again that they're not foolish or making rash decisions.

·
Registered
88 Posts
While Amazon has an investment stake in the company, their order of 100,000 makes them a customer. I want Rivian to have good cash flows and to become successful. Getting a huge fleet deal so early means great things for the long-term health of the company. It also means they'll be around long enough to service our warranties.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
While Amazon has an investment stake in the company, their order of 100,000 makes them a customer. I want Rivian to have good cash flows and to become successful. Getting a huge fleet deal so early means great things for the long-term health of the company. It also means they'll be around long enough to service our warranties.
Well said. The capacity outlined here also seems to indicate they won't be giving special priority going forward, but who knows.
It also helps that Amazon Vans are already out there.

·
Registered
214 Posts
In my opinion both and a crummy viewpoint

The road to self driving seems to be "experience" by the system
(Do wish they kept lidar)
Now when recording that experience the company has to deal with the consumer privacy
One reason some have said they don't want a Tesla
Now we have a fleet of 100k that not only are going unique routes daily (some if not most Teslas do the same thing over and over) but the owner WANTS TO KNOW EVERYTHING that happens with that vehicle
The information coming from the Amazon fleet will be unmatched by any teslas as of now
So keep that in mind instead of such gloomy thoughts
Also because of AMAZON the price has dropped I was prepared to pay $25k more than what the price is now
YES WE MAY HAVE BEEN DELAYED A BIT
But if you look at the intelligence of RJ and the team this is so great for us
Just saying
Is it JUNE yet

·
Registered
214 Posts
And another thing RJ wants to better the planet that's his goal
Getting 100k "necessary" ICE vehicles off the road must make him super happy
Yes I am a fanboy
I met him and his enthusiasm and passion is contagious
Think about it he is the first to bring us useful vehicles
(My opinion cars are useless)
Elon has done amazing things for us but with all his capabilities he is not producing a truly useful vehicle
RJ saw that (his original was a sports car)
I am proud of him and so happy he is building my dream
Wish I could contribute
Rant over
Is it June yet

·
Registered
17 Posts
In my opinion both and a crummy viewpoint

The road to self driving seems to be "experience" by the system
(Do wish they kept lidar)
Now when recording that experience the company has to deal with the consumer privacy
One reason some have said they don't want a Tesla
Now we have a fleet of 100k that not only are going unique routes daily (some if not most Teslas do the same thing over and over) but the owner WANTS TO KNOW EVERYTHING that happens with that vehicle
The information coming from the Amazon fleet will be unmatched by any teslas as of now
So keep that in mind instead of such gloomy thoughts
Also because of AMAZON the price has dropped I was prepared to pay $25k more than what the price is now
YES WE MAY HAVE BEEN DELAYED A BIT
But if you look at the intelligence of RJ and the team this is so great for us
Just saying
Is it JUNE yet
You say "The information coming from the Amazon fleet will be unmatched by any teslas as of now" Keep dreaming, the hundreds of thousand Teslas out there gather orders of magnitude more information than the few Amazon trucks out there, even if they had all 100,000 of them running around.

·
Registered
17 Posts
$100 vs. $1,000 deposit makes a big difference with preorders. I predict CT will have a much lower conversion rate than Rivian. I’ve got a CT reserved with no intention of buying one. If Tesla had $1,000 of my money, I would have cancelled months ago. But at $100, I just haven’t gotten around to it yet.
Yeah me too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts