Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ouch….my adventure R1S just went up Almost $15k in price. Rivian just announced price hikes which are accross the board. If you want the quad motor it’ll cost you an extra $12k, Ocean coast interior $2k, etc. and for the privilege of a downsized battery and only 2 motors $2.5k more than originally spec’d.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I cancelled my pre-order. I'm beyond disappointed. this feels like a bad breakup. I've been a Rivian champion for over a year (while they've held on to my $1,000 that I will not be getting interest on when they refund it) and they go and do this to me? Talk shit about Tesla all you want, but at least the price I reserved my Model 3 for was locked in for me, despite price increases coming before I took delivery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I heard rumors that there might be a 2 motor option and a smaller battery option I thought “great, if I go with those I can get my R1S for less than my current quad motor, large pack”. But wait, I now will be paying more for less? That’s just bad business.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Here's what one publication reported:

Rivian Launches 600-HP Dual-Motor R1S and R1T, Raises Quad-Motor Pricing
"Aside from the motor and battery setups, it seems that the new variants are identical to the existing models in terms of styling and features. Rivian says deliveries of the dual-motor R1S and R1T will commence in 2024, with the Standard battery pack versions coming in the summer specifically. The dual-motor R1T with the Standard battery will start at $68,575 including destination, the same price as the outgoing quad-motor model, and the R1S with the Standard battery is $73,575. Upgrading to the Large pack costs $6,000 for both dual-motor models, while the Max pack is $16,000 for the dual-motor R1T. As part of this lineup update the price for both the quad-motor R1S and R1T are increasing by $12,000, putting the R1T at $80,575 and the R1S at $85,575. (The Max pack is also $16,000 for the quad-motor R1T.) Rivian says this price increase will apply to the majority of existing preorder holders, except for those who are already in the final steps of getting ready to take delivery."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Agreed. I've been on the waitlist for well over a year (I know a lot of you have been there even longer). I've convinced several friends as well.

I just don't believe that they didn't know this was coming a LONG time ago. These people are logistics experts (that's a huge part of what an auto manufacturer does). There is no way they were surprised and just, one day, came and said "Hey, we need to raise our price by almost 20%". If it was, I hope a lot of people are losing their jobs over it.

It's really disappointing and feels disingenuous and "bait-and-switchy" to me. I've been bought into Rivian for a long time but this tells me that they are either very bad at running a car manufacturer or they've been planning on doing this for a long time. I'm not sure which is worse.

·
Registered
15 MS 70D, Chevy Bolt, Yamaha T700
16 Posts
Agreed. I've been on the waitlist for well over a year (I know a lot of you have been there even longer). I've convinced several friends as well.

I just don't believe that they didn't know this was coming a LONG time ago. These people are logistics experts (that's a huge part of what an auto manufacturer does). There is no way they were surprised and just, one day, came and said "Hey, we need to raise our price by almost 20%". If it was, I hope a lot of people are losing their jobs over it.

It's really disappointing and feels disingenuous and "bait-and-switchy" to me. I've been bought into Rivian for a long time but this tells me that they are either very bad at running a car manufacturer or they've been planning on doing this for a long time. I'm not sure which is worse.
Not sure how long they knew, but it should have been clear early last year that the supply chain/shipping issues weren't clearing up anytime soon. I follow maritime shipping very closely and that part of the problem won't clear up until the end of this year although I think it will slowly begin to ease barring further disruptions (which is by no means guaranteed). Rivian has not been good at communication and dumping such a drastic price increase just as vehicles are starting to be delivered smells really bad. If I were an early reservation holder, I would have an awful taste in my mouth. As a late reservation holder, I wasn't confident I would get the truck at the price I reserved at, but I wouldn't have guessed such a drastic increase all at once. I'll keep my reservation until I have to choose, but am very likely to go another direction.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Add me to the list of " For sure i am out ". I reserved because of 0-60mph in 3 sec and with 300+mi range......................now i only get 260+mi range and 0-60mph in 4 sec. My price went from $74K to $87K! And i have to wait till sometime in 2024 to get............also there might be more price increase until then. Home Charger went up to $750 from $500! White color was free and now $1,750 extra......only Silver is free for now. I will go back and enjoy the ICE cars for the next 4-5yrs until EV starting using Solid State Battery. Hello 2023 Genesis G90, i am Nick : ) Good luck to everyone who is staying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been on the wait-list for more than 3 years, was in the top 5,000 orders and scheduled to take delivery of my R1S in May. I just confirmed this last week.

Totally blindsided by the price increase. 19% for me, putting what was already an expensive SUV into the "only a DB would drive it" category.

I'm cancelling. Worse still, I feel like I was played for a fool by Rivian. On the live chat customer service, I was told my $72,500 price would have been locked in "if only you had started the digital purchase process earlier". I waited 3 years!! How can you do this to me now?

I was an evangelist for this brand, based on specs and a cool design. I was willing to take a flyer on an unproven car and company, to which I was loyal for three years. The ideal customer some might say. But now Rivian just kicked me right in the nuts. I'm done with this company and will let everyone know: only douches drive Rivians.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I too placed an order for the F-150 on day one. Even ordered and my price is locked in. It scheduled for production and due for delivery around June/July. Originally, I figured, this is how much time Rivian had to take my official order for the truck they told me I would get around July-September. With the demand for the F-150, figured the dealer would be happy to keep and sell it if I didn't actually buy it. Now, cancelled my Rivian order. Looking more likely the $77,000 F-150 Lightning will be the one in my driveway by summer. More truck for $17,000+ less money. I like the size of off-road appeal of the Rivian, but, not that much.

Unless GM tells me I can have a Hummer in my driveway by September, which is still possible, looks like Ford wins my business. Will give all this consideration again in a couple of years. In the meantime, will just be happy to no longer be waiting for a blanking EV truck to arrive!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I frankly cannot afford a Rivian now and doubt that I am alone. Of course, I was probably not the target financial demographic for Rivian in the first place.

I've had very good luck with my Telluride, and will now be looking for a new EV-9 to be in my driveway sometime in early 2024.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Maybe you think that you will make a profit per vehicle now and the previous pricing was before was bait for the IPO and good reviews, but something isn't correct. Does inflation make white paint on an SUV (with a glass roof) go up to $1750 from $0? Accounting can't be that bad and pissing off 50K people waiting, some up to years, and giving them zero credit for being loyal to your brand is going sink you. I also got rid of my stock was lucky to get out at the bell ring this AM at 59.00.
Now you are down to 53.50, I think you lost more money on the move than gained, but it was Rivian's management that made the call. This pissed-off customer is gone. It would have been easy to give those with reservations only a 10% rate and tell them they are locked in at this price, they have done your marketing for you mostly to date, but I would not trust you that you won't raise prices again. Current deposit terms are the same as the previous. Who knows what or if you will be doing anything in 1-2-3 years. When you do, make sure the CEO steps up to the plate for his company and doesn't hide behind a vaguely worded customer service email. Easy to build a truck, hard as hell to build a brand and company the people will trust with an $80-$100K investment. You crapped right on the nameplate of your company!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone feel like they knew about this for several months (if not more) and waited till after they got all the employee vehicles in the cue first.
Timing seems about right to get all the employee vehicles ordered at the great price and then upcharge everyone else.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts