Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
no one said to "shut up".. All I said was this is a giant waste of time until we actually get ALL of the info from Rivian .
When you constantly tell someone that voicing their opinion is a "giant waste of time" you are effectively telling them to "shut up". What I'm trying to say is I don't appreciate you trying to stifle my communication. If someone is spreading misinformation or threatening violence then they should be told to stop... But I don't think we should be telling potential customers that it is a "giant waste of time" any time they try to share their opinion about a product they intend to buy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
When you constantly tell someone that voicing their opinion is a "giant waste of time" you are effectively telling them to "shut up". What I'm trying to say is I don't appreciate you trying to stifle my communication. If someone is spreading misinformation or threatening violence then they should be told to stop... But I don't think we should be telling potential customers that it is a "giant waste of time" any time they try to share their opinion about a product they intend to buy.
dial back the drama factor by like 10... no one, incl. me is stifling your coms.. Let me be clear: I don't work for Rivian, so me telling you and other posters, here in this forum, that your "what if" posts here are a giant waste of time vs waiting until Rivian fully unveils ALL details.. will not in any way change your mind on buying the car or not. You do you, you buy what you want. If you can't handle some pushback from me, which has been nothing but cordial, then you may want to revisit your persona. Rivian will be either an option for you or it won't. It will fit your lifestyle or it doesn't. This is my last reply to this thread, I made myself head that these "what if, has to have, i know better, needs to" posts are a giant waste of time on this forum until Rivian has released all details, options and accessories for the R1T and R1S. After that, all of you can have it and complain, and post "know it all" posts. There is not 1 gen1 car out there that has everything. Peace out!

·
Registered
406 Posts
In the latest video shared by RJ Scaringe on Twitter you can hear him say that Rivian is working on drift mode as one of their "fun" driving modes!

If they're working on this who knows what else is up their sleeves for these fun driving modes.

I'm curious if Ford is helping out with this drift mode at all since they had one with the Focus RS.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
141 Posts
@Ladiver, @PuddleMonkey and @CommodoreAmiga, let’s get this back on track. Everyone’s opinions are welcome, unless they are opinions about another member. Numerous folks on here share the frustration with the lack of information and removal of certain previously communicated features, and it’s completely acceptable to express those concerns on this forum whether they will actually change anything or not.

Carry on...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Everyone’s opinions are welcome, unless they are opinions about another member. Numerous folks on here share the frustration with the lack of information and removal of certain previously communicated features, and it’s completely acceptable to express those concerns on this forum whether they will actually change anything or not.
thank you.

I wonder if we'll get several different traction programs or if we'll also be able to turn traction control OFF? I don't know if that's even possible with an EV.

·
Super Moderator
141 Posts
thank you.

I wonder if we'll get several different traction programs or if we'll also be able to turn traction control OFF? I don't know if that's even possible with an EV.
I was wondering something similar with a “diff locker” mode to appease those of us used to manually locking the differentials before entering places we know will have traction problems. Many would suggest the computer does a better job maintaining traction than locking the wheels together, but old habits die hard!

·
Registered
33 Posts
thank you.

That will be interesting. Turning traction control off with all that torque and power would be one of my "Fun Modes"! I know it is in my Corvette Z06. :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
That will be interesting. Turning traction control off with all that torque and power would be one of my "Fun Modes"! I know it is in my Corvette Z06. :)
indeed!

I hope there is a "burnout" mode that can disable the front motors and remove traction control and torque-limiting on the rear motors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why does everyone say this? I would be surprised if Rivian gave Amazon a controlling interest. Lots of vehicles support Alexa AND CarPlay.
Regardless of overall controlling interest, I would not be surprised at all if one of the terms of the agreement between Amazon and Rivian is that Alexa is the head end platform core and they would not allow CarPlay or Auto.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Regardless of overall controlling interest, I would not be surprised at all if one of the terms of the agreement between Amazon and Rivian is that Alexa is the head end platform core and they would not allow CarPlay or Auto.
No other auto manufacturer has made that agreement. If Rivian did, then that was foolish, imo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No other auto manufacturer has made that agreement. If Rivian did, then that was foolish, imo.
Actually Tesla did it. I bought a Y while I wait for my R1S and Tesla has a walled garden approach now for all Ys and 3s. They've let Spotify in but that's it (and their Spotify app is really bad). They have their own proprietary map app and their own music streaming app - both are sub par but I doubt they care right now. They also don't allow XM. I can stream it through my phone but that's a total pain so I don't use it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Actually Tesla did it. I bought a Y while I wait for my R1S and Tesla has a walled garden approach now for all Ys and 3s. They've let Spotify in but that's it (and their Spotify app is really bad). They have their own proprietary map app and their own music streaming app - both are sub par but I doubt they care right now. They also don't allow XM. I can stream it through my phone but that's a total pain so I don't use it.
Tesla may have chosen a walled-garden approach, but they didn't do so out of any contractual obligation to Amazon. When I said "no other auto manufacturer made that agreement" I meant that literally -- no other manufacturer has signed a contract with Amazon that would prohibit CarPlay.

·
Super Moderator
141 Posts
Tesla may have chosen a walled-garden approach, but they didn't do so out of any contractual obligation to Amazon. When I said "no other auto manufacturer made that agreement" I meant that literally -- no other manufacturer has signed a contract with Amazon that would prohibit CarPlay.
Nor has any other auto manufacturer taken a billion dollars in capital from Amazon and inked a contract to sell them 100,000 delivery vans. “Quid pro quo” has gotten a bad rap in recent politics, but it’s actually a real and legitimate thing in the business world. I would not be surprised if there was an agreement, contractual or otherwise, between Amazon and Rivian as part of that larger business partnership.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nor has any other auto manufacturer taken a billion dollars in capital from Amazon and inked a contract to sell them 100,000 delivery vans. “Quid pro quo” has gotten a bad rap in recent politics, but it’s actually a real and legitimate thing in the business world. I would not be surprised if there was an agreement, contractual or otherwise, between Amazon and Rivian as part of that larger business partnership.
I still don’t understand how this benefits Rivian, or Amazon. Amazon doesn’t even have anything that competes with CarPlay.

It’s anti-consumer with zero business upside.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I hear about Rivian developing anything at this point with the Launch edition scheduled for sale in as little as 3 months I must assume it will be down the line some. Makes me want to wait a little before buying if very many things haven't been developed yet. This car might get a lot better in a year or two.

·
Registered
233 Posts
When I hear about Rivian developing anything at this point with the Launch edition scheduled for sale in as little as 3 months I must assume it will be down the line some. Makes me want to wait a little before buying if very many things haven't been developed yet. This car might get a lot better in a year or two.
The "modes" are entirely software based. Rivian can release frequent OTA updates. It's highly unlikely that the software for the first deliveries has been finalized, yet. And once they do load the software, there may be an update available before you even take possession.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Got to love how much color and detail went into the center touchscreen.
I wonder if it will do anything special in the "fun driving modes" because the experience it could provide it will sure beat just turning some dial.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts